Bubster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rugby Workout for a prop

hey i'm 15, i play rugby for my local area and my position is prop. what i'm looking to do is improve my overall strength (preferably legs) and fitness next season. so if anyone could post a workout plan for a prop it would be very appreciated

K-Billy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K-Billy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K-Billy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K-Billy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K-Billy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K-Billy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K-Billy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K-Billy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rippetoes imo is really ideal for props or anyone in the tight five. Mainly just focus on compound exercises.

At 15 though make sure you focus more on your technique then trying to gain strength. A prop with good technique can easily outclass a stronger opponent, especially at your age

ok thanks

Location: edinburgh, scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000) toad1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    at you age id focus more on fitness and plyo's but you should be fit enough anyway it allways amazes me how fast and fit u18's and below rugby is played sometimes and also work on your general technique like passing, ball control/presentation, contact skills as its your skill level that will get you noticed etc and is much more important however if i was you,

id look to keep your work out simple for just now and only mayb do it once a week, having someone to teach you power cleans will be very beneficial. so something like

bb bench 3x6
    bb squat 3x6
    db lunges 3x8
    db curls 3x8
    power cleans 4x3

add in chin/pull ups if you can max reps

that was my first routine and one of the best ive ever had as its simple and gives you all the lifts you need aslo unless u get alot taller id be looking to move to hooker in the next couple of years if i was you. its something i wish i had done and i'm only staring to do it now.
    people ask me how to train, and i answer "i look at what you do and then i do the exact oposite"

if your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day

Thanks toad1. i'll do that workout. i live in a pretty mountainous area so jogging and sprinting would more than likely strengthen my legs. my technique is ok, have had some very good personal training with my friend who's been prop for about 8 years so he's helping me with some of my techniques, mostly line-put lifting and scrummaging.

so thanks for the workout i'll give it a go
    Last edited by Bubster; 02-09-2009 at 04:41 AM.

Spratty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spratty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spratty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spratty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spratty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spratty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spratty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spratty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spratty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spratty is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spratty is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    if ya wanna be the best ya can make sure ur core strength is very high, ask **** loads of questions about your position all the time, get ur technique 100%, and work on your power and strength

to work on power its lower the weight as SLOW as u can then push with all ur force back to the startin position, most important in your legs.
    i may not be a prop but that goes 4 every position cus u need to be dynamic

thanks for the advice spratty

so your saying i should lower the weight i lift slowly, and then go back to the weight i started at?