mfnb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weight training on fat loss on extremely sedentary people

Hello guys.

I always questioned myself about this. Usually people say that we lose muscle on fat loss. That's ok, it makes sense, we are on caloric deficit.

The thing is, what happens if extremely sedentary people try to lose muscle? For example, i was my whole life on a chair, i did no exercise at all for years, so i assume i don't have a lot of muscle, maybe only at my lower body because i have to lift my body which is a little bit heavy :P. If i lift and lose fat will i lose even more muscle? (on a long duration diet)

Isn't there a limit where people can gain muscle and still lose fat because of the fact that they have a very small amount of muscle?

mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mfnb View Post
    Hello guys.

I always questioned myself about this. Usually people say that we lose muscle on fat loss. That's ok, it makes sense, we are on caloric deficit.

This is true for people on starvation diets. The body does'nt like to be starved so it uses it's muscle for survival and preserves the fat.

The thing is, what happens if extremely sedentary people try to lose muscle? For example, i was my whole life on a chair, i did no exercise at all for years, so i assume i don't have a lot of muscle, maybe only at my lower body because i have to lift my body which is a little bit heavy :P. If i lift and lose fat will i lose even more muscle? (on a long duration diet)
    If your weight training and your diet is based on your activity level and supplies you with the right nutrients at the right times of the day, you will maximize fat burning and minimize muscle loss. You have to be flexible with diet and change as needed. Remember our bodies are smarter than we are, and we have to outsmart it to get the results we want

Isn't there a limit where people can gain muscle and still lose fat because of the fact that they have a very small amount of muscle?
    Everybody is different with varying genetic makeup. Having a small amt of muscle is something we can correct by consistently doing the smart things over and over.

mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Just do it!

The only way you can find out is to do it, make a move in the right direction. If there was a young lady you wanted to meet, would you think over and over what if? this or what if that? You just go over and talk and perhaps start a conversation just like that. Same thing with getting the body you want, don't over think it just do it. There is a wealth of info on this site from people who figured out what they wanted and did it. Just starting with the basics in diet first and then exercise will do wonders, you'll see.

mfnb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah i do agree with you, but actually it's more about to understand the body and how it works than improving my body.

If it does actually increase on people very sedentary i will keep lifting, if it doesn't i will keep lifting also, just curious.

I'm sure that there are some genetic freaks that can do this easily, but what about regular people? It just doesn't make sense that people with a very low amount of muscle lose even more lifting just because they are on a caloric deficit.

Originally Posted by mfnb View Post
    Yeah i do agree with you, but actually it's more about to understand the body and how it works than improving my body.

If it does actually increase on people very sedentary i will keep lifting, if it doesn't i will keep lifting also, just curious.

I'm sure that there are some genetic freaks that can do this easily, but what about regular people? It just doesn't make sense that people with a very low amount of muscle lose even more lifting just because they are on a caloric deficit.
    I definitely feel what your saying. A lot of the losses can be attributed to diet the macros in your diet. Protein intake is very important to someone trying to maintain or gain muscle. Many people go on a calorie deficit diet and not realize the deficit is too much and result in loss of mostly muscle mass instead of fat mass. I see this type of thing a lot in people who go on low calorie diets.
    I would recommend to start by finding out your BMR basal metabolic rate. Use this number and multiple by your daily activity level outlined in the Harris chart.

This example uses a male at 250 lbs at a height of 75ins.
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

BMR=66 + (6.23 x 250lbs) + (12.7 x 75in.) + (6.8 x 27yrs)
    BMR=66 + 1557.5 + 952.5 + 183.6
    BMR=2392.4

1.If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    2.If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    3.If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    4.If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    5.If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    Total Calorie Needs Example
    If you are sedentary, multiply your BMR (1745) by 1.2 = 2094. This is the total number of calories you need in order to maintain your current weight.
    Once you know the number of calories needed to maintain your weight, you can easily calculate the number of calories you need to eat in order to gain or lose weight:
    - Calorie intake to gain weight
    - Calorie intake to lose weight

You have to adjust the numbers up/down based on your results

Last edited by mofitness4u; 02-03-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: mistake

conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was sedentary.... I started running and lifting.... I was on calorie deficit... I gained muscle .... I lost fat /end
    Proud Member of the "I lost 100 Pounds Club"!

My Transformation Thread:
    .... new one coming soon!