Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Have any experiences with Bicep Muscle Tears or Bicep Ligament / Tendon Tears?

Anyone hear have any experiences with Bicep Muscle Tears or Bicep Ligament or Tendon Tears? How long to recover? I heard about 5 weeks of rest...

Any personal experiences?

How was your experience in the gym after your time out? Slow recovery? Lost a lot of strength?

Would taking in a lot of protein help with the recovery?

user7465 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user7465 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user7465 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user7465 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user7465 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user7465 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user7465 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user7465 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user7465 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user7465 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user7465 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Elliot0409 View Post
    Anyone hear have any experiences with Bicep Muscle Tears or Bicep Ligament or Tendon Tears? How long to recover? I heard about 5 weeks of rest...

Any personal experiences?

How was your experience in the gym after your time out? Slow recovery? Lost a lot of strength?

Would taking in a lot of protein help with the recovery?
    G'day, have you actually had it checked by a doctor/physician?

I had a mate who said he felt a similar thing, left it for nearly a week, went to the doctor only to find out it needed to be surgically re-attached. Don't get me wrong, not trying to scare you... but some injuries don't just ""recover"" they need to be fixed.

Also, a doctor will pin point exactly what it is, with the arm as a whole, an injured elbow, forearm, shoulder can actually mask the exact location of the injury. If that makes sense.

If left too long unaided it can cause further irritation and inflamation.

All the best mate.

Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I got a complete tear of one of my proximal bicep tendon from doing pullups. I head a few snapping sounds and felt pain in my shoulder.

For me, i went ahead with my surgery because i wanted to lift again and my future job in the fitness industry required me to do it, so i got it repaired.

Well, the MRI revealed i had a complete tear of my proximal bicep tendon(long head) and also a small labrum tear. Both of these were caused when i changed my grip while hanging from a pullup bar, a freak injury.

Anyway, the doc said if i wanted to continue lifting the torn bi had to be repaired however for the labral tear, it would heal by itself over time as long as i refrain form lifting for a few months. Fixing the labral would be complicated and there was a risk that i may end up worse if i operated on the labral. Therefore i went ahead with just the bi.

The surgery for my bi is known as Bicep Tenodesis, more info here: http://orthopedics.about.com/od/shou.../tenodesis.htm

The operation lasted for an hour and a half and after surgery, i awoke to find my arm in a sling but surprisingly I felt minimal pain. I was told to to move my arm and especially not to extend my arm for fear of tearing the repaired tendon.

I was discharged the next day and i was in the sling for 6 weeks. I did physiotherapy at home as the exercises were simple and didn't need any equipment other than my other arm to do.

After 6 weeks i removed my sling to find myself with a stiff shoulder. I'm currently 8 weeks post op, and so far the stiff shoulder is getting better day by day. I have petty good ROM in my shoulder and i'm walking pretty normal. There is difficulty in scratching my back with that arm though, as any behind the back movement is limited because of lack of ROM and pain. The shape of the bicep even though repaired, still doesn't seem right when i do a front bicep pose but when its hanging down, looks pretty good.

The doctor said i would get 10%-15% of my strength back with the repair and not more because i took too long a time between the day the injury occurred and the day i went for surgery. The layoff was 4 months to be exact. As a result my tendon is degenerated.

Well, good luck to you and hope for the best!

orthodoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orthodoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orthodoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orthodoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orthodoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orthodoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orthodoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    proximal tears (by the shoulder) are very different from distal (by the elbow) tears. proximally, the biceps has 2 attachments (hence "bi" in its name). the long head will tear as part of a degenerative process. since there are 2 attachments, loss of strength is not really an issue and you can start working out right away. people get it fixed ("tenodesis") mainly for cosmesis (the biceps may look asymmetric after the tear). the problem with tenodesis is not an insignificant number of people can have pain/cramping (especially if its done in a chronic case where you're stretching out a shortened muscle).

distal tears are totally different. if you don't get surgery to fix it you will lose significant strength (but usually mainly with forearm supination -- elbow flexion strength loss is not as major as the brachialis can compensate).

good luck.