MaximDeWinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation How to shrink/flatten my chest size

Hi people, I'm completely new to this site, having just registered with it today! Having poured through much of the threads scattered throughout and found some useful tips along the way, I felt the need to become a member so as to put forward a simple question I've never found the solution to (in spite of the many months sat scouring the internet). First thing's first, hailing from the uk, I'll describe my physique (I'll upload a photo shortly). I'm 26 years of age, 6ft tall and weigh approximately 79kg's. I've been going to the gym for about 4 years now. The main area I've been focusing on has been my biceps. I can curl about 32 - 35kg's in each hand (x4 sets of 5-6 reps). I can bench 95-97 kg's (x4 sets of 5-6 reps). Now, I'm fairly happy with my physique, however not as happy as I'd like to be. For you see, my discontent arises from the look of my chest, my pecs! They just look too big. I mean, when I'm topless it just likes like I'm a fairly well built, muscular guy (I'm not vain, honest), but when wearing a tight t-shirt it sometimes appears that I have dreaded man-boobs!!

My question is simply this; To flatten my pecs out, should I continue with benching a high weight with lower reps, or decrease the weight and increase the reps. I'm constantly hearing conflicting information regarding either option. I'd appreciate if somebody could elaborate on why they would choose either particular option.

Incidentally, I go the gym about x5 times a week. Each session, of which lasts about 1hr 45mins, I focus on 2 muscle groups. Of late (the past few months), I start each session with a bench press routine (always heavy weights), before moving onto different muscle group. So my weekly routine would pan out tomething like this:

Monday - Chest, Biceps
    Tuesday - Chest, Shoulders
    Wednesday - Chest, Triceps
    Thursday - Chest, Traps
    Friday - Chest, Biceps

My diet's also pretty good, so not really sure what the solution is. I'd also be interested in hearing how long I can expect to wait before noticing any differences in my chest.

Cheers in advance guys

MartyrMoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MartyrMoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MartyrMoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MartyrMoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MartyrMoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MartyrMoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MartyrMoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MartyrMoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MartyrMoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MartyrMoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MartyrMoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You're trying to flatten your pecs, as in losing the fatty layer or ACTUALLY flattening it ?

You can't spot reduce, for example your chest, it's a one way trip and there's definitely no other way to it. Lose the fat as the whole body or none at all.
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training... what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

meangela010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) meangela010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) meangela010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) meangela010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) meangela010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) meangela010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) meangela010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) meangela010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) meangela010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) meangela010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) meangela010 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What about your legs?

Jojax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jojax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jojax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jojax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jojax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jojax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jojax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jojax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jojax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jojax will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jojax will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think the OP means square pecs.

Your fat is like a ballon suit - it inflates as a whole when you get fat, and deflates as a whole as you get lean.

There are alot of training routines out there, but from what you say, you need to aim for a cut:

- Do cardio regularly (up to 30min daily)
    - Lift weights so you don't lose muscle
    - Do power exercises (best bang for effort)
    - Eat moderatly, enough to fuel your workouts but not too little, otherwise your body will start eating its own muscle for fuel.

Eventually you'll lose that dreaded fat.

Then, once the fat is gone, you can start lifting heavy.

BTW, you need to workout the entire body, not just the upperbody. Also, you should be doing power exercises. (Squats, bench press, deadlift)

Doing squats will make your pecs grow bigger since power exercises make your body release testosterone and other growing hormones. (and when i mean bigger, im not talking manboobs. im talking squaring them out.)
    Last edited by Jojax; 02-09-2009 at 07:30 AM.

ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think adding and increasing cardio will help you out greatly. It's probably just fat on top of the muscle that is being pushed outwards that needs to be trimmed up. What BF% are you at right now?

I also agree with adding in some deadlifts and squats, work on the bigger muscles will greatly increase lean muscle mass and help with the increase in testosterone in order to become leaner.

MaximDeWinter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

Cheers people. Feedback much appreciated.

loves being 155 lbs skinnysteve's Avatar
    skinnysteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnysteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnysteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnysteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnysteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnysteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnysteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnysteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnysteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnysteve will become famous soon enough. (+50) skinnysteve will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    dont feed the troll
    http://hbfrunfundraising.com.au/stephen_bray

RAISING MONEY FOR WEST AUSTRALIAN CANCER COUNCIL PLEASE HELP OUT DONATE 50cents and i will rep you