MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up How to get big delts?

Is barbell/dumbbell press or lateral raise better at developing really big delts? Also, when doing lateral raise, is heavy weights at 8 reps better than light weights at 20 reps? Thks for any advice.

wendell80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wendell80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do a combination of all the lift's you said, your diet will be the determing factor.

Location: Just outside Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I read somewhere one of the big pro's (i'll find out later) recommended that for everything but shoulder press exercises, the weight should be dropped slightly and aim for at the least 12 reps, as the shoulders dont really get worked below this?

MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MuscleWealth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by wendell80 View Post
    Do a combination of all the lift's you said, your diet will be the determing factor.
    Yup. I am doing all together. But just wondering which really will cause massive growth as compared to the rest of exercises.

Originally Posted by Stuarty1984 View Post
    I read somewhere one of the big pro's (i'll find out later) recommended that for everything but shoulder press exercises, the weight should be dropped slightly and aim for at the least 12 reps, as the shoulders dont really get worked below this?
    So i suppose you mean lateral raise should be done slightly light but do more than 12 reps rite? But why do ronnie and other pros do really heavy for lateral raise? Is there any science behind it?

I do know strict form is ideal. But light weight with strict form don't seem to build mass! Any exercise! Correct me if I am wrong.

BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Every individual responds differently to things.

I'd recommend doing both presses and lateral raises.

I would also use a routine with 1 rep range, and then switch it up next routine.

Such as for me, right now I'm doing

Seated Dumbell Press- 5 sets of 5 reps
    Standing Side Laterals- 5 sets of 8 reps
    Bent-over Lateral Raises- 5 sets of 10 reps

Next routine will be different.. but I'm not exactly sure yet. It will depend if I go strength based or hypertrophy based. My current routine is a bit of both
    Alabama Crimson Tide

Bench PRs: 315x2, 285x6, 275x9, 225x18

Registered Camel Eater low blow's Avatar
    low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MuscleWealth View Post
    I do know strict form is ideal. But light weight with strict form don't seem to build mass! Any exercise! Correct me if I am wrong.
    progressive resistance builds mass...

with that said I use a slight swing to do laterals and make sure to hold them at the top - this is where the side delt is most activated (at the bottom of the rep its this other muscle called the supraspinatus).

I usually do my presses in heavier range 5-6 reps and my raises in the 8 up to 15 reps.

I also think stuff like dropsets/static's bla bla are very useful for shoulder isolation work

so I think a good structure for shoulder workouts is..
    -heavy presses (5-8 reps, done explosively) alternating with bent over laterals
    - Side lateral or any side delt variant

Also cables are a pretty good variant for side delt work since they provide constant tension, IMO a main reason why people feel they don't get much out of regular dumbell side laterals.

Location: Just outside Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So i suppose you mean lateral raise should be done slightly light but do more than 12 reps rite? But why do ronnie and other pros do really heavy for lateral raise? Is there any science behind it?
    I knew id remember, dorian yates, doing your raises etc lighter (not light as such) with at least 12 reps a set, to pre-exhaust the muscle, then do your presses!!

Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yup. I am doing all together. But just wondering which really will cause massive growth as compared to the rest of exercises.
    Give delts own day.

20-30 sets, various presses and raises.
    My powerlifting and death/thrash metal log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141720221&p=843503391&posted=1#post843503391

Originally Posted by BrettT07 View Post
    Every individual responds differently to things.

I would also use a routine with 1 rep range, and then switch it up next routine.

1 rep range for press or raise?

Originally Posted by Appetite View Post
    Give delts own day.

20-30 sets, various presses and raises.
    yup. I have shoulders for 1 day. I ever did all raises on 1 day. Yup it burns but dont think it really grows that big. Doing presses heavy is a differnet feel altogether. But then again, I think I might go back to doing 1 day of raises. See if I can get a better feel this time round coz the last time was like 6 mths ago.

knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    things that have worked for me:

1. low volume, high weight (3-4 reps very close to 1RM)
    2. low volume, high weight on assisting exercises (monkey rows being one of my favorites) (4-6 rep range)
    3. dynamic effort training and push press to build explosive power and to recruit more muscle fibers

i think a lot of people like high volume, medium weight because they get a bigger pump during their workout but i don't believe it achieves overall mass and strength growth as low volume, high weight does.

i've tried pre-exhaustion a few times but i don't think i ever really put it to the test for any extended amount of time. the above has worked for me and i don't really see a reason to switch it up...
    -----------------
    Chris Burke

BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    1 rep range for press or raise?
    Each. Like, for example, 5 reps on the presses and 8 reps on the raises for like 4-8 weeks.. then maybe 10 reps on the presses and 12 reps on the raises for the next 4-8 weeks
    Alabama Crimson Tide

Abominator will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abominator will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abominator will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abominator will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abominator will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abominator will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abominator will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abominator will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abominator will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abominator will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abominator will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is barbell/dumbbell press or lateral raise better at developing really big delts? Also, when doing lateral raise, is heavy weights at 8 reps better than light weights at 20 reps? Thks for any advice.
    Lower reps with heavier weight.

I'd say presses are much better for delt development, but do both. It takes time for them to grow.

Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Power_11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    They do heavy lateral raises because they're bloody strong. Most vids I've seen of Coleman he's doing 12 reps no matter the exercise.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For me, it's high repetition and volume with numerous isolation movements. I don't utilize overhead presses as a component of my routine now.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The bigger the weight , the bigger the muscle however if your form suffers because your trying to go too heavy then its counterproductive . As for exersices i find barbell presses , dumbell side laterals , bent over dumbell laterals , shrugs really put on the mass
    In Hoots We Trust.

Hey, thks for all your advice! Will take note. One other thing, as for bend over rear delt raise exercise, do you guys think by doing heavy will hit the back more instead of rear delts? Coz its really like jerking up so the back muscles come into play.

nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Lightbulb

Hey, thks for all your advice! Will take note. One other thing, as for bend over rear delt raise exercise, do you guys think by doing heavy will hit the back more instead of rear delts? Coz its really like jerking up so the back muscles come into play.
    Even though a rear delt raise is classified as an isolation exercise, the muscles in your back & traps will assist in the movement. This is where the mind-muscle connection comes into play.
    Mixing creatine mono in orange juice since 1999.

200 lbs surpassed after 29 years - Dec. 23, 2009

on this forum, squats cured cancer -manofhorror555

I go pretty light on these. For my 5 sets of 10, I use 30s for the first 3 sets and 25s on the last 2 (well, the last workout.. I'm progressing)
    Alabama Crimson Tide

Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Add side presses on the smith to your routine, they are fantastic for shoulder width. (www.youtube.com/diamonddelts)

Originally Posted by nkh View Post
    Even though a rear delt raise is classified as an isolation exercise, the muscles in your back & traps will assist in the movement. This is where the mind-muscle connection comes into play.
    Absolutely!!!

Originally Posted by BrettT07 View Post
    I go pretty light on these. For my 5 sets of 10, I use 30s for the first 3 sets and 25s on the last 2 (well, the last workout.. I'm progressing)
    Well, I do 16.5lbs for 20 reps for 4-5 sets. Sometimes I will do 44lbs for 10 reps for 4 sets. Both got feel and burn. But just dont know which weight will really spur growth?

Originally Posted by Attacus View Post
    Add side presses on the smith to your routine, they are fantastic for shoulder width. (www.youtube.com/diamonddelts)
    Well thks for the link. Will definitely try it out on the smith machine later!!!

toymr2trd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was reading an article recently where Sergio Saliva and another BB was at Venice training with a well known trainer. I have to find the damn article. I went home and tried it out. From what I remember they went light weight but holyyyy crap the form makes 25lbs. feel like 75lbs. I?ll get it from my truck and scan it then upload it. Also, I remember asking JC what was his advice on delts and his number one to do is side laterals.

Originally Posted by toymr2trd View Post
    I was reading an article recently where Sergio Saliva and another BB was at Venice training with a well known trainer. I have to find the damn article. I went home and tried it out. From what I remember they went light weight but holyyyy crap the form makes 25lbs. feel like 75lbs. I?ll get it from my truck and scan it then upload it. Also, I remember asking JC what was his advice on delts and his number one to do is side laterals.
    Pls do upload it here. Cant wait to see! Thks.

spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000)
    General consensus around here is that deltoids respond well to higher reps in the 10-15 range, especially the medial and rear deltoids.

Personally I like to go heavy on presses and lighter on raises. IMO, though, you also need to not be afraid to dip into the 6-8 rep range on things like lateral raises to gain some strength so you can move up in weight.

For delts check your ego at the door and don't be afraid to pick up the 10's, 15's, and 20lbers when training them. Anterior delts are a bit of a different story, though.

Just my .02.

Originally Posted by spot_skater View Post
    General consensus around here is that deltoids respond well to higher reps in the 10-15 range, especially the medial and rear deltoids.

Personally I like to go heavy on presses and lighter on raises. IMO, though, you also need to not be afraid to dip into the 6-8 rep range on things like lateral raises to gain some strength so you can move up in weight.

For delts check your ego at the door and don't be afraid to pick up the 10's, 15's, and 20lbers when training them. Anterior delts are a bit of a different story, though.

Just my .02.
    Point noted. Thks.

jaizy95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

the only thing that matters is intensity !