joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Exclamation Advice for Lifting with Bulging Disc in Neck.

I had an MRI on Friday due to neck and shoulder pain that my doctor originally thought was Scapulothoracic Bursitis. As it turns out, I have a bulging disc in my neck. I don't know any specifics since it was the receptionist who called and left me a message with the results. I don't start PT until Thursday, so I won't get any specifics until then. I was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this. If so, what can I expect?
    "If it was easy, everyone would do it."

highlight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highlight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highlight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highlight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highlight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highlight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) highlight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ergo, postural training, and traction at the very least. Make sure you tell them you are a lifter. Might need to taper your lifts for a few weeks tho (at least in the upper body). PTs can tell you how to modify lifts to put less strain on your neck in the meantime, just ask.

joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50) joverfield will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by highlight View Post
    Ergo, postural training, and traction at the very least. Make sure you tell them you are a lifter. Might need to taper your lifts for a few weeks tho (at least in the upper body). PTs can tell you how to modify lifts to put less strain on your neck in the meantime, just ask.
    I have a PL meet at the end of March (bench only), so I don't really want to taper my lifts until after that. Would wearing some kind of a brace while benching help if it keeps my neck from moving?
    "If it was easy, everyone would do it."

Jeff09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jeff09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jeff09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jeff09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jeff09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jeff09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by joverfield View Post
    I had an MRI on Friday due to neck and shoulder pain that my doctor originally thought was Scapulothoracic Bursitis. As it turns out, I have a bulging disc in my neck. I don't know any specifics since it was the receptionist who called and left me a message with the results. I don't start PT until Thursday, so I won't get any specifics until then. I was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this. If so, what can I expect?

I'd be very curious about this as well. I was diagnosed with two bulging discs in my neck as well, about 6 months ago. I went to a very reputable sports med doctor in south florida. He prescribed physical therapy. I went to PT for about 3 months, and I've been doing it on my own ever since. The doctor told me it is 'possible' to reverse a bulging disc over time with proper physical therapy. Mainly they have me working on my core, especially my back. I've found that it helps if I've very consistent about it. But he didn't tell me to avoid anything as far as workouts. He said surgery is only reserved for very bad cases, as back surgery creates pain in and of itself.

I feel from what he said, and what I've researched on my own, that its safe to keep lifting. But just to use common sense, and if the pain worsens, lay off or try something different.

Good luck man

ThisIsYourLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThisIsYourLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a pretty bad herniated disc in C6/C7 of my neck. One thing that irritates the hell out of it is dumbell shrugs. My form is perfect but it doesn't matter, it still really hurts. Make sure when you do any exercise that you don't have your chin out/down, because this puts more pressure and strain on your neck. You see a lot of people at the gym doing bicep curls, shrugs, lateral shoulder exercises, etc with their chin out. This is all bad for the neck.