enycezbigd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need Advice on Reps and Sets please!!

Hey guys, I just wanted some different opinions on what I should do as far as sets and reps are concerned. I've been doing 3 sets for each exercise, 10 reps first, second set i try to hit like 6 or 7, third i try to do 3 or 4. Of course I increase weight for each set. Do you guys think it's effective? As far as results I have gotten stronger, but I haven't gotten bigger, as that's pretty much due to lack of nutrition and consistency...

So i just want to know what you guys do? I'm looking into doing the whole heavy weight for a first set then going lower in weight for the consecutive sets but I'm not too sure at the moment.

I need the advice guys I'm really determined now, any responses are much appreciated!!!

l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by enycezbigd View Post
    Hey guys, I just wanted some different opinions on what I should do as far as sets and reps are concerned. I've been doing 3 sets for each exercise, 10 reps first, second set i try to hit like 6 or 7, third i try to do 3 or 4. Of course I increase weight for each set. Do you guys think it's effective? As far as results I have gotten stronger, but I haven't gotten bigger, as that's pretty much due to lack of nutrition and consistency...

So i just want to know what you guys do? I'm looking into doing the whole heavy weight for a first set then going lower in weight for the consecutive sets but I'm not too sure at the moment.

I need the advice guys I'm really determined now, any responses are much appreciated!!!
    3 sets is fine.
    The first set go 70% MR, then end at 12 reps.
    second if you will fail close to 12 reps do it, if you can blow past 12 you need to up the weight on the second set.
    3 set try to fail at 7 to 9 reps, you need to hit it hard on your last set.

If you do under 12 you are stimulating the muscle perfect for growth, and on the second set you stimulate it again, the 3rd set you hit it hard.
    If you fail below 7 reps your mostly developing strength, if you go over 12 reps your doing indurance.

Eat potein carb meal 30 minutes before you start your routines, and eat the same after to fuel back up and repair/recovery. (very important to eat before and after)
    Take a protein shake near the end of your workout to get it going in your body, plus it will give you a little boost with like 100 calories to help you finish up.
    Pop a caffine pill or drink a coffee before you start, get water and keep drinking while you workout.
    Stretch before and while you exercise, and do like 5 minutes on the tred to get your heart going and the caffine surging threw your body.
    You should be jacked and feel like you want to run and freak out.

Do 3 sets hit two muscle groups per workout (Bi's tri's ect) you will end up with 20 sets per workout avg (time 1 hour avg)
    Pic like 3 exercises per muscle group, hit them one after another with 1 minute rest between sets, 2-4 minutes in between exercises.
    Add some cardio after to fat burn (15 to 20 minutes 70%-80% MHR).
    Rest every other day (resting is just as important as workingout, your muscles grow while there at rest.
    You are only telling the central nervous system to build muscle while you jack them, the grow happens at rest with the nutrients you feed up to and after your workout.

Look at my workout charts for my stuff if you need more info.

Good luck my friend, It's all dedication and drive...
    Last edited by l337g0g0; 05-02-2009 at 10:21 PM.

enycezbigd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks man you've been incredibly helpful

Director:Team Ground Zero grim83's Avatar
    grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000) grim83 is just really nice. (+1000)
    id recommend 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps using heavy weights, or do 3x5 and work on increasing the weight in those rep ranges

l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) l337g0g0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by enycezbigd View Post
    thanks man you've been incredibly helpful
    One more thing, try and use dumbbells on your exercises.
    I helps build your core so you can consistently raise the weight.

Don't use isolation machines are barbells untill you get a good strong physique, when you use dumbbells the supporting muscles around the muscle your working.
    You will be much more stronger than if you use a preacher stand with a barbell and only work the one muscle.

My abs are like steal, my torso is like a marble statue.
    When I flex it of course :P

For more motavation, Stick with what i said.
    Workout 3 times a week (that is it) like a said (one hour plus cardio) for 3 months and your body composition change will be huge.
    After that you wont be able to stop yourself even if you wanted to. LOL

Peace, GL again...

m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    it would be better if you did warmup sets and then one set to failure