Michelle09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Any info on home treadmills.

Hi,
    I am buying my first piece of gym equipment so I can exercise at home. I was thinking of getting a treadmill as I all ready know I enjoy them but am open to other machines.

I have done as much research as I can on the different models I can find around my area. And they all seem mostly similar with a steady incline in price with features.

All I am concerned about are any types that might break down or be hard to maintain. If there is any brand I should avoid or look for those types of suggestions would be great.

I am looking for something small and compact and below 1000$. Features like incline and others are just extra.

Thanks for your help.

- Michelle

deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) deseee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    the word treadmill and less than $1000 don't really go together if your buying new... good brands off the top of my head are precor and landice... look at the sig in my thread for how to find stuff on craigslist
    Shouldn't you be lifting something heavy instead of reading this?

[]---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 8
    Workout Equipment Crew: We do it on Power Racks
    Bashing the Bowflex since 2008 for DiamondDelts

Bulldozer feeds upon the weaker as they fall. Bulldozer crushes all! - Machine Head

Owes me a case of beer: dolson27

BullGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BullGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BullGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BullGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BullGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BullGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BullGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BullGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BullGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BullGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BullGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by deseee View Post
    the word treadmill and less than $1000 don't really go together if your buying new... good brands off the top of my head are precor and landice... look at the sig in my thread for how to find stuff on craigslist
    Problem with craigslist is that there is no warranty...I have bought a gym full of equipt of CL...but I don't think I would buy a treadmill of of it. Who knows how long the motor or other parts will last. deseee has a point about a $1000 treadmill...would get a lifefitness model...but don't really have $2800 to spare on it.......costco has a Nodic Track "commercial" series treadmill for $899

http://www.nordictrack.com/webapp/wc...97103_-1_19051
    Last edited by BullGod; 01-28-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BullGod View Post
    Problem with craigslist is that there is no warranty...I have bought a gym full of equipt of CL...but I don't think I would buy a treadmill of of it. Who knows how long the motor or other parts will last. deseee has a point about a $1000 treadmill...would get a lifefitness model...but don't really have $2800 to spare on it.......costco has a Nodic Track "commercial" series treadmill for $899

http://www.nordictrack.com/webapp/wc...97103_-1_19051

This is a valid concern with electronic fitness equipment, but it isn't completely limiting.

I got a Diamondback Elliptical last February and its been running strong for almost a year. My wife uses it about 4 nights a week. I've also seen several people very happy with their Concept 2 rowers that were purchased used.

I personally think the research has to be done to find what equipment is solid and reliable. I have a Precor treadmill that is almost 9 years old and running strong......never needed the warranty that came with the $2500 price tag! The reason we bought the Diamondback Elliptical is because we already had a DBack Recumbent that we've had since 2004 and its also performed flawlessly.

This is a gut feeling kind of thing. You have to know what equipment you want, go inspect it, evaluate the seller/environment as well as the machine. You can make a mistake, no doubt, but I believe that a lot of the higher end fitness stuff is highly regarded for a reason. I don't have any tips for when to know when to make a purchase.

When we got the Diamondback we paid $450 for it and it sells for over $1500 new. I prefer higher end electronic fitness equipment, so I'm a little stuck in this situation. If I don't want to spend $1500-2000 (which I didnt), I can either gamble with a Dick's/Sears/Walmart elliptical for $500-1000 or get a used name that I am already familiar with from a seller I believe took care of their equipment. I gambled with the $450 and its worked out so far.

YMMV, but you can find nice used electronic fitness equipment.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    For under $1000 you'll need to buy used. Try it out first. And try to find one with a manual so you can identify any parts and adjust the hidden settings.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) henryd31 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yeah, I haven't had a higher end unit myself, I never even stepped into a real gym, only doing what I can in my own house. But, being on a few business trips and staying in higher end hotels with decent treadmills I can totally see how a more expensive, commercial type treadmill would serve anyone much better than a cheapo stuff. However, I had my cheap pro-form I spent $800 on for 8 years and it was fine for my purposes. It just finally broke a month ago and I ended up getting another pro-form cheap unit, model 580E for $499 from Sears. Yeah, it is a cheap one, and yes I probably took a chance on hoping it lasts. But if my any luck continues, and this thing is good for at least three years I'll be fine with that. The extended warranty on the thing for 3 years was like another $200 or somewhere in that ballpark, it didn't seem worth it.

In the end, I think probably anything under $1k will not be that great, but if you're lucky enough it should last for a while.