penypal1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) penypal1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) penypal1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) penypal1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I am working out and eating protein, why am i not gaining weight?

i have been working out for about 4 months now, but ive been having protein before and after my workout every other day now for about 2 months. I am using the smith machine, and i am currently benching(and its set to a little incline) 6 sets of 8 reps for 115 lbs, then about 40 cable curls of 30 pounds and then sometimes i work with a dumbell or barbell some. Then i rest for a day, i work out every other day.
    so why am i not gaining weight?
    Last edited by penypal1; 02-08-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Jamesslater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamesslater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamesslater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamesslater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamesslater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamesslater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamesslater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamesslater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamesslater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamesslater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jamesslater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    just drinking protein shakes isnt going to get you huge. You need to eat alot of meals 5-7 a day with good carbs, fats, proteins. As for your routine post it here 40 curls wont do anything but tone for you, and i would avoid the smith machine and strictly use barbell and dumbbell exercises

penypal1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) penypal1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) penypal1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) penypal1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ok so i just need to eat a lot more. but if i eat so much food, even though its healthy, protein food, can that send weight to my stomach and get me fatter instead of giving me more muscle and getting bigger?

STKinTHEmud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try to eat around 3300 calories a day (divided into 5 or six meals) and sleep 9 hrs a day.

drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    and not just curl and bench. i cant believe that wasnt in the first post. you have to work every muscle. try a normal split like chest/tri back/bi legs/shoulders. and do 3 different exercises per muscle group
    Misc Zombie Survival Squad: Alpha Squad

*United States Air Force*

i have a real little appetite by the way, i dont know how i can eat so much food, especially when these same foods will get old and gross so quick

SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Because your workout routine is horrible and your diet is horrible which = no results. Stop making up your own routine and get on a tried and true one like Rippetoe Starting Strength which is in the stickies. Also, start eating like a pig. No joke. You need 2500 to 3000 calories PER DAY. Doing a few bench presses and a few curls won't get you anywhere.

do i really have to work like every muscle in the body though? even my legs?? it just seems it would be so tedious to always be changing around the cables and weights on my smith machine

drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drgnframe24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ok im starting to think your trolling. but if not. yes, and legs are a huge part. dont use the smith machin use free weights.
    Misc Zombie Survival Squad: Alpha Squad

*United States Air Force*

bloodsugar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bloodsugar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bloodsugar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bloodsugar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bloodsugar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bloodsugar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bloodsugar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bloodsugar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bloodsugar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bloodsugar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bloodsugar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by penypal1 View Post
    i have a real little appetite by the way, i dont know how i can eat so much food, especially when these same foods will get old and gross so quick
    it sounds like you are not ready yet, not with that attitude. You need to do a few things that may involve a little dedication, like eat more. And yes, the workout sucks. try bench, squat,deads,military and bent over rows, 4 sets 8 reps, thats all you need. no excuses

SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Rippetoe is a 3x a week workout that has 5 different exercises. You do 3 per day 3 times a week.

The program is here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

You don't workout every muscle at your stage. These 5 exercises are the large compound ones.

No, you don't have to do anything. But if you want results, you should do a structured program and the corresponding diet. You can't do one or the other. You must do both if you expect results.

Originally Posted by drgnframe24 View Post
    ok im starting to think your trolling. but if not. yes, and legs are a huge part. dont use the smith machin use free weights.
    Yeah, hes 16 and sounds a bit immature. You aren't going to get results overnight bud. And you'll NEVER get results from what you are doing now.

im not trolling.
    and can i get all this done with the smith machine, or do i need to start going to the gym?

im not trolling.
    can i get a link to a good, dependable workout routine?
    and can i get all this done with the smith machine, or do i need to start going to the gym?
    I gave you the link to Rippetoe. Do that one. You don't need to go to a gym. Plenty of us workout at home.

Millano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i have been working out for about 4 months now, but ive been having protein before and after my workout every other day now for about 2 months. I am using the smith machine, and i am currently benching(and its set to a little incline) 6 sets of 8 reps for 115 lbs, then about 40 cable curls of 30 pounds and then sometimes i work with a dumbell or barbell some. Then i rest for a day, i work out every other day.
    so why am i not gaining weight?
    Wat u need to do is eat right and rest right. Rest doesnt mean jus sleep it means you can sit down a few hours and jus relax etc.

Do this my friend for easy diet.

Shake
    Cereal/4 eggs
    Lunch
    milk/yoghurt (pre workout)
    Shake (post workout)
    Dinner
    Snack ( Nuts/oats/Milk anything)
    Snack (Tuna on its own or with bread or nuts anything)

that eating routine is more than enough.

ok thanks everyone, i am going to try to eat a lot more and try that workout routine.

button pushing ninja mechanixhorseman's Avatar
    mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000) mechanixhorseman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think everyone else answered your actual question, but if you're using the smith machine your weight should end in a 0. The bar is weightless.

Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Millano View Post
    Wat u need to do is eat right and rest right. Rest doesnt mean jus sleep it means you can sit down a few hours and jus relax etc.

Do this my friend for easy diet.

Shake
    Cereal/4 eggs
    Lunch
    milk/yoghurt (pre workout)
    Shake (post workout)
    Dinner
    Snack ( Nuts/oats/Milk anything)
    Snack (Tuna on its own or with bread or nuts anything)

that eating routine is more than enough.
    i would agree with everything except the casein protein sources milk or yogurt pre workout with the fats and casein content it will sit like a brick and be a burden during the workouts.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
    none but ourselves can free our minds

Marcus Garvey