3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Split/Routine comments request

Is this an acceptable thread to make in this forum? If not here, where?

I ask because in the past I posted and got no responses. I'd like to get opinions on my current split, which I have developed by modifying a P/P/L routine to suit my requirements (as I have a slight disability).

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You can ask but most of us have no experience with working around disabilities - so perhaps that's why there was no response.

3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've been lifting for about 15 years.

I am 38 now. My disability stems to when I was 12 years old and in a serious car accident, which left me with huge muscle loss in my left leg (most of the calf muscle gone, great deal of quadriceps gone - both cut out due to massive infection). My left ankle is fused (no movement and loss of sensation in my foot). There is a huge imbalance (strength and size) wise between my normal right leg and the fscked gimpy left one.

As a result, any lifts using legs are affected - I can't do a normal squat due to a lack of balance, so I have substituted smith squats. Deadlift likewise affected, but I still do it, currently on 350lbs for 4-6 reps.

My problem is that lately the stress from the squat and deadlift is starting to hurt my left foot (which is pretty mangled as a result of being fused), and resulting in stress fractures and huge pain when walking (for a while, then it gets better, then it starts again...)

I don't want to give up on the compounds, yet don't know how to do them without discomfort.

My routine currently:

Day 1: Back, Biceps

Hammer strength pulldowns
    One arm machine rows
    Deadlift
    Bent over row
    CLose grip cable pulldown
    Seated DB curls
    BB curls

Day 2: Shoulders, Legs

Hammer strength shoulder press
    Rope face pulls
    Bent over db side laterals
    Seated DB shoulder press
    Leg Extensions
    Seated hamstring curls
    Leg Press
    Lying hamstring curls
    Smith Squat

Day 3: Chest, Triceps

Hammer strength chest press
    Cable crossovers
    Incline DB press
    DB pullovers
    Tricep cable pressdowns
    Close grip bench press OR Seated overhead DB extensions

Day 4: Rest

Repeat

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    OK, no expert here but here's my opinion.

Generally speaking, it's best to find exercises that you can do through the most complete range of motion possible (always pain free). This results in the best tissue condition and avoids unwanted tightness and muscle knots etc. For example, try Romanian deadlifts and go as deep as you can manage. For this same reason I tend to favour pullups/pulldowns more so than rows. I don't know the hammer strength pulldown machine but if it is a wide grip (causing shoulder adduction) then also include a close grip pulldown that causes shoulder extension.

Try massaging sore muscles or using a foam roller between sets (this is when it's most effective since the effect is actually partly neurological).

You could try unilateral exercises so you use loads that are better suited to either your right leg or your left leg, it might train them both better in this way. Single leg press for example or leg curls/extensions. I really don't like Smith squat, I'd do a barbell hack squat if you have trouble with conventional back squat. Just remember to avoid leaning forwards as much as possible.

Hip thrusters and hanging leg raises help with a multitude of things and I would suggest anyone has them in their routine. Presumably your glutes are unaffected - if so, they probably get understimulated because your leg muscles are the bottleneck. Hip thrusters will help with that.

Good luck!
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 10-10-2016 at 04:53 AM.