DJFaninTN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJFaninTN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJFaninTN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJFaninTN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJFaninTN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJFaninTN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Help an old, fat out of shape man

I am 47 and grew tired of watching my weight balloon skyward. In Oct 08 I found out my thyroid was very low hence one reason my weight was going up, up, up.

At that point in time I hit 255lbs. That is nothing but a fat ass for sure on a 6' frame. Fast forward to Jan 01, 2009. I got my old lazy ass on the treadmill and away I went. I could hardly get past one mile before my legs were toast. As of today I am up to 5 miles per day on the treadmill (walking only). My shins begin to hurt after the five mile mark. My weight right now is 228lbs, so yes I am making progress. I have tried running a little but body just refuses!! I just ordered some new shoes and I think that is going to help.

As far as diet I have quit all sodas and sweet tea (my real weakness) and take in about a gallon of water per day. No more fast food, nothing fried. Just eating lean chicken, tuna, fish along with fresh fruits. I hate veggies so that is a problem. My intake per day is about 1500 to 1800 calories per day. I have also added at least one protein shake per day along with taking some CLA.

So I joined the gym this morning and my first trip is the afternoon. I am looking forward to it but I know my old ass is going to be sore. But I figure its all worth it in the long run.

Any pointers or suggestions to helping the weight fall off? I'd post pics but I'll spare you the horror at this time. I have taken some before pics and some day I will post them when I am making better progress.

So should I concentrate on the cardio to help in the weight loss or start pushing the weights as well???

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    I am 47 and grew tired of watching my weight balloon skyward. In Oct 08 I found out my thyroid was very low hence one reason my weight was going up, up, up.

At that point in time I hit 255lbs. That is nothing but a fat ass for sure on a 6' frame. Fast forward to Jan 01, 2009. I got my old lazy ass on the treadmill and away I went. I could hardly get past one mile before my legs were toast. As of today I am up to 5 miles per day on the treadmill (walking only). My shins begin to hurt after the five mile mark. My weight right now is 228lbs, so yes I am making progress. I have tried running a little but body just refuses!! I just ordered some new shoes and I think that is going to help.

As far as diet I have quit all sodas and sweet tea (my real weakness) and take in about a gallon of water per day. No more fast food, nothing fried. Just eating lean chicken, tuna, fish along with fresh fruits. I hate veggies so that is a problem. My intake per day is about 1500 to 1800 calories per day. I have also added at least one protein shake per day along with taking some CLA.

So I joined the gym this morning and my first trip is the afternoon. I am looking forward to it but I know my old ass is going to be sore. But I figure its all worth it in the long run.

Any pointers or suggestions to helping the weight fall off? I'd post pics but I'll spare you the horror at this time. I have taken some before pics and some day I will post them when I am making better progress.

So should I concentrate on the cardio to help in the weight loss or start pushing the weights as well???

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
    Maybe this guide will be able to help you:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=68

Best of luck for your goals, getting lean is not that hard, all that's required is patience and following a few simple rules.
    How to lose fat for Noobs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

Xbrutalx233 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xbrutalx233 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xbrutalx233 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xbrutalx233 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xbrutalx233 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xbrutalx233 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xbrutalx233 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xbrutalx233 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xbrutalx233 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xbrutalx233 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xbrutalx233 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If your anything like me... you'll dig the **** out of the gym... I'm stoked to go to the gym. I enjoy the hell out of some cardio. I'm still trying to get my lifting routine going, it's weird going in a room with a 100 things and having no idea what to do ... haha.
    April 21st- 331.8lbs
    April 28th- 323.2lbs
    May 5th- 318.0 lbs
    May 12th- 313.8lbs
    May 19th- 309.8lbs
    May 26th- 308.2lbs
    June 2nd- 305.4lbs
    June 25th- ?????

Flunked on my first goal so giving myself a couple extra weeks to reach 299!

DJFaninTN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJFaninTN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJFaninTN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJFaninTN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJFaninTN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJFaninTN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well I made it through the first visit. not too bad but I am already sore. BUT I will be back tomorrow and going at it again.

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm 54 and got 6 weeks in at the gym this year. I had a tough time doing 5 minutes on the treadmill at first and now do 30 minutes 4 x a week. I was around 245 lbs, now down to about 232. I can see the muscle already, I wasn't in that bad shape when I started.

I'm doing the machines, which really do work and are less liable to hurt you for starting out. I have some injuries that prevent me from doing squats and other free weight exercises, but maybe in the future once I get some mass going for me.

I'm really not sore unless I over do a muscle group. Aleve works wonders if you do ache.

Read up on calories, you are probably at a defecit if you are doing a substantial work out. We're about the same size, maintenance for me is around 2600 calories, I'm trying to do around 3200 right now.

Good luck, make us old geezers look good!

BG

911medic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 911medic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 911medic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 911medic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 911medic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 911medic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 911medic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 911medic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 911medic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 911medic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 911medic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm an old guy, too and lost over a 100#'s in the last 3 years. I know you want to get that extra fat off as quickly as possible, but be careful. Too fast weight loss will result in loose skin issues. Keep your weight loss in the 2 -3 lbs/week range and stay with the weights. Keep the cardio as well, but for my $0.02 worth, lift regularly and keep cardio to about 20 mins a day.

I wish someone had to me this when I started. I lost most of the weight, then started weight lifting. In the process, I lost a lot of muscle and believe me, gaining muscle mass over 40 takes a hell of a lot of work.

Beyond all that though, don't stop. The results are worth every mile, every rep, all the pain, and all the skipped desserts.

Good luck to you! You CAN do this.
    The Alabama Crimson Tide Roll Tide!

Atlanta Falcons

Donald Trump for President crew

not only am I trying to retrain my body but my mind as well. It sounds weird that I need more calories but after reading and reading I have found that is what I need to do.

that being said I started bumping up the calories today. it's funny but the wife and I were having that same conversation. she is working on her weight as well. she's having a hard time losing and I suggested that she bump up her calorie intake.

THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by wave_length View Post
    Maybe this guide will be able to help you:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=68

Best of luck for your goals, getting lean is not that hard, all that's required is patience and following a few simple rules.
    THIS