Thread: advice on cut

bill4588 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

advice on cut

I have a lot of stubborn baby fat (and some plain old fat fat) that I have always had for my whole life. I'm currently ~20% body fat and want to get down to around 11%-13% by summer. I've never really gone on a "diet" before (as in limiting my calorie intake), but I have tried increasing my calorie intake during football season. I've lost a lot of muscle mass since the fall of '05 (since I no longer play football), but I'm not really concerned about muscle right now. This is a big change for me, but I'm tired of being fat and I want to do this right. This whole week I've tried to eat clean and run a lot (as well as lift) but I want to get your opinion as to what I should do. I run about 3-4 days a week and I'm not sure if this is enough or too little, but once I get my endurance up I will start doing HIIT at least 4 days a week.

Stats: Age: 19 6'2" 210lbs. 20% BF

Workout: Monday - Chest and Triceps
    Treadmill 15 min (trying to get endurance up)

Tuesday - Back and Bi's
    Treadmill 15 min

Wednesday - NO LIFT
    Basketball 1 hr

Thursday - Legs
    Treadmill 20 min

Friday - Shoulders, Tri's and Bi's
    Treadmill 20 min

Sat & Sun OFF

Diet:
    Meal 1: One packet of oatmeal (with skim milk)
    One yogurt (99% fat free)
    One Piece of Fruit
    Protein shake
    1 fish oil tablet, 1 multi, and 1 CLA

Meal 2: PBJ (natural PB and no sugar jelly with whole grain bread)
    Protein shake

Meal 3: Granola Bar
    Protein shake
    1 fish oil tablet and 1 CLA

WORKOUT - On days I lift I have muscle milk pre- and post-workout.

Meal 4: 8oz skinless chicken breast
    One Piece of Fruit
    Brown Rice

Meal 5: One can of tuna
    Protein shake

I'm sure my routine is all out of wack, so please correct me! I'm also taking ON's Opti-Men, Fish Oil, and CLA, as well as drinking a gallon of water every day.
    Attached Images

chaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) chaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) chaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) chaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) chaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) chaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) chaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) chaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) chaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) chaka will become famous soon enough. (+50) chaka will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bill4588 View Post
    I have a lot of stubborn baby fat (and some plain old fat fat) that I have always had for my whole life. I'm currently ~20% body fat and want to get down to around 11%-13% by summer. I've never really gone on a "diet" before (as in limiting my calorie intake), but I have tried increasing my calorie intake during football season. I've lost a lot of muscle mass since the fall of '05 (since I no longer play football), but I'm not really concerned about muscle right now. This is a big change for me, but I'm tired of being fat and I want to do this right. This whole week I've tried to eat clean and run a lot (as well as lift) but I want to get your opinion as to what I should do. I run about 3-4 days a week and I'm not sure if this is enough or too little, but once I get my endurance up I will start doing HIIT at least 4 days a week.

Stats: Age: 19 6'2" 210lbs. 20% BF

Workout: Monday - Chest and Triceps
    Treadmill 15 min (trying to get endurance up)

Tuesday - Back and Bi's
    Treadmill 15 min

Wednesday - NO LIFT
    Basketball 1 hr

Thursday - Legs
    Treadmill 20 min

Friday - Shoulders, Tri's and Bi's
    Treadmill 20 min

Sat & Sun OFF

Diet:
    Meal 1: One packet of oatmeal (with skim milk)
    One yogurt (99% fat free)
    One Piece of Fruit
    Protein shake

Meal 2: PBJ (natural PB and no sugar jelly with whole grain bread)
    Protein shake

Meal 3: Granola Bar
    Protein shake
    1 fish oil tablet and 1 CLA

WORKOUT - On days I lift I have muscle milk pre- and post-workout.

Meal 4: 8oz skinless chicken breast
    One Piece of Fruit
    Brown Rice

Meal 5: One can of tuna
    Protein shake

I'm sure my routine is all out of wack, so please correct me! I'm also taking ON's Opti-Men, Fish Oil, and CLA, as well as drinking a gallon of water every day.
    Id say your relying too much on protein shakes, If you want to have that many try spacing them out as seperate meals, kick your metabolism up another gear. Try getting some food every 2 hours, whether it be a meal or protein shake. I personally would try and only have 2 shakes a day (sometimes more if needed) The best source of protein is WHOLE FOOD.

Try adding some more green veggies into your diet, they're low on calories and will help keep you full. They're also really good for you. Add some to each meal if you can, or to as many meals as you can.
    The body can achieve what the mind can conceive

Great Diet + Plenty of Exercise + Plenty of Rest = Results

thanks for the tip. and i dont really like veggies (if you couldn't already tell lol), but I guess Ill force them down...the only thing i can stomach is a salad but im guessing i need things like broccoli and asparagus.

Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    On days I lift I have muscle milk pre- and post-workout
    Muscle Milk has a good deal of fat in it and you want to try to keep the fats down in your post workout shake. In general for your Post-WO shake shoot for about .5 grams of high GI carbs per lb of bodyweight and .25 g/lb of protein. You should head over to the Nutrition Section and read up on Alan Aragon's stuff. There's a whole stickied thread dedicated to Pre and Post workout nutrtion.

I think your workout plan could stand to be more efficient as well. You hit your arms twice a week, but your major body parts just once. Honestly, how much real work do you think is being done on Friday when you hit shoulders, biceps, and triceps? Not a lot of muscle mass involved there.

I would go to either 3 full body sessions per week, or 4 sessions comprised of pulls/presses or upper/lower. That way you are hitting everything at least twice a week and you always have at least one gut-wrenching compound exercise scheduled for each session.

mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i think if your trying to loose weight you need to stick with some more whole foods.... chicken, eggs, lean steak, salad, grapefruit..etc....
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."

i love eggs! when would be the best time to eat them? I'm guessing morning and....when?

Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i love eggs! when would be the best time to eat them? I'm guessing morning and....when?
    And whenever else you need protein.

I'm a little confused about your opposition to muscle milk, Helis. On the container is says that it promotes leanness, and that the fat is "designer fat."

I'm a little confused about your opposition to muscle milk, Helis. On the container is says that it promotes leanness, and that the fat is "designer fat."
    I'm not opposed to it. I think it's delicious. But there may be better choices for your post WO shake. Here is some reading for you:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067
    Last edited by Helis; 01-19-2007 at 12:56 PM.