Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Memories Of the Old Skool Gyms

As I worked out yesterday at my gym It hit me hard that the gym lacks real benches for doing real bench presses you know the kind with a spotters platform in back , no hack squat machine, no real power racks, no etc. My gym has one Smith Machine that rarely gets used except when I do.
    I had a flashback to 1978 working out in my basement with the plastic 110# set and when I made some money sheveling snow and other work to buy another 50#'s + the 30lbs blue plates my brother left behind. Fast forward to 1981 got my first taste of working out at a real gym in Detroit, probably the only one on the east side, real crude with rock blasting, chalk smoke, several olympic benches, a couple of power racks, no dressing room, only a toilet and a sink, I was loving the 2 hours spent working out, yeah we thought 2 hour workouts were required, no treadmills, stairmasters, maybe one stationary bike. 1983 was when I got my first membership at a hardcore gym called the Weight Station in warren,mi where members were mainly powerlifters and bodybuiler types, the manager Don,was a big powerlifter dude who taught me and gave me my first strength program 5x5.
    Boy do I miss those days. I was wondering who else has had those type of moments/memories?

mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    all the time.....I "grew up" in one of the last real gyms left in my area, where everyone knew the owner, and she/he knew everyone. Where they would trade you workout drinks or free tanning or whatever for helping them out around the place. Slowly as the new "Fancy" gyms moved in, I noticed a plasma or two going up on the wall. Then as I asked her, what happend to station "Xxx" FM...she would reply "so and so complained and we had to put on light rock or easy listening"...back in the day she would have told them to go to hell. Well clearly you can see where this was going, real quick. Soon after that she had to drop prices very low to steal any members she could away from the new big gyms...

about a year after this happend, I left. She dropped prices so low, all the illegal mexicans moved in, because you didn't need a credit card...so I found myself in a pool of illegal mexicans, plasma tvs, and easy listening. I told my crew it was time for me to go, just not worth the drive anymore.

I hate my new gym everyday. rubber coated weights, 1 smith machine, 1 squat rack, 1 leg press, and 1 hack squat. but its funny, they are never in use...to many people using machines all the time. pissed one of them off yesterday when i hit them with a 40lb dumbell...walked in front of me while doing side raises...so I had to take my aggression out somehow
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."

chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mofitness4u View Post
    As I worked out yesterday at my gym It hit me hard that the gym lacks real benches for doing real bench presses you know the kind with a spotters platform in back , no hack squat machine, no real power racks, no etc. My gym has one Smith Machine that rarely gets used except when I do.
    I had a flashback to 1978 working out in my basement with the plastic 110# set and when I made some money sheveling snow and other work to buy another 50#'s + the 30lbs blue plates my brother left behind. Fast forward to 1981 got my first taste of working out at a real gym in Detroit, probably the only one on the east side, real crude with rock blasting, chalk smoke, several olympic benches, a couple of power racks, no dressing room, only a toilet and a sink, I was loving the 2 hours spent working out, yeah we thought 2 hour workouts were required, no treadmills, stairmasters, maybe one stationary bike. 1983 was when I got my first membership at a hardcore gym called the Weight Station in warren,mi where members were mainly powerlifters and bodybuiler types, the manager Don,was a big powerlifter dude who taught me and gave me my first strength program 5x5.
    Boy do I miss those days. I was wondering who else has had those type of moments/memories?
    ah the good ol days...I first walked into our gym up north, it was nothing fancy at all....the first thing you saw was a hug sign that said " Go Heavy or Go Home ! the people lifting were loggers, biker types. and locals. I strolled in there at a buck fifty.....I could not bench anything, I matched everyones intensity and grew like crazy....the owner was Mr. North America a few times at that time. It was old School....Heavy metal blaring and hard core lifting. I never did 10 reps the whole time I lifted there...I can remember thinking these guys are old.....its me now
    " Your only true competion in life is the person who works harder then you "

mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Angry

That's exactly what I mean. All the real equipment replaced with, treadmills.Back in the day you go outside to jog, not in a crowded gym. Back in the day you could grunt, scream, or just get animal in the gym, now they tell you to tone it down, or post a sign, please no loud noises while working out, it makes me sick, I really hate my gym, but only go there out of convenience, (it's 24hr). I wish there were a few harcore gyms around me, even the powerhouse gyms have gonna soft, they should change name to cardio house gyms, gosh.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mofitness4u View Post
    I train at one "Iron World" 1st hardcore gym in our town...it's been around since the early 70's. I remember back when I was 16 yrs and I tried to join, but back then they didn't allow women to train there. The owner finally let me join when I was around 24 yrs (I was the 2nd woman to join that gym) I think there's maybe 5 women now.

No membership required $20 a month...can't beat that!!

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Personally, I've always liked working out in dirty beat up ole places.

In college our weight room was called the barn.

Then worked out in a gym that was an old garage.

Then a gym were all the ceiling tiles were broke and cob webs were in all the corners.

Maybe that's why I lift in my garage now?

lol

Clean gyms make me feel like I can't sweat.
    Was friends with Methuselah

Realmofo is just really nice. (+1000) Realmofo is just really nice. (+1000) Realmofo is just really nice. (+1000) Realmofo is just really nice. (+1000) Realmofo is just really nice. (+1000) Realmofo is just really nice. (+1000) Realmofo is just really nice. (+1000) Realmofo is just really nice. (+1000) Realmofo is just really nice. (+1000) Realmofo is just really nice. (+1000) Realmofo is just really nice. (+1000)
    My gym is old school in NY, even the weights probably date back to the 70's, all the machines you mentioned are still there, old arnold and bodybuilding posters. It's truly out of a 70's movie, we even have real Italians and Russians (from actual Italy and Russia) lol that just got off the boat and dont speak English and have like 2 girls that go there and they are ripped.

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had never worked out in an old school gym until I went to Ireland for a year with my family. Most of the gyms in Galway were all balls and no bars until I found Galway City Gym. When I walked in, I saw that fully half of the gym was devoted to free weights. The machines they had looked as old as my father and some of the stuff looked home-made. The free weights area had two lifting platforms, bumper plates, squat rack, power rack, and chalk. The dumbells looked like they were a high-school welding project, but they were heavy and that's all that mattered. (I eventually volunteered to paint weights on the sides of the dumbells to make them a little more user-friendly.)

The guy behind the counter was a former powerlifter named Tony, who told me, "We have no fancy pool or spa. All we have to offer you is hard work."
    "That's fine" I replied "I plan to spend most of my time over there." indicating the free-weights area.
    Tony smiled and said, "You're a man after me own heart."
    I paid cash for a year's membership on the spot and never had to fill out any damn contracts or legal releases.

There was one guy, Adrian, who acted as the "trainer" when he was home from college. He worked for the gym, cleaning and fixing things, and offered his training services for free. He caught me one day doing reverse flies with a rounded back and gave me a stern lecture on using proper form no matter how much or little weight was being lifted.

Grunting was allowed and even encouraged at GCG. After one set Clem, a competing powerlifter of 75, shouted out, "Come on Steve, Roar!" Later, I saw Clem and another lifter get into a grunting contest that had me laughing so hard I had to put my dumbells down.

Clem was always good for a spot and gave me plenty of encouragement and advice. When I failed to get my reps on bench press, another lifter told me, "You need more spuds!" and he was right.

I had no car in Ireland and walked to Galway City Gym three days a week for a year. As I made my regular 1.5 mile trek, often through the cold Irish rain, with my gym bag over my shoulder, I passed by the ball-boy gyms and never had a second thought about their convenience.

When I got back to Houston, it was tough and discouraging looking for a new gym. I didn't want fancy new equipment or skinny, well-groomed trainers. I wanted old equipment. I wanted a lifting platform, bumpers, racks, benches and chalk. I wanted a friendly atmosphere of hard work and encouragement. I wanted grunting and the clatter of iron to be louder than the stereo.

I almost gave up on my search for an old school gym when I wandered into Hank's Gym. They had everything I needed plus the place was so big that they also had plenty of balls and even a PowerPlate. I don't mind the frills because way in the back corner where no one goes without serious intent are the squat rack, power rack, lifting platform, bumpers, and chalk.

jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Gyms are very sterile now almost like hospitals. I think the "old school" way of training is coming back though. I saw on the news the other day how "old school" was all the rage in Hollywood, they acted like they had discovered something new, something that nobody else knew about...
    "Before my father died, he said the worst thing about growing old was that other men stopped seeing you as dangerous. I've always remembered that, how being dangerous was sacred, a badge of honor." - Act Of Valor

afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Me too....I left my last Gym 4 years ago because it had become more of a club than a gym. People sitting on equipment, talking on phones, working out with their girlfriends, what the hell? Went downtown to the city gym, which is an old high school. Most of the guys in their look like they just got out of prison and it took a few weeks to fit in, but I'll never go back now. I've worked out harder with these guys than I ever have. Bring back the ole' days!

tatnall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Years ago I was working out with a friend who was a competitive power lifter. He took me to his gym. It was a cinder block house in a declining neighborhood. Inside they had ripped out all the walls and carpet. Nothing but weights everywhere. All the good stuff and nothing unecessary. Lots of old metal milk crates. There were about 10 members who paid $5 per month and chipped in if they wanted to buy something expensive.

My current gym is all about freemotion, yoga and weakling 'trainers' who you wouldn't even trust to give you a spot, not to mention workout advice. However, it has decent benches, a good squat rack and a good selection of DBs. Nobody uses the free weights unless they are doing 5 lb curls sitting on a swiss ball or bongo board, so I have that part pretty much to myself, so it works for me.

afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10) afterguard is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What part of NC?

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Pic of my first gym in 1954. Bert Goodrich's Hollywood Gym. Home of Steve Reeves, Larry Scott and Bill Smith. (and a skinny ass 14 year old little Baldie...lied about my age)

Old school for sure....no music, no AC, plenty of chalk, no females allowed, lots of expltives, no shirts required, no foo foo machines, my kinda place.......
    Attached Images

"Snip it Doc,snip it hard LyingSac's Avatar
    LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Good Thread There "mo"

I Miss The Comradary....it Seems Like Back In The Day Everybody Was On The Same Page....
    Land of Honalee

KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I just got back from the Florida Keys. While in Key West, I found an old school gym named Iron Bodies (I believe). It was on Truman, near White. It was as if you were suddenly in a black and white movie. Old rubber flooring over wood. Deadlift platforms. No AC, just big fans. Old black and white magazine pages/photos of the old masters like Arnold, Franco, and Zane on the mirrors. The newest picture was of Dorian Yates. Lots of chalk. Smelled like limburger cheese and onions. Lots of grunting and not too much chatter.

I felt like I was in some dungeon from my late teen years. I got so jazzed that I ended up going too heavy and pulled/strained my lower neck doing overhead presses.

If you're ever in Key West, check the place out. Ten bucks for a guest workout.
    Envy is ignorance. Imitation is suicide.

-----R. W. Emerson

Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1st hardcore gym that I worked out in was in 1993, it was literly 12feet by 30 feet. We had 3 benches, a preacher curl station, squat rack and a pile of dumbells that started at 50. Heavy metal was always on a beat up boom box in the corner. We could fit 20 people in that space sweating like pigs grunting swearing and pissing each other off every day.

Now I am at a nice gym with every type of machine that you could ever need, but still will never feel the same as the hole in the wall that I started out in.
    Instagram @captloufitness

Get comfortable being uncomfortable

USMC 89-97

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    for a very brief time period, maybe about 2 years, I worked out at a local YMCA with my wife's cousin, at that time, an avid workout partner.

this was hardcore all the way!

not ONE single fitness equipment, nothing but cold hard steel, some pulleys and a few outdated beat up nautilus cam type thingies.....

sweaty.....Loud...with endless screaming and grunting.....GREAT!

Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sytennison View Post
    I had never worked out in an old school gym until I went to Ireland for a year with my family. Most of the gyms in Galway were all balls and no bars until I found Galway City Gym. When I walked in, I saw that fully half of the gym was devoted to free weights. The machines they had looked as old as my father and some of the stuff looked home-made. The free weights area had two lifting platforms, bumper plates, squat rack, power rack, and chalk. The dumbells looked like they were a high-school welding project, but they were heavy and that's all that mattered. (I eventually volunteered to paint weights on the sides of the dumbells to make them a little more user-friendly.)

The guy behind the counter was a former powerlifter named Tony, who told me, "We have no fancy pool or spa. All we have to offer you is hard work."
    "That's fine" I replied "I plan to spend most of my time over there." indicating the free-weights area.
    Tony smiled and said, "You're a man after me own heart."
    I paid cash for a year's membership on the spot and never had to fill out any damn contracts or legal releases.

There was one guy, Adrian, who acted as the "trainer" when he was home from college. He worked for the gym, cleaning and fixing things, and offered his training services for free. He caught me one day doing reverse flies with a rounded back and gave me a stern lecture on using proper form no matter how much or little weight was being lifted.

Grunting was allowed and even encouraged at GCG. After one set Clem, a competing powerlifter of 75, shouted out, "Come on Steve, Roar!" Later, I saw Clem and another lifter get into a grunting contest that had me laughing so hard I had to put my dumbells down.

Clem was always good for a spot and gave me plenty of encouragement and advice. When I failed to get my reps on bench press, another lifter told me, "You need more spuds!" and he was right.

I had no car in Ireland and walked to Galway City Gym three days a week for a year. As I made my regular 1.5 mile trek, often through the cold Irish rain, with my gym bag over my shoulder, I passed by the ball-boy gyms and never had a second thought about their convenience.

When I got back to Houston, it was tough and discouraging looking for a new gym. I didn't want fancy new equipment or skinny, well-groomed trainers. I wanted old equipment. I wanted a lifting platform, bumpers, racks, benches and chalk. I wanted a friendly atmosphere of hard work and encouragement. I wanted grunting and the clatter of iron to be louder than the stereo.

I almost gave up on my search for an old school gym when I wandered into Hank's Gym. They had everything I needed plus the place was so big that they also had plenty of balls and even a PowerPlate. I don't mind the frills because way in the back corner where no one goes without serious intent are the squat rack, power rack, lifting platform, bumpers, and chalk.
    Great story!!!

My high school gym was old school (no pun intended). That place hadn't seen a new piece of equipment since Nixon was in office. If it broke, it was taken to the metal shop, fixed and returned. We did have a few machines, but they were in a seperate room about 50' away. That's where all the "tough guys" would show off for the cheerleaders, but they wouldn't dare come into the free weight room for some reason? No AC, not even a window. Chalk dust so thick you would choke. Spent many days in there, and loved them all. Now I'm in my garage by myself, and I love it!!!
    "Is it REALLY a passion if it gets abandoned the first time things get tough?

If it is then I suggest finding another passion because things will be tough MUCH more than they will be easy."

-Dave Tate

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    I remember the place where I worked out while in college. A couple of blocks off campus, it was the street level of a two-story house, with a big plate-glass front window. Owned by the son of the guy who owned a small family-owned bar a few doors down from the gym that we used to hang out at. They had one of those circuit training machines stuck into a little side room that NOBODY ever used, and the rest of the place was just hard core free weights - power racks, benches, inclined benches, a homemade t-bar rower or two and a few of the old nautilus machines. I don't think there was a shower, but yes a bathroom and water fountain and that was it. Loved that place!

You want Cardio? Ride your bike or run to and from the gym. Or else try one of the expensive ladies health spas out by the mall.

They had a few of the regulars who competed in various powerlifting competitions and the owner eventually tried to talk me into signing up for a local bodybuilding compettition but I never quite got buff enough to allow myself to seriously consider it.
    Last edited by DaddyR; 02-20-2009 at 11:57 AM.
    Overweight and arrogant

Registered User DeathtoToasters's Avatar
    DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000)
    Great stories!

redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000) redweston is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up Power House Toledo

Pretty much ole school here, big speakers hanging from the ceiling blasting out the tunes, two smith machines, two leg press, power rack, tons of weights and benches, mirrors on all the walls, dumbells up to 150 #, hammer strength machines, and we have cardio equipment, oh yea it's open 24 hours and the owner does man the desk ! You'll see chalk on the floor in the back room where the free weights are, it's called the "power pit', I call it home !

Keeponpumpin!- red
    Enjoy The Pump Of Life !!

IT'S NOT WHAT KIND OF CAR YOU DRIVE THAT COUNTS, IT'S THE SIZE OF THE ARM YOU HANG OUT THE WINDOW!

tatnall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by afterguard View Post
    What part of NC?
    The hardcore one was in Durham. The current yuppie one is in Charlotte.

oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by redweston View Post
    Pretty much ole school here, big speakers hanging from the ceiling blasting out the tunes, two smith machines, two leg press, power rack, tons of weights and benches, mirrors on all the walls, dumbells up to 150 #, hammer strength machines, and we have cardio equipment, oh yea it's open 24 hours and the owner does man the desk ! You'll see chalk on the floor in the back room where the free weights are, it's called the "power pit', I call it home !

Keeponpumpin!- red
    hell yea brother!

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4141593

I was talking about old school characters - but they trained in old skool gyms. I just bought weights and work out in my garage now specifically to get back at that feel and am getting the best workouts I've had in years.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Only time I have ever been in an old school gym was back when I was in high school during the 70s. One of the guys there was a 6'5" monster by the name of Lou Ferrigno. He made the gym "famous" by filming it in Pumping Iron. The gym was Iron Man on Avenue U in Brooklyn. Those were the days
    Squat heavy or go home

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/enigmapower

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by EnigmaPower View Post
    Only time I have ever been in an old school gym was back when I was in high school during the 70s. One of the guys there was a 6'5" monster by the name of Lou Ferrigno. He made the gym "famous" by filming it in Pumping Iron. The gym was Iron Man on Avenue U in Brooklyn. Those were the days
    In the film it looks like LF's training in 2 different places: in the earlier sequence doing fake inclines with 135lbs (by fake I mean he's faking it as a painful experience but ****, couldn't have been that bad with that weight) and the later one, more legitimate, where he's doing the militaries screaming "Arnold!"

Are they the same place? Or which gym was it?
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

Darth_Fedor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darth_Fedor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darth_Fedor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darth_Fedor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darth_Fedor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darth_Fedor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darth_Fedor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darth_Fedor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darth_Fedor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darth_Fedor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darth_Fedor is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    this is a very motivational thread, reps for op. Makes me want to throw some metal around. Reminds of the "rec center" where i grew up, they had a weight room that was pretty old, no machines, benches had been spray painted to make them look nicer, all metal weights(didnt even realize i missed em until reading this thread). I was planning on skipping the gym tomorrow but now im going to bed so i can get up and go early, Thanx!

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    In the film it looks like LF's training in 2 different places: in the earlier sequence doing fake inclines with 135lbs (by fake I mean he's faking it as a painful experience but ****, couldn't have been that bad with that weight) and the later one, more legitimate, where he's doing the militaries screaming "Arnold!"

Are they the same place? Or which gym was it?
    The earlier gym was in Brooklyn. The latter was a different one.
    Squat heavy or go home

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/enigmapower

You guys all have great stories!! This is why I started this, sometimes you think your alone. I wish I could find one in the Detroit area, heeeellllpp! I went to a diff. location of my er, gym only to feel uncomfortable by the crowd, men acted more like women, if you know what I mean.
    If I had the resources I would open my own and call it "Mo's Hardcore Brickhouse Gym", or something to that effect.

You guys all have great stories!! This is why I started this, sometimes you think your alone. I wish I could find one in the Detroit area, heeeellllpp! I went to a diff. location of my er, gym only to feel uncomfortable by the crowd, men acted more like women, if you know what I mean.
    If I had the resources I would open my own and call it "Mo's Hardcore Brickhouse Gym", or something to that effect.