MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Ok to squat with knee pain?

I recently began weightlifting again after 10 years or so out of the gym. I completed a round of P90x late last year though so I am in decent shape, though lacking muscle mass greatly. In my early 20's I was squatting 455 for reps with knees tightly wrapped and piss poor form but never cared about form back then unfortunately.

Fast forward 10+ years and I probably got a little too aggressive with squatting heavy and attempting to fix my form at the same time. I went down just barely hitting parallel with 225 on, but I know I had all of my weight on my knees leaning forward and all. At the bottom I felt a sharp pain in my right knee. I stopped for the day and have been squatting much lower weight and trying to make sure I correct my form before I worry about going up in weight. I've added in a lot of daily stretching and just randomly sitting in the squat position during the day (my wife laughs).

From searching on line, the symptoms match those of Pattellar Tendonitis. But I guess hard to truly diagnose without a doctor. I'm going to keep an eye on it and hope to improve it without having to go that route right away since it's not too painful.

I've been reading Rippetoe's Starting strength book and watching videos online for proper squat form as well as reading everything else I can on the formum about squatting (including learning to 'Pull' myself down during a squat :-)

My question is -- Am I ok continuing to squat even with the knee pain thing going on? I squatted today and I can say that the pain actually ensures I keep my form good. Since I learned to 'push with my hips', squatting feels much better. If my form lapses at all and I use my knees to push I feel it bad so it actually seems a good thing in that regard. I just dont want to put myself out of commission as getting a good squat with perfect form is my dream goal at this point. But as it was today, squatting did not hurt my knee at all.

Thanks for any input and I hope to be talking more with you all on the forum.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    The old adage holds up, "If it hurts, don't do it." This is especially true of joint pain. Get it checked out; working through joint pain is a bad idea.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    The old adage holds up, "If it hurts, don't do it." This is especially true of joint pain. Get it checked out; working through joint pain is a bad idea.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Afternoon all....

I would go with the suggestions you've already recieved.
    IMO....even if you get a minor injury in your knee (or any joint area) it could have significant, unknown ramifications and change your workout plans forever.

Be smart on this issue weedhopper ....and good luck getting it diagnosed correctly.

www.soundclick.com/wayneevansproject
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MrNismo View Post
    I recently began weightlifting again after 10 years or so out of the gym. I completed a round of P90x late last year though so I am in decent shape, though lacking muscle mass greatly. In my early 20's I was squatting 455 for reps with knees tightly wrapped and piss poor form but never cared about form back then unfortunately.

Fast forward 10+ years and I probably got a little too aggressive with squatting heavy and attempting to fix my form at the same time. I went down just barely hitting parallel with 225 on, but I know I had all of my weight on my knees leaning forward and all. At the bottom I felt a sharp pain in my right knee. I stopped for the day and have been squatting much lower weight and trying to make sure I correct my form before I worry about going up in weight. I've added in a lot of daily stretching and just randomly sitting in the squat position during the day (my wife laughs).

From searching on line, the symptoms match those of Pattellar Tendonitis. But I guess hard to truly diagnose without a doctor. I'm going to keep an eye on it and hope to improve it without having to go that route right away since it's not too painful.

I've been reading Rippetoe's Starting strength book and watching videos online for proper squat form as well as reading everything else I can on the formum about squatting (including learning to 'Pull' myself down during a squat :-)

My question is -- Am I ok continuing to squat even with the knee pain thing going on? I squatted today and I can say that the pain actually ensures I keep my form good. Since I learned to 'push with my hips', squatting feels much better. If my form lapses at all and I use my knees to push I feel it bad so it actually seems a good thing in that regard. I just dont want to put myself out of commission as getting a good squat with perfect form is my dream goal at this point. But as it was today, squatting did not hurt my knee at all.

Thanks for any input and I hope to be talking more with you all on the forum.
    Here is a quick virtual doctor appointment for you.

Doctor: Good afternoon MrNimso, what seems to be the problem?

MrNimso: Well doc, I get this horrible pain in my right knee when I squat.

Doctor: Stop squatting. That will be 65 dollars please pay at the front desk before leaving.
    Squat heavy or go home

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/enigmapower

SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think the problem may be that you are pushing the weight down...

I'm a sad little man

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post

Pulling...
    Squat heavy or go home

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/enigmapower

MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for the responses guys. See, the pain actually is NOT when I'm squatting -- correctly anyway. The pain originated from a bad squat one day but is actually noticeable just like walking around or putting sideways pressure on my leg.

It's hard to stop doing something just because you have pain cause then you'd never get anything done! But I defintely understand what you mean when you say you have to be careful or you risk putting yourself out of commission.

CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post

Now that was funny!

mikepence is not very helpful. (-500) mikepence is not very helpful. (-500) mikepence is not very helpful. (-500) mikepence is not very helpful. (-500) mikepence is not very helpful. (-500) mikepence is not very helpful. (-500) mikepence is not very helpful. (-500) mikepence is not very helpful. (-500) mikepence is not very helpful. (-500) mikepence is not very helpful. (-500) mikepence is not very helpful. (-500)
    Sounds like an ACL tear. See a doc.

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you can squat without pain and the knee seems to be healing, I'd say go ahead and squat. I've tweaked a knee or two during squats and continued squatting on a couple of occasions. So far, extra attention to good form has allowed me to continue squatting while the knee healed. Bare in mind, though, that this has been my approach to very minor knee pain. If you're rolling around on the floor clutching you knee in pain, go see a doctor.

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by EnigmaPower View Post
    Here is a quick virtual doctor appointment for you.

Doctor: Good afternoon MrNimso, what seems to be the problem?

MrNimso: Well doc, I get this horrible pain in my right knee when I squat.

Doctor: Stop squatting. That will be 65 dollars please pay at the front desk before leaving.
    Sad, but true and why I tend to keep my little aches and pains from lifting to myself.

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Small micro tears in the early years of lifting are healed with calcium. The calcium becomes adhesions. Adhesions are like mini stalgtites and stalagmites (those limestone columns you see in caves) and can tear the Meniscus. If your PPO/HMO pays for an MRI....do it.

Baldie

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I had the exact same thing until I learned proper form. I just kept doing it.

It only takes that one rep to irritate it again so just use good form. It should be fine come tommorow or the next day.

You are right that it is from putting the weight on your toes.

Concentrate on pushing your butt back during the whole movement and try to take a wider grip so the bar will be lower. This will shift the center of gravity just a bit which should help keep you in check.

How did you like the p90x?
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    I had the exact same thing until I learned proper form. I just kept doing it.

It only takes that one rep to irritate it again so just use good form. It should be fine come tommorow or the next day.

You are right that it is from putting the weight on your toes.

Concentrate on pushing your butt back during the whole movement and try to take a wider grip so the bar will be lower. This will shift the center of gravity just a bit which should help keep you in check.

How did you like the p90x?
    Thank you, this sounds exactly like me. I do feel the pain just doing daily tasks like bending it or whatever. And in Karate we have to sit on our heels with knees forward and oh man that hurts like a *$^ch! But as long as I keep good form squatting itself seems fine.

I loved P90x and plan to go back to it later this spring to get back in beach body shape for summer.