FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Protein Powder and Orange Juice

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed as I didn't do a search. I recently started pouring a small amount of OJ in a shaker cup along with water for my post workout whey shake. I did this as I learned post workout is a good time to have a small insulin spike to get the max amount of whey into your muscle. My workout partner said that he thought that if you added an acidic juice such as OJ with protein the acidic juice weakens the protein and you end up taking in less protein than you thought. Anyone know or heard about this?

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That's a new one on me. I can't imagine the acid in the orange juice being any worse on your protein powder than the acid in your stomach...

plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile

Originally Posted by sytennison View Post
    That's a new one on me. I can't imagine the acid in the orange juice being any worse on your protein powder than the acid in your stomach...
    ....x2....^^^

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You should not mix creatine with OJ. protien is fine i do it all the time.
    O35 5'8" Crew

Dennis8269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dennis8269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dennis8269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dennis8269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dennis8269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dennis8269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dennis8269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dennis8269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dennis8269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dennis8269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dennis8269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Back in the early 90's when i competed I would drink 20oz of orange juice and a bowl of oatmeal 45 minutes before i worked out. I used to get great pumps from it. Now we have supplements for that but it worked great.

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Orange juice is high in natural simple sugars. Lifts you up and drops you like a rock. Too many simple sugars are zapped with insulin and converted to triglyserides=blood fats.

Try a flavored whey product low in sugars or sweeten with Crystal Lite.

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Protein and carbs in combination give a more rabid spike than glucose alone in general.
    Squat heavy or go home

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/enigmapower

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    EP...then lets add waxie maize.

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FitCop View Post
    I apologize in advance if this has been discussed as I didn't do a search. I recently started pouring a small amount of OJ in a shaker cup along with water for my post workout whey shake. I did this as I learned post workout is a good time to have a small insulin spike to get the max amount of whey into your muscle. My workout partner said that he thought that if you added an acidic juice such as OJ with protein the acidic juice weakens the protein and you end up taking in less protein than you thought. Anyone know or heard about this?

Tell your workout partner to go do some reading about proteolysis before giving out "advices".
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Baldiewonkanobi View Post
    EP...then lets add waxie maize.
    That was one of the "in general"
    Squat heavy or go home

haulingboat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) haulingboat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) haulingboat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) haulingboat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) haulingboat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) haulingboat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) haulingboat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) haulingboat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) haulingboat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) haulingboat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) haulingboat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have been drinking the exact same shake for almost two years. 8 oz H2O, 2-3 Oz Oj, and 2 scoops ON 100% Whey.

The small amount of simple sugar in 2-3 oz of OJ can't be too bad.

Talking

When I was trying to pack on the weight on my skinny teen age ass in the 50s our protein was Hoffmans...soy based. We added Half and Half cream, orange juice, scoop of vanilla ice cream and whipped her up in the blender. YES we had blenders then.

Yummy fart fart yummy.

Originally Posted by haulingboat View Post
    I have been drinking the exact same shake for almost two years. 8 oz H2O, 2-3 Oz Oj, and 2 scoops ON 100% Whey.

The small amount of simple sugar in 2-3 oz of OJ can't be too bad.
    No it isn't. It is the ideal time to have simple sugars because post workout you need an insulin spike.
    Squat heavy or go home

mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    your workout partner is a moron. what do you think is in your stomach? acid, maybe?????

yea I would see a problem with this, if you mixed the two together, and then let them sit for hours, but not if your mixing and drinking at the same time.

**you have it spot on about spiking your insulin after a workout, your way works just fine, however there are others that theorize you might be better off drinking your OJ, then 30 min later having your protein shake, once your insulin levels are nice and high.

good luck with training
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."

Originally Posted by Baldiewonkanobi View Post
    When I was trying to pack on the weight on my skinny teen age ass in the 50s our protein was Hoffmans...soy based. We added Half and Half cream, orange juice, scoop of vanilla ice cream and whipped her up in the blender. YES we had blenders then.

Yummy fart fart yummy.
    A creamsicle with protein sounds delicious about now...

Home alone so farting is no problem
    Squat heavy or go home

Originally Posted by mavrick77 View Post
    what do you think is in your stomach? acid, maybe?????
    Nah...it is water with a really low PH
    Squat heavy or go home

FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitCop is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey all thanks for the responses. My workout partner is not a moron, in fact I trust him with my life three nights a week. He is young and just starting out. I think he meant if you mix the two and let it sit for a long time. Mine sits for no longer than the one hour workout. If any protein is diminshed oh well some protein is better than none at all.

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If any protein is diminshed oh well some protein is better than none at all.
    Did you even bother to read the posts above? If you did, then you've been owned by reading comprehension.
    Last edited by OutOfStep; 01-30-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey all thanks for the responses. My workout partner is not a moron, in fact I trust him with my life three nights a week. He is young and just starting out. I think he meant if you mix the two and let it sit for a long time. Mine sits for no longer than the one hour workout. If any protein is diminshed oh well some protein is better than none at all.
    You need to be more discriminating in who you take advice from in the gym.

He's young and just starting out and you are taking advice from him? Thats like taking driving lessons from a 16 year old who just got his license, FCOL. I hope he did not design your training program.

There is a ton of bad advice and illustrations of bad form in the gym, so watching or listening to most of what you hear in the gym will do nothing but hurt you if you follow these people.

You had it right, so keep doing what you are doing.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

terribletriad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terribletriad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terribletriad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terribletriad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terribletriad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terribletriad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terribletriad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terribletriad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terribletriad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terribletriad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terribletriad has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by egoatdoor View Post
    You need to be more discriminating in who you take advice from in the gym.

He's young and just starting out and you are taking advice from him? Thats like taking driving lessons from a 16 year old who just got his license, FCOL. I hope he did not design your training program.

There is a ton of bad advice and illustrations of bad form in the gym, so watching or listening to most of what you hear in the gym will do nothing but hurt you if you follow these people.

You had it right, so keep doing what you are doing.
    Easy fella.

Fitcop asked a question, thanked those who responded, and also mentioned the information he got was from someone just starting out. He should be applauded for doing his homework such as coming here and asking to see if the info he got was correct.

I might also add that there is a TON of mis-information here as well.
    "The smarter you play, the luckier you'll be."

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by terribletriad View Post
    Easy fella.

Fitcop asked a question, thanked those who responded, and also mentioned the information he got was from someone just starting out. He should be applauded for doing his homework such as coming here and asking to see if the info he got was correct.
    I am applauding him for following the proper post workout nutritional protocol. I am wondering if there are other things such as a routine or other advice he is getting from this person who does not appear to be qualified to do so.

I might also add that there is a TON of mis-information here as well.
    Agree and have said so in the past. This and other message boards are not the panacea.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

manboobs253 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by EnigmaPower View Post
    No it isn't. It is the ideal time to have simple sugars because post workout you need an insulin spike.
    But I heard insulin lowers human growth hormone

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by manboobs253 View Post

No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by manboobs253 View Post
    ...and why you are a man-boob.