sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Daily Requirement for Omega-3's?

As far as I can tell, there no daily requirements have been issued. So should I just focus on making Omega-3's a certain percentage of my fat intake?
    Who do men say that I am?

LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LarryByrd is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Definitely. I aim to get 10g of Omega-3's a day.

Here's a reliable article for you to check out:

http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-d...5/20777/omega3
    "Hai guys Im reading Plato's Republic, Thrasymachus is an epic troll but he gets counter trolled by Socrates over and over, bitch needs to LEARN." -Gancor

bulking until the end of the year. yeah, it's gonna get nasty.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sunngodd View Post
    As far as I can tell, there no daily requirements have been issued. So should I just focus on making Omega-3's a certain percentage of my fat intake?
    Originally Posted by wave_length View Post
    Thanks Emma-Leigh, I have also noticed that there have been quite some discussions on the topic lately. What would you suggest as minimal intake and in what form (if it's not covered by normal nutrition)?
    This is very hard to say - it depends on many things such as a persons age, or stage in growth and development (or if they are pregnant/ breastfeeding in the case of a female), their training status, and if they have any underlying health concerns or goals.

Omega-6 fats (Of which I would consider LA 'essential') are usually found at sufficient levels in most peoples diets, but something around 10-20g a day (being slightly less in females/ more in males) is 'an adequate minimum' for most people (male and female) between 18 and 45 to 50 years. In terms of % of diet - most suggest about 4-6% coming from omega-6 fats.

Omega-3 fats (of which I would consider ALA, EPA and DHA all 'essential' due to the poor conversion rates) needs to be, at a minimum, a combined total about 6-7g (once again - range of between 5 and 10g). So that is about 2-4g of ALA, and a combined total of 2-3g of EPA and DHA (eg: 6 to 10g fish oil caps a day).

To combine them - it would be a 'minimum healthy % PUFA fat' of about 8-10%

But, once again - I restate that these are MINIMUMS for 'health'. They are not what is 'optimal' nor 'best', especially for those who are in heavy training or have other issues to consider.
    Also:
    Originally Posted by wave_length View Post
    That one is kind of confusing, since the "E" in "EFA" means essential.
    Without going into the details of the thread topic - in regards to EFA's specifically.... This is where many are confused by the term and have been lead to believe something different to what is true.

EFA = essential fatty acids. And they ARE essential... BUT --> A lot of people don't actually KNOW which fats are counted as essential fatty acids (and there is still a lot of debate in the nutritional community too), and what level of intake is actually 'essential'.

If people want to read about it I linked a few good articles here:
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    psssttt - total dietary fat requirements =/= EFA requirements.
    Diet fats = total fat consumed.
    EFA = essential fatty acids (those fatty acids that your body can not make but require for normal health/ functioning).

And the answer is 'it is complex' - and debate is still happening regarding which actual fatty acids ARE considered 'essential'....

But suffice to say, although those are good 'base' figures for total dietary fat - you don't need anywhere near that amount of the 'essential fatty acids'.

Few things to read:
    READ ME
    AND ME
    ANOTHER HERE
    AND HERE

RoPaWrastla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RoPaWrastla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RoPaWrastla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RoPaWrastla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RoPaWrastla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RoPaWrastla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RoPaWrastla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RoPaWrastla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RoPaWrastla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RoPaWrastla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RoPaWrastla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just shoot for a total of 3000mgs of EPA + DHA. My pills are a total of 300mgs, so I take ten a day. There isn't a big need to take them at three hour intervals, so don't worry too much about that.

Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Jesus. You don't need 10g of fish oil a day.

And what's with everyone on this site always going for only EPA/DHA? Are they aware of ALA? Are they aware that it has an ability to convert to EPA/DHA when you need it?
    I want to touch the butt.

Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Seamless View Post

And what's with everyone on this site always going for only EPA/DHA? Are they aware of ALA? Are they aware that it has an ability to convert to EPA/DHA when you need it?
    you are correct re: 10g per day, but ALA's conversion rate, particularly to DHA, is ****house, and worse too for males

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Sim882 View Post
    you are correct re: 10g per day, but ALA's conversion rate, particularly to DHA, is ****house, and worse too for males
    ^^
    This.

Basically - DHA/ EPA are very muchly useful to the body... And conversion rates from ALA suck muchly...

For details:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16828546
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16441943
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15075703
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9637947
    http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00004/art00001

gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Sim882 View Post
    repped
    Owner of Rapid Transformation Training LLC
    Transform your Mind, Body and Life

www.rapidtransformationtraining.com

krogtaar is just really nice. (+1000) krogtaar is just really nice. (+1000) krogtaar is just really nice. (+1000) krogtaar is just really nice. (+1000) krogtaar is just really nice. (+1000) krogtaar is just really nice. (+1000) krogtaar is just really nice. (+1000) krogtaar is just really nice. (+1000) krogtaar is just really nice. (+1000) krogtaar is just really nice. (+1000) krogtaar is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Seamless View Post

ALA has the ability...but very little of it actually converts.
    why stop at 10 if more still give you benefit? I'm bout 240 vs your 163...if 10 grams is ok for you is it enough for me?

edit: late to the party

SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    so... as far as health is concerned... would taking in a combined 2-3g of EPA/DHA from fish oil caps be sufficient?

here's the stats on the fish oil caps I take:

Amount Per Serving

Fish Oil ---------- 2.4g

EPA ------------- 720mg

DHA ------------- 480 mg

So, 3 servings of these a day would give a combined 3.6g EPA/DHA and a total of 7.2g "fish oil."

Any input?
    I don't always rep back, but when I do, I always rep back. ;)

SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SHIFT_Pump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^^bump
    I don't always rep back, but when I do, I always rep back. ;)

Originally Posted by SHIFT_Pump View Post
    so... as far as health is concerned... would taking in a combined 2-3g of EPA/DHA from fish oil caps be sufficient?

here's the stats on the fish oil caps I take:

Amount Per Serving

Fish Oil ---------- 2.4g

EPA ------------- 720mg

DHA ------------- 480 mg

So, 3 servings of these a day would give a combined 3.6g EPA/DHA and a total of 7.2g "fish oil."

Any input?
    Originally Posted by SHIFT_Pump View Post
    ^^bump
    This is more than adequate. And as long as you kept your overall omega-3 intake in relative balance with your omega-6 intake, you will be fine.

Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bumping an old thread here...I bought Nature Made Fish Oil which per servings (2 capsules) has 2400mg fish oil concentrate, 360mg of EPA, and 240mg of DHA. How many of these should I take if I don't eat any other significant sources of Omega 3s?

http://www.naturemade.com/Products/S...sh-Oil-1200-mg
    Label can be seen there.

Thanks!

jimmyhifly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jimmyhifly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jimmyhifly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jimmyhifly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jimmyhifly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jimmyhifly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jimmyhifly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jimmyhifly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jimmyhifly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jimmyhifly is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jimmyhifly is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    are the requirements the same for teens..or more for teens?

Originally Posted by Flat4Suby View Post
    bumping an old thread here...I bought Nature Made Fish Oil which per servings (2 capsules) has 2400mg fish oil concentrate, 360mg of EPA, and 240mg of DHA. How many of these should I take if I don't eat any other significant sources of Omega 3s?

http://www.naturemade.com/Products/S...sh-Oil-1200-mg
    Label can be seen there.

Thanks!
    This depends on why you're taking them.

Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    This depends on why you're taking them.
    Thanks for the response, I am taking them simply because I don't eat salmon or any other significant source of omega 3s and I've heard they are essential for over all well-being. Also I eat a lot of nuts for my fats which are full of omega 6 and have read that it is not good to have a large omega 6 to omega 3 ratio --- it needs to be balanced.

I am in my mid 20s and trying to gain muscle.

Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lots of studies out there about how omega3 deficiency correlates with depression.
    Omega3 is antiinflammatory, and omega6 is inflammatory.

The diets of today in general contain more omega6.

1000mg-2000mg of EPA is said to be beneficial....
    Started with 2000mg a week ago, have noticed an upped mood.
    Some say that the people in northern countries are able to cope with the dark winter because of high intake of omega3s.

thoughts miscers?

peace

Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Peppesbodega View Post
    Lots of studies out there about how omega3 deficiency correlates with depression.
    Omega3 is antiinflammatory, and omega6 is inflammatory.

The diets of today in general contain more omega6.

1000mg-2000mg of EPA is said to be beneficial....
    Started with 2000mg a week ago, have noticed an upped mood.
    Some say that the people in northern countries are able to cope with the dark winter because of high intake of omega3s.

thoughts miscers?

peace
    https://www.professional-counselling...epression.html