mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Creatine Causing Weight Plateau on Cut (With Picture!)

Hey guys!

It seems you can garner a lot more interest in your threads if you have a picture involved! Mine's more of a chart than a picture per se.

Basically I was just looking for confirmation that my weight loss plateau is due to the fact that I have started taking creatine.

I'm on a cut, eating aroun 2,000 calories per day. Fit Day recommends 2,700.

I'm 5' 10" and 23 years old.

I started charting my weight each day on fit day, and seemed to be losing abotu 2 pound per week in the first few weeks.

About 10 days ago I started loading creatine. At first I saw a huge drop in weight, but I think that was co-incidental and based on a statistical outlier the day before (see chart).

However, about 3 days after starting creatine loading, my weight loss completely stopped. Despite the fact that I have maintained my 700 calorie deficit.

Is it fair to assume I am still losing fat, but the creatine is causing me to gain water weight at the same rate? Therefore my weight isn't dropping?

When should I expect the affect of the creatine to slow down and to start dropping weight again?

Regardless, I am eating at a deficit, so I am losing fat and/or muscle, even if the scale isn't showing it, right?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by mightyb0y; 02-18-2009 at 06:27 AM. Reason: embed image

Anders0n74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anders0n74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anders0n74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anders0n74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anders0n74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anders0n74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anders0n74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anders0n74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anders0n74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anders0n74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Anders0n74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It may not just be the creatine, it could also be that your body has gotten used to your daily caloric intake. Unless doing a keto diet, you should slowly decrease your calories each week by 200-300 calories.

May I ask which creatine you're currently taking? If it's straight creatine monohydrate, then chances are it's a combination of both the diet and the creatine.

Post what your daily meal plan looks like.

dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Loading is not necessary.

Creatine holds water intercellularly, so you may show a brief stop in WEIGHT loss, but I don't care about that... when I cut, my goal is FAT loss. Are you only monitoring your progress using the scale, or are you using measurements, the mirror, and the fit of your clothes?

EDIT: You're 5'10, how much are you trying to lose? I'm 5'0 and only 20 lbs lighter than you!
    NPC Bodybuilder, Mother and Hater Extraordinaire

Sponsored by Prep & Rep Kitchen

Registered User iKoniConSciencE's Avatar
    iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50) iKoniConSciencE will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was cutting and then started creatine in hopes to maintain muscle mass and lose fat while continuing to lose weight. Instead, the scale went up five pounds. It went down three once I stopped the creatine and now I have two more that I need to work off the old fashioned way.

As mentioned above, creatine promotes water retention, so that may explain the difference in the scale.

I suggest getting a home body fat monitor. You can buy a hand held one that is pretty inexpensive and very accurate.

Make sure you are drinking a gallon of water a day, too.

Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shatter is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Firstly, creatine is just water weight. Stick with it, as it will not slow down fat loss even if it looks less impressive on the scale.

Secondly, if you're 5'10 and ~154lbs, why on earth are you cutting?! I assume you're male? I am guessing you're going to be paper-thin if you cut any further.
    If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, maybe they can do something with you.

mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10) mightyb0y is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses!

It seems the general concensus is that my creatine (monohydrate) is causing me to gain water weight whilst I lose fat, and that my body is becoming used to the lower calorie intake.

Is a 3500 calorie day on the cards to jump start my metabolism? Or is this a myth?

My dietary goals at the moment are to eat around, or just under 2,000 calories a day. I am aiming for about 150g protein and 80g fat, and letting the carbs make up the difference. I'm pretty lax on the fat though.

If you're particularly interested, you can see what I've been eating at my fitday page:

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...wner=mightyb0y

And as to why I am still cutting at this weight, yes I am thin, but I'm not ridiculously thin yet or anything, don't worry. The big issue is my stomach and 'love handles' being so stubborn. I'm almost done with my cut, but I am trying to kill them off before I begin my bulk.

Here's me about a week ago. Forgive the stupid expression, I find it really weird using the self timer on the camera.

Thanks again!

user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you need to stop dieting and starting working on putting lean muscle on your body ASAP!
    Gaspari Nutrition Rep and Overall BAMF
    www.gasparinutrition.com
    alec @ gasparinutrition.com

Turning into a pirate-grizzy bear hybrid! --- Bulkin to 230!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127371573

TRAIN INSANE: http://vimeo.com/7472199

Thanks AConrad00. I might leave this open to get a few opinions and decide what to do from there. Don't get me wrong, I see your point, and I wasn't planning on cutting much longer, I very close to starting my bulk, I just want to shift that excess belly fat.

All opinions welcome...

Thanks.

KelVarnsen will become famous soon enough. (+50) KelVarnsen will become famous soon enough. (+50) KelVarnsen will become famous soon enough. (+50) KelVarnsen will become famous soon enough. (+50) KelVarnsen will become famous soon enough. (+50) KelVarnsen will become famous soon enough. (+50) KelVarnsen will become famous soon enough. (+50) KelVarnsen will become famous soon enough. (+50) KelVarnsen will become famous soon enough. (+50) KelVarnsen will become famous soon enough. (+50) KelVarnsen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You don't need to cut calories, you need to eat.

If you throw 10 pounds of muscle on that frame you'll lose the little bit of fat on your gut.

Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Grinners is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    High protein, hard work.
    "Testosterone levels peak during a man's late 20's but decline soon after, decreasing about 1.5 percent per year after age 30. "

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

!!!+052 kcab per lliW

Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mickfootie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AConrad00 View Post
    you need to stop dieting and starting working on putting lean muscle on your body ASAP!
    Have to agree with AConrad. You need muscle mass built onto your frame before cutting anything off it.
    Keep the diet clean but work on gaining muscle through diet and training. It is inevitable you will put a little body Fat on whilst gaining muscle but if the diet is clean then it will be minimal and easy to remove when you want to cut it off.
    Believe to Achieve
    Work Hard Play Hard
    The above are my views only and do not constitute to medical advice

BrainSlayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrainSlayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrainSlayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrainSlayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrainSlayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrainSlayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrainSlayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrainSlayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrainSlayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrainSlayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrainSlayer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

I just started taking creatine mono My weight jumped up 5 pounds too.

I feel Plumpy, feels like my biceps are going to burst. I feel like I'm Getting Pumps from just water and Creatine LOL. Definitely got some strength gains,been able to do couple more reps of Dips & pull ups after 2 1/2 - 3 weeks.

I did not load just 5g everyday

Negativecreep0 is just really nice. (+1000) Negativecreep0 is just really nice. (+1000) Negativecreep0 is just really nice. (+1000) Negativecreep0 is just really nice. (+1000) Negativecreep0 is just really nice. (+1000) Negativecreep0 is just really nice. (+1000) Negativecreep0 is just really nice. (+1000) Negativecreep0 is just really nice. (+1000) Negativecreep0 is just really nice. (+1000) Negativecreep0 is just really nice. (+1000) Negativecreep0 is just really nice. (+1000)
    may I ask why you are cutting?