Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Cast down,but not destroy bird72's Avatar
    bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Angry dead lift and lift belt.

I need to know, if I owe or not, to use a lift belt to do dead lift. at present I carry 1 month doing dead lift with the lift belt, and I bother me enough. is well disturbs upon descending, and for correct position. is neccesary at all?
    i have back problems also, i am afraid about it.
    My first language is not English.

"Every being which begins has a cause for its beginning; now the world is a being which begins; therefore, it possesses a cause for its beginning"

!Try Christ, if doesn't function, we return your sins!

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Translation: Should I wear a belt when I deadlift.

Answer: Yes, most people do wear a belt. However, some folks around here prefer to lift "Raw". This will help build core and erector strength. If your back hurts then lighten the load and have your form checked.
    Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I am one of the raw guys.

It's a personal preference and a raging debate whether to wear a belt.
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000) bird72 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Translation: Should I wear a belt when I deadlift.

Answer: Yes, most people do wear a belt. However, some folks around here prefer to lift "Raw". This will help build core and erector strength. If your back hurts then lighten the load and have your form checked.
    the problem is with the belt, is very discomfort on the stomach, when you

get down. i think i need to go raw, with proper posture i believe back is gone

to be ok. i wish so.

"Every being which begins has a cause for its beginning; now the world is a being which begins; therefore, it possesses a cause for its beginning"

rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm a raw guy, as well. I use a belt for heavy squats, but find that the belt bothers me when I pull. It's personal choice. Make sure you learn proper form and there shouldn't be anything to be afreaid of.
    Squat 'til you puke.

47 years old
    325# bench
    665# squat
    700# deadlift

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Answer: Yes, most people do wear a belt
    I would like to see the statistics that back that because I have seen more raw deadlifters in every gym i have ever been in.
    Squat heavy or go home

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/enigmapower

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What type of belt do you have?
    A leather one?

Maybe go to the store and try one on and mimic the exercise before you buy it.
    They do make them in different widths.

If you have back problems it would be wise to use one. IMO.

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    A leather one?

i think you get to the problem...

i get one from sears, a weider one, is about 5" all around

is like that belt, but weider brand.and have a pad support on it's back.

feel great to do squats, but on dead's, is killing my form and my belly.

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bird72, I've had the same trouble deadlifting with belts. The belt gets in the way and moves around during the lift. I've tried many different belts: bodybuilder, powerlifter, velcro, leather, etc. but none of them felt comfortable. I now deadlift without a belt and have gotten as high as 380 lb with no regrets.

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A leather one?

Good evening forumites.....

I read this thread and I kept thinking (provided the doc says one is OK to lift) that if one is leery of deads or had a previous injury wouldn't one just start with the bar only and get accustomed to form and technique prior to putting on any plates which would mitigate the need for a support belt?
    I'm only shooting from the hip but I would guess it would easily take a few weeks of just using the bar to add some flexibility and strength for the injured area first.

Note that I'm not for/against it just seems a support belt may not be needed if one uses little or no weight when starting out.

I hope I'm making some sense here.

Feliz Viernes....

www.soundclick.com/wayneevansproject
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

Originally Posted by sytennison View Post
    Bird72, I've had the same trouble deadlifting with belts. The belt gets in the way and moves around during the lift. I've tried many different belts: bodybuilder, powerlifter, velcro, leather, etc. but none of them felt comfortable. I now deadlift without a belt and have gotten as high as 380 lb with no regrets.
    after i see 380# wow, i don't go to say my dead's weigth, i get shame

I have a friend who teach me proper form to do dead's and he say don't use it. but beleive me after i hurt my back a few years ago, i get afraid to get hurt again, that pain is like hell.

Originally Posted by Wayne Evans View Post
    Good evening forumites.....

I read this thread and I kept thinking (provided the doc says one is OK to lift) that if one is leery of deads or had a previous injury wouldn't one just start with the bar only and get accustomed to form and technique prior to putting on any plates which would mitigate the need for a support belt?
    I'm only shooting from the hip but I would guess it would easily take a few weeks of just using the bar to add some flexibility and strength for the injured area first.

Note that I'm not for/against it just seems a support belt may not be needed if one uses little or no weight when starting out.

I hope I'm making some sense here.

Feliz Viernes....

www.soundclick.com/wayneevansproject
    i need to clarify something, i don't get hurt doing dead's, i get hurt with a little bad movement lifting a db to do some shoulders excercises, a few years ago. the problem is an early degeneration of a disck(and bulge disck.), may be due to my job. i work seat all day, behind a computer. the problem is i and afraid to hurt it again, rigth now i feel my back strong, because i make my own back excersise program, but i still be cautious.

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
    i get afraid to get hurt again, that pain is like hell.
    I understand this fear,
    I have had back surgury and was fearful of deadlifts so I started out with a belt, but I found that I dont need it very often.
    I only use it when I go over 300 pounds now, any thing under that I dont use it. I only use it above 300 as a precauction, I dont need it to complete the lift, I just wear to mentally tell myself "I'm being safe"

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    i need to clarify something, i don't get hurt doing dead's, i get hurt with a little bad movement lifting a db to do some shoulders excercises, a few years ago. the problem is an early degeneration of a disck(and bulge disck.), may be due to my job. i work seat all day, behind a computer. the problem is i and afraid to hurt it again, rigth now i feel my back strong, because i make my own back excersise program, but i still be cautious.
    So sorry I misunderstood you bird72 about the 'disc degeneration' aspect.
    That would be worrisome for me too and do be cautious.

Again...sorry I missed that.....I'm daft sometimes.<smileycon>

I think I'll have a Corona now.
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

Originally Posted by chodan9 View Post
    I understand this fear,
    I have had back surgury and was fearful of deadlifts so I started out with a belt, but I found that I dont need it very often.
    I only use it when I go over 300 pounds now, any thing under that I dont use it. I only use it above 300 as a precauction, I dont need it to complete the lift, I just wear to mentally tell myself "I'm being safe"
    another 300# lifter

i think i gone to do raw, because i want to do dead's feel great.

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    another 300# lifter

i think i gone to do raw, because i want to do dead's feel great.
    dont go too fast!
    I had to take it slow, it took me 2 years to get over 300, I am very careful with my back.
    Don't rush it, the weight will come in time.

SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have sacroilliac problems and just flat will not do the lift without a belt. I got up to 338lbs at about 150+lbs body weight last year but tweaked my back doing who know what and am just back up to around 250lb work sets right now.
    UP the IRONS!

Originally Posted by SR800 View Post
    I have sacroilliac problems and just flat will not do the lift without a belt. I got up to 338lbs at about 150+lbs body weight last year but tweaked my back doing who know what and am just back up to around 250lb work sets right now.
    i believe hurt back is a common problem on over 35 forum

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    405 raw for 1 rep. Back felt better than ever the next day. Not bragging, just saying it is up to us individually to decide. If I ever hurt my back, I will damn sure start using a belt.
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I've started doing deads again, but I too am moving up slowly. For me it's not about my back, but rather my bicep. (as in partially detached)

So far I have not used a belt, but I'm certain I will be putting one on soon. I wouldn't personally pull 400 without a belt..... but I'm a wuss......
    Was friends with Methuselah

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EnigmaPower View Post
    I would like to see the statistics that back that because I have seen more raw deadlifters in every gym i have ever been in.
    Interesting. I can think of 3 or 4 people who I have seen train the DL raw for competition. They normally still belt up the day of the meet.

Originally Posted by namtrag View Post
    405 raw for 1 rep. Back felt better than ever the next day. Not bragging, just saying it is up to us individually to decide. If I ever hurt my back, I will damn sure start using a belt.
    I think this is going to be my goal for 2009.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Interesting. I can think of 3 or 4 people who I have seen train the DL raw for competition. They normally still belt up the day of the meet.
    I asked for the statistics or was your "more use belts" based on your opinion?
    Squat heavy or go home

Just like your "more train raw" was based on your opinion.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Baker beat me to that one............... heck of a thing when you demand that your personal opinion must stand above everyone else's unless they have statistics.............. of course you don't need them yourself.

I think more serious lifters do deads with belts, (personally, I've never seen a competitor pull a dead in a meet without a belt of some kind) but I can't back that up with statistics.......... it's just what I've observed.
    Was friends with Methuselah

Originally Posted by Old-Time-Lifter View Post
    Baker beat me to that one............... heck of a thing when you demand that your personal opinion must stand above everyone else's unless they have statistics.............. of course you don't need them yourself.

I think more serious lifters do deads with belts, (personally, I've never seen a competitor pull a dead in a meet without a belt of some kind) but I can't back that up with statistics.......... it's just what I've observed.
    Never said my opinion stood above his. I would appreciate it if he would say it was his opinion that most people use belts instead of presenting it as if it were a fact.
    Squat heavy or go home

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    the problem is an early degeneration of a disck(and bulge disck.), may be due to my job. i work seat all day, behind a computer. the problem is i and afraid to hurt it again, rigth now i feel my back strong, because i make my own back excersise program, but i still be cautious.
    I used to be a computer engineer and spent all day at a desk in front of a computer. I had to be very careful of my posture to prevent back soreness. Back exercises will help your posture and make you less likely to get injured as long as you do your exercises correctly.

I never said more train raw. I did say I have seen more raw deadlifters and that indicates it is my opinion. Had I said more train raw instead someone can understand it as fact by mistake. Were you trying to mislead people into thinking it was a fact?
    Squat heavy or go home

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Never said my opinion stood above his. I would appreciate it if he would say it was his opinion that most people use belts instead of presenting it as if it were a fact.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

Are you asking me to go to bed with you
    Squat heavy or go home

Are you asking me to go to bed with you
    No can do. Someone is wrong somewhere.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-