Kelvin717200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cutting but can't do weights

Hi all,

I've decided to finally cut. Currently 6 foot weighing 78kg. I have a rotator cuff injury so I can't really do any shoulder related weights exercises, really bad! But I still want to cut and not lose TOO much muscle. At the moment my diet is:

Breakfast:
    - 2 slices of wholemeal bread
    - baked beans
    - scrambled eggs
    - 2 very lightly fried eggs (eating yolk only in one)
    - 2 boiled eggs (not eating both yolk)
    - an apple/an orange

Lunch:
    - Salad with one spoonful of light salad dressing
    - 1 x chicken breast
    - 1 can of tuna

Dinner
    - Salad with small amounts of coleslaw
    - Lots of Veg
    - Usually a selection of chicken or fish or beef

During the day:
    I eat around 5 portions of fruits a day, apples, oranges, plums, pears.
    I drink around 3.5L - 4L of water a day.
    I would sometimes take a protein shake after workout if I don't have lunch or dinner after (i.e. working out at 9:30am, finish at 11am, have a protein shake, then have lunch at around 1:30pm)

During gym:
    - Shoulder strengthening exercises using the pulley, light weight and medicine ball
    - A 20-25mins run on the treadmil OR 20 mins cycling OR 15 mins crosstrainer

Can anyone tell whether the above is effective or any improvements I would need to cut efficiently? I started doing the above 2 weeks ago but haven't seen much change

Many thanks

Registered User trance__dreamer's Avatar
    trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Smile

Originally Posted by Kelvin717200 View Post
    Hi all,

I've decided to finally cut. Currently 6 foot weighing 78kg. I have a rotator cuff injury so I can't really do any shoulder related weights exercises, really bad! But I still want to cut and not lose TOO much muscle. At the moment my diet is:

Breakfast:
    - baked beans
    - scrambled eggs
    - an apple/an orange

Lunch:
    - 1 x chicken breast
    - 1 can of tuna

Dinner
    - Lots of Veg

During the day:
    I would sometimes take a protein shake after workout if I don't have lunch or dinner after (i.e. working out at 9:30am, finish at 11am, have a protein shake, then have lunch at around 1:30pm)

During gym:
    - Shoulder strengthening exercises using the pulley, light weight and medicine ball

Can anyone tell whether the above is effective or any improvements I would need to cut efficiently? I started doing the above 2 weeks ago but haven't seen much change

Many thanks
    hmm...some things that i noticed:

coleslaw = iceberg lettuce = nutrient poor.
    --> use dark green lettuce instead.

light salad dressings = less fat (unhealthy/garbage'y "soybean oil", etc fat in most bottled dressings) but more sugar, & in a lot of people, sugar = fat gain 3000.
    --> use olive oil (healthy fat& balsamic vinegar instead)

is that amount of energy ("calories") good enough to support your activity for your current frame/body composition? that's how you'll know. for most, that much fruit would make you go all sketchy. but it seems like for you, it's just fine.

how advanced is your respiratory system? i.e.: what's your aerobic capacity like? will you get a good run for your $ w/ 25 on the treadmill or whatever? or will it be a walk in the park? have you ever given h.i.i.t. a shot? (advanced form of cardio using intervals.)

anyway. best of luck to you! =)
    Last edited by trance__dreamer; 02-01-2009 at 02:50 PM.

blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Baked beans are full of sugar

trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Smile

Originally Posted by blockmonkey View Post
    Baked beans are full of sugar
    hmm...like most things, doesn't it depend on the brand?

i think it goes w/out saying that most of us on here are expert ingredient list readers. you should be reading the list even before looking @ the nutrient table thingy so you can see where all of those calories/fat/protein/etc come from. i.e.: which ingredients provide which micronutrient(s) & be asking yourself if it's the right one for your body. (ex.: sugar vs. whole grain whole wheat flour.)

Originally Posted by trance__dreamer View Post
    hmm...some things that i noticed:

coleslaw = iceberg lettuce = nutrient poor.
    --> use dark green lettuce instead.

light salad dressings = less fat (unhealthy/garbage'y "soybean oil", etc fat in most bottled dressings) but more sugar, & in a lot of people, sugar = fat gain 3000.
    --> use olive oil (healthy fat& balsamic vinegar instead)

is that amount of energy ("calories") good enough to support your activity for your current frame/body composition? that's how you'll know. for most, that much fruit would make you go all sketchy. but it seems like for you, it's just fine.

how advanced is your respiratory system? i.e.: what's your aerobic capacity like? will you get a good run for your $ w/ 25 on the treadmill or whatever? or will it be a walk in the park? have you ever given h.i.i.t. a shot? (advanced form of cardio using intervals.)

anyway. best of luck to you! =)
    I don't have a lot of coleslaw but I do have a lot of iceberg lettuce each day.
    Also forgot to add I have quite a lot of ketchup with chicken etc.

I'm thinking about going on a ketone diet, but needs to do more research. In you guys' experience, which diet is the most effective? Many thanks

Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi all,

Breakfast:
    - baked beans
    - scrambled eggs
    - an apple/an orange

Lunch:
    - 1 x chicken breast
    - 1 can of tuna

Dinner
    - Lots of Veg

During the day:

During gym:

Many thanks
    As long as your caloric intake is LESS then your BMR, you're fine. Keep up the hussle, bust your ass and enjoy life. Eat all the beans you want.

Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000)

I'm thinking about going on a ketone diet, but needs to do more research. In you guys' experience, which diet is the most effective? Many thanks
    Keto diet is... -30g carbs a day. You would fail with your current diet. I'm personally shooting for 100g carbs a day. While it's easy the first few days after I buy groceries, it gets tough when money's rough and I'm hitting the end of the week.

fatboyslim420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatboyslim420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatboyslim420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatboyslim420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatboyslim420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatboyslim420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatboyslim420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatboyslim420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatboyslim420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatboyslim420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fatboyslim420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    to me it sounds like lots of food for dietz. 6 eggs just at breakfast? :0

Originally Posted by fatboyslim420 View Post
    to me it sounds like lots of food for dietz. 6 eggs just at breakfast? :0
    Nice photo. Each egg is 75 calories. As long as he's burning more calories...

My BMR is 3,000 calories a day. That's more then enough room for me to enjoy 6 eggs if I choose. The heavier you are, the higher your BMR is to MAINTAIN your weight. So I'm shooting for 2,000 - 2,500 calories for fat lose.

My point is. I eat so much food it's not even funny. And still I get into a caloric deficiency.

Smile

ewwww. i call ketchup liquid sugar w/ tomato sauce.

i've done keto before but failed miserably 'cause it was too easy for me to go overboard w/ the fat (high energy nutrient.) so, i actually put on a lot of fat. =S this was before christmas, & i'm still working off the damage. ****. =(

Smile

Originally Posted by Djin View Post
    Each egg is 75 calories. As long as he's burning more calories...

The heavier you are, the higher your BMR is to MAINTAIN your weight
    ^^ these 2 things.

As long as your caloric intake is LESS then your BMR, you're fine. Keep up the hussle, bust your ass and enjoy life. Eat all the beans you want.
    My BMR is around 1920 kcal per day. Any improvements I could make to my current? I'm planning on upping my cardio time to around 35 mins, and working out quad, calf and abs every other day.

My BMR is around 1920 kcal per day. Any improvements I could make to my current? I'm planning on upping my cardio time to around 35 mins, and working out quad, calf and abs every other day.
    BMR should be closer to 3,000. I burn 2,000 calories a day doing nothing.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa64.htm

Read about it. Figure out what you do for work out/cardio and factor that in. Even when I don't work out and do light cardio, I burn 2,900 calories.

So, all you're working out are your legs and doing cardio?

Read about it. Figure out what you do for work out/cardio and factor that in. Even when I don't work out and do light cardio, I burn 2,900 calories.

Legs, abs and cardio are the only things I can do atm.

some8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) some8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) some8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) some8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) some8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) some8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) some8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) some8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) some8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) some8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Can you also do Deads and chin ups? Make sure do squat as well and hit cardio. Bike, running, hill walk is all good cardio.

jamesbondc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamesbondc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamesbondc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamesbondc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamesbondc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamesbondc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamesbondc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamesbondc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamesbondc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamesbondc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jamesbondc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe you need some simple carbs for glycogen now don't go overboard with it. Maybe your muscles are running low on stored glycogen and are not performing well. I tried atkins and low carb diet once and same happened to me I couldn't lift for s*it.

zach_bashore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zach_bashore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zach_bashore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zach_bashore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zach_bashore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zach_bashore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zach_bashore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zach_bashore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zach_bashore has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yea i heard it helps. read supplements for rookies www.mightybody.com/s4r it has everything... later

Legs, abs and cardio are the only things I can do atm.
    So why can't you do weights? Why only these parts?

So why can't you do weights? Why only these parts?
    I have a rotator cuff injury, therefore I cannot do ANY shoulder related exercises - as they will make the injury even worse, so chin ups etc are a defo no no.

I have a rotator cuff injury, therefore I cannot do ANY shoulder related exercises - as they will make the injury even worse, so chin ups etc are a defo no no.
    Eek! 0.0

Hmm... Can you swim to help try strengthen your shoulder a bit? Do you take any joint complex?

Eek! 0.0

Hmm... Can you swim to help try strengthen your shoulder a bit? Do you take any joint complex?
    I do shoulder exercises with the pulley and the medicine ball to strengthen it, as asked by my physio! but it will take a while before it fully heals, I can do light weights but can't really push myself with the weights.

I do shoulder exercises with the pulley and the medicine ball to strengthen it, as asked by my physio! but it will take a while before it fully heals, I can do light weights but can't really push myself with the weights.
    Have you ever taken anything to help repair your joints? SAM-e, MSM? etc...

Have you ever taken anything to help repair your joints? SAM-e, MSM? etc...
    Nope never, only supplements I have ever taken are protein shakes. What do you recommend? Thanks

Moondogg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moondogg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thats not your BMR, thats you maint. level. Your BMR(basic metabolic rate) is the calories you would burn during the day doing nothing, you maint. rate is the number of cals you need to eat in order to maintain your weight.

Can you do any form of leg exercises? Squats? Leg Press? GHR? ect. This will not only help maintain your lower body mass, but also protect some of your upper body mass. Though to be honest, you are going to lose a bit of upper body mass if you cant train for any length of time. Not much you can do about it.

Originally Posted by Moondogg View Post
    Thats not your BMR, thats you maint. level. Your BMR(basic metabolic rate) is the calories you would burn during the day doing nothing, you maint. rate is the number of cals you need to eat in order to maintain your weight.

Can you do any form of leg exercises? Squats? Leg Press? GHR? ect. This will not only help maintain your lower body mass, but also protect some of your upper body mass. Though to be honest, you are going to lose a bit of upper body mass if you cant train for any length of time. Not much you can do about it.
    My bad. BMR for MOST people is around 1,800 - 2,000.

Nope never, only supplements I have ever taken are protein shakes. What do you recommend? Thanks
    Have you checked out Orange Triad? Not only does it help with joint repair, it's a multivitamin and digestion aid as well.

One of the better ones out there. Take a peek at my signature. I'm taking it and it HAS helped my shoulder out a lot. The pain isn't there from my joint.