Thread: Weight Vs Reps

old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weight Vs Reps

Gimme some of your experiences!

My specific issue: I do dumbell curls with 35lb dumbells. I have shoulder issues and I just can't seem to move up to 3 sets of 8 reps @ 40lbs. It hurts my shoulders more than my biceps. So, should I struggle through sets and not be able to finish them at 40lbs, or should I just stay at 35lbs where I can get through 3x8? Is there a detriment to not moving up in weight?

My arms do seem to be getting bigger, I'm just wondering what others do in my situation.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Try for 3x12 at 35.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by old-n-fat View Post

My specific issue: I do dumbell curls with 35lb dumbells. I have shoulder issues and I just can't seem to move up to 3 sets of 8 reps @ 40lbs. It hurts my shoulders more than my biceps. So, should I struggle through sets and not be able to finish them at 40lbs, or should I just stay at 35lbs where I can get through 3x8? Is there a detriment to not moving up in weight?

My arms do seem to be getting bigger, I'm just wondering what others do in my situation.
    Hmmmm.....shooting from the hip here.

Would it not be more logical to think about strengthening the shoulder area rather than thinking about adding weight to your curls.
    I would first reduce the weight to 25 pounds and see if 3x8 is doable without discomfort and work on the shoulder discomfort problem.

What is your shoulder routine?

I don't think trying to add more weight is the prudent thing but people who actually know something may chime in here.

Hope that helps and good luck...

www.soundclick.com/wayneevansproject
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50)

You could also try, Do 5 sets of 10 reps with 25lb using a slow neg. tempo (4 seconds to lower, 2 secs to curl up) resting 60 seconds between sets. If you complete all sets as listed go up to 27lb if possible or if not try 30 lbers. Ideal is to go up every week.

Another method that will blast you through you plateau is 21's using a barbell.

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wouldn't move up if your getting the gains you want with 35 pound dumbells unless your goal is moving more weight.
    IF your goal is gain more size and thats whats happening then stick with 35s and give your shoulders some time to heal/adjust before moving up.
    just my take

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

A continued effort to lift heavier weight for reps does play into the equation for building larger muscle. Strength first, then mass. Then start the cycle over. Have you tried using a preacher pad/bench? It may help to take your shoulders out of play. And one more thing. You don't have to make 5lb. jumps with the curls. Tape a 1 or 1 1/4 lb. plate to the DB and start there. Use silver tape and remove it when you're done with the DBs.

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Wayne Evans View Post

Would it not be more logical to think about strengthening the shoulder area rather than thinking about adding weight to your curls.
    I would first reduce the weight to 25 pounds and see if 3x8 is doable without discomfort and work on the shoulder discomfort problem.

I don't think trying to add more weight is the prudent thing but people who actually know something may chime in here.

I agree, If anything is hurting you while you workout your first thought should be why and what do I do to solve the problem.
    If not it will only stop progress, and the original problem, if not delt with will get worse.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    if not delt with
    Considering that the OP was talking about his shoulder, that was a very good pun
    Squat heavy or go home

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/enigmapower

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    I agree, If anything is hurting you while you workout your first thought should be why and what do I do to solve the problem.
    If not it will only stop progress, and the original problem, if not delt with will get worse.
    Yep...........
    Was friends with Methuselah

"Snip it Doc,snip it hard LyingSac's Avatar
    LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

dammit mann

Originally Posted by mofitness4u View Post
    You could also try, Do 5 sets of 10 reps with 25lb using a slow neg. tempo (4 seconds to lower, 2 secs to curl up) resting 60 seconds between sets. If you complete all sets as listed go up to 27lb if possible or if not try 30 lbers. Ideal is to go up every week.

Another method that will blast you through you plateau is 21's using a barbell.
    Mo does it again....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^do this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Land of Honalee

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)

My first thought would be that you probably are raising your shoulders somewhat. Try this, intentionally keep your shoulders down and tense your lats while you curl.
    Squat heavy or go home

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/enigmapower

antonbrn will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonbrn will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonbrn will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonbrn will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonbrn will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonbrn will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonbrn will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonbrn will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonbrn will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonbrn will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonbrn will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Form

You can try using partials, but I would say the most important thing is concentrating on your form and not hurting yourself.
    Natural is the way to be!

chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Wayne Evans View Post

DITTO- Screw up your shoulders GAME OVER- Its the center of all pushing and pulling.
    " Your only true competion in life is the person who works harder then you "

dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50)

What kind of shoulder issues? Is this a past injury? Some kind of structural problem? It's only going to get worse unless addessed specifically, as others have said.

old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) old-n-fat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think I got the confirmation I needed, but to those who question my shoulder I'll give the background.

About 12 years ago I played in an Adult Softball league in the town I worked. On one specific play I was behind the plate waiting for a throw from my left fielder and a guy rounding third just absolutely Pete Rose'd me. He was probably 240lbs, I was about 170lbs at the time. He smashed into one shoulder and then landed on top of me with my other shoulder plowing into the dirt. (side note: let that be a lesson; don't do anything stupid to you or others when playing an intramural sport)

Stubborn me thought it would go away, and I waited about 9 years before I had it looked at. I had an operation on one shoulder, after my doctor told me that the ligament or tendon or whatever that goes from your shoulderblade, up over your shoulder and connects to your bicept was actually just floating in space. There were some bone spurs in there as well, so he cleaned them up. Feels 1,000% better, but still has limitations.

I don't know what exactly happened to the shoulder I landed on, it doesn't hurt as badly but I can't really raise it up above my head without it hurting. I just know I don't want surgery, because my last one hurt so much I was either on pain meds or crying, and I think I have a pretty high threshold for pain.

So, when I'm doing the curls I mentioned in the original post, it's really less pain than it is fatigue. They just feel like they're gonna fall off if I lift anything heavier.

Thanks for all the responses!

ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    IMO you need to do higher reps,the strength will come in time.Pyramiding up in weight your reps should look something like this:
    Set One-25 reps
    Set Two-15 reps
    Set Three-12 reps
    Set Four 8-10 reps.

FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I too have a shoulder injury its my left delt. I only do one set per excercise. But my reps are very slow (8-10 secs per rep) with major intensity. Seems to work for my injury. My 2 cents.

"Snip it Doc,snip it hard LyingSac's Avatar
    LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I likes it

Originally Posted by FitCop View Post
    I too have a shoulder injury its my left delt. I only do one set per excercise. But my reps are very slow (8-10 secs per rep) with major intensity. Seems to work for my injury. My 2 cents.
    i like slow reps too...they sure are a lot more safer...i think they produce better results also.
    Land of Honalee

halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If I was you I would do something like this

10-12 reps @ 30lb dumbells (warm up set)
    8-10 reps @ 35lb dumbells (1st working set)
    6-8 reps @ 40lb dumbells (2nd working set)

On your last working set if you only make it to 6 reps, quickly drop the 40 pounders and pump out a few last reps with a lighter weight