Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Registered User I_Need_Vertical's Avatar
    I_Need_Vertical has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Doing chest after leg day = bad?

So since i've started seriously lifting, i always did a hard leg day and always followed by chest the next. day I read an article on here saying that's a no no, any truth to that?

mtblax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtblax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtblax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtblax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtblax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtblax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtblax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtblax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtblax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtblax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtblax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i don't know if theres truth to that but i always to legs first. i'd rather be 100% for squats then for benching but thats my opinion. anybody know if this is actually detrimental?

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This shouldn't be an issue... personally, my rotation is...

Day 1: Legs
    Day 2: Chest
    Day 3: Arms
    Day 4: Shoulders
    Day 5: Back
    Day 6: Off
    Day 7: Off

Sometimes the off days rotate as needed to meet a schedule glitch..
    GL
    Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Drekkor View Post

GL
    No offense, but personally.. that's a horrible setup for a routine; way too much overlapping imo

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rivet0r View Post
    No offense, but personally.. that's a horrible setup for a routine; way too much overlapping imo
    Yeah? I'll keep that in mind.
    Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i do chest day before legs, my split:
    sun: off
    mon: chest
    tues : legs
    wed: shoulders
    thurs: arms
    fri: off
    sat: back
    risk nothing, gain nothing

Originally Posted by aleeboy View Post
    Looking at your size, I think you know what you're doing, mate. I do similar as well and have been getting results with "overlapping" my workouts.
    It's a relatively common split, perhaps the rotation isn't for everyone. However, the idea is to keep legs/back at some distance to keep deads/squats from negatively affecting eachother. Other than that, the only is keeping chest work from dipping into delt work too much. The Tri work does affect lifts but not too adversely so - as tri's respond pretty well to volume and seem to recover quite quickly for me.

FrankyOnions will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankyOnions will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankyOnions will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankyOnions will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankyOnions will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankyOnions will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankyOnions will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankyOnions will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankyOnions will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankyOnions will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankyOnions will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i squat benchpress and deadlift on thr same day zomg!

Originally Posted by FrankyOnions View Post
    Blasphemy, you will be soon smited with a mighty dumbell!!

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    6 foot even at 175lbs VS 5 foot 11 at 214lbs.....

No offense, but PWNED!!

Yeah? I'll keep that in mind.
    When you stop growing on that horrible program drop revet0r a line....

OP....As long as you're making progress on any program who is to say it's wrong? Doing chest after legs is perfectly fine. Don't believe everything you read.

Less internet, more gym DontRevMe's Avatar
    DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    nothing wrong with that, not many muscles will be recovering from a leg workout to a chest routine.

Less internet, more gym DontRevMe's Avatar
    DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    More gym, less net

Originally Posted by SquatTilYouDrop View Post

When you stop growing on that horrible program drop revet0r a line
    No insult was taken, pretty much any half-decent routine can get someone results. Rev's pretty cut up - looks fine imo, but yeah... if he tries to add another 30-40lbs he might sing a different tune... or maybe not, or maybe not lean... tough to say until he does it imo.

Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DontRevMe View Post
    nothing wrong with that, not many muscles will be recovering from a leg workout to a chest routine.
    u forgot to add: muscles that would notably hinder ability to do chest exercises.....because after leg day your whole lower body musculature is recovering...

rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50)

No offense, but PWNED!!

When you stop growing on that horrible program drop revet0r a line....

OP....As long as you're making progress on any program who is to say it's wrong? Doing chest after legs is perfectly fine. Don't believe everything you read.

Wow, do you fail to understand what "in my opinion" actually means? Come on now champ, look beyond the internet **** talking outlook. Wasn't meant to bash on him, I simply stated that IN MY OPINION (this is where you take time to comprehend what I had actually said), that it's too much overlapping.. I don't feel that 2 days is worthy enough to be considered a full recovery. And overlapping doesn't mean you won't make gains, but you can't assume that it doesn't hinder either.

For the love of God.. grow up and read a full post.

KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't see why that wouldn't be alright..

My routine started as a 5 day split 3 years ago and has evolved into (and will continue to ever evolve):

day1:Chest/Back (arm work if i feel like it)
    Day2: OFF
    Day3:Legs/.. 6-11 set shoulder if im up for it
    Day4:Chest/Back (arm work if i feel like it)
    Day5: off
    Day6:Legs.. 6-11 set shoulder if im up for it
    Day7: off or chest/back day if i feel lke training again

Leg day i usually squat sometimes dead.. for some reason i haven't deadlifted regularly for a year.. i got to 500 for a max and stopped because of a new split i tried and never workedthem back in.. maybe i'll put them on 2nd leg day every week

No insult was taken, pretty much any half-decent routine can get someone results. Rev's pretty cut up - looks fine imo, but yeah... if he tries to add another 30-40lbs he might sing a different tune... or maybe not, or maybe not lean... tough to say until he does it imo.
    I may have come off the wrong way, even though I had thrown in "no offense".. but here is my reasoning, as simple as it is:

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty spent after a good leg workout, and that can continue into the next day. Chest is a pretty important day as well. Now, I'm not sure what you incorporate into your chest workout, but I'm pretty sure you have at least 2 chest presses; these work the triceps pretty hard to be expecting an arms day the following day. Also, your front delts are hit hard on a chest day, and 2 days later to be working shoulders again.. I wouldn't feel like they were fully recovered. And again.. a good back workout definitely involves a lot of biceps, which you had just worked 2 days prior.

Just an opinion, just figured I would throw it out there.. god forbid. It's all about being open-minded.
    Last edited by rivet0r; 01-28-2009 at 10:55 PM.

And anyways, congrats on the weight loss! I'm almost a year in, and I started at about 220lbs, not sure on my bf% as I didn't want to check it and become unmotivated too quickly haha. Dropped down to 9% and now I'm doing a bit of a bulk.. we'll see how it goes. Anyways, keep it up!

ill just add that, over time the body adapts to the demands of specific workloads and becomes conditioned so that the you are able to recover more effectively to be able to suit the needs and stresses of a particular routine.

again , all comes down to the individual

danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    fu*ck might as well throw up my routine too..

monday arms/abs
    tuesday legs/traps
    wednesday rest ab/s
    thursday chest/shoulders/tri
    friday back/bi's/abs
    facial and body aesthetics coming soon...june 30th, follow me misc i wont let you down.

always pick 5

bowskie69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bowskie69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bowskie69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bowskie69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bowskie69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bowskie69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bowskie69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bowskie69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bowskie69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bowskie69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bowskie69 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FrankyOnions View Post
    I do to....for the last week of my 5 week cycle, I do deads, squats and bench on Mon, Wed and Fri Then I take a week off and usually gain some serious mass!
    ISSA CFT
    Un Roy, Une Foi, Une Loi
    I Am Mutant!: http://iammutant.com/social/news-04-27-11.php

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

For the love of God.. grow up and read a full post.
    I read your full post. That's what drew me into the commentary of it. I don't believe it's too much overlapping. Neither does the person you addressed. And more to the point. The results speak for themselves.

Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't see how doing chest after legs is bad and whoever said that should get pee'd on.

Back after legs though that's an entirely different story.

Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

GL
    I get what you are saying concerning squats and deads.

Have you ever thought though that if the set up was different your results would be even better?

For me to avoid so much overlap I'd go with

Day 1: Chest
    Day 2: Back
    Day 3: Off
    Day 5: Legs
    Day 6: Arms

or alternately do shoulders/triceps on day 4 and biceps/forearms on day 6.

With a split like that what I even do myself is not even do deads on back day and just stick to rows, pulls, and shrugs.

Then just do stiff legged deads on leg day.

Originally Posted by danklord View Post
    fu*ck might as well throw up my routine too..

monday arms/abs
    tuesday legs/traps
    wednesday rest ab/s
    thursday chest/shoulders/tri
    friday back/bi's/abs
    That's not bad at all.

Originally Posted by Los_Diablo View Post
    I get what you are saying concerning squats and deads.

Have you ever thought though that if the set up was different your results would be even better?
    Maybe, it all depends on how strict the days off stick to weekends. The delt, tri, bi 'overlap' if you will doesn't seem to be a big deal. They respond to volume and recover quite quickly. It's only the intense leg days that are of any concern for me. Definately don't want quad soreness for deads, and that can take 3-5 days to fully recover as an old man

entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    to OP, no the chest and legs have nothing in common, as long as you eat, sleep and rest enough during the week you'll be fine

Maybe, it all depends on how strict the days off stick to weekends. The delt, tri, bi 'overlap' if you will doesn't seem to be a big deal. They respond to volume and recover quite quickly. It's only the intense leg days that are of any concern for me. Definately don't want quad soreness for deads, and that can take 3-5 days to fully recover as an old man
    but you are hitting tris etc 3 days a week IN A ROW

iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Don't believe everything you read.
    Unless I've wrote it

Originally Posted by entropy1 View Post
    to OP, no the chest and legs have nothing in common, as long as you eat, sleep and rest enough during the week you'll be fine
    x2. Question answered.

Originally Posted by entropy1 View Post
    but you are hitting tris etc 3 days a week IN A ROW
    Good Lord... you're right!

Good Lord... you're right!
    That's exactly what I tried pointing out.. to each their own.