slinkyfox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slinkyfox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pulled/torn Latissimus dorsi

6 days ago i had this pain in my back (felt like someone king hit me in the ribs) i thought it happened when i was surfing, fell off and my board hit me (wasnt the case).
    I continued gong about my routines, surfing in the morning, lifting at 2pmish. a majority of it was fine except it hurt a fair bit when i breathed.
    Then i got to my traps day. Intense pain, unable to complete x amount of reps (not because it was hard but because it hurt like hell) so i stopped and took it as 'letting stuffed rib pain go away so i can lift 100% the next day'.
    I continued surfing and going about my routine.
    Pain was still there except it was coming and going, 1 minute it would be fine untill it got aggrovated wich at that point thought it was indigestion, wasnt my prognosis (my mothers, lol). got to my traps day again, got 2 my second set on military presses before i was forced to stop.
    Felt like someone had strapped a firecracker to my inside. I pretty much could not do anything in this kind of pain (high threshold, only go to the doctors if something is completely not right).
    I went to the hospital, got it checked out for whether it was a lung clot ( it wasnt). They didnt think it was a broken rib, i insisted on a xray (so i knew for sure what is was). turns out it is muscular.
    Rolling over in my sleep hurts it, any sort of motion (Except walking hurts it).

Now im stuck...
    Anyone have a idea how long i should expect to be off lifting for?
    Is it ok if i do stuff that only hurts it a little bit like general movement stuff, maybe running?
    I was 2 weeks into bulking. should i go back to cutting?
    is there anyway i can maintain my strength and stop muscle atrophy?
    would it be a bad move to stretch the muscle after a day or 2 of healing?

edit: 1st post!
    Last edited by slinkyfox; 01-27-2009 at 02:57 PM.

ummmmm delicious user18799886210's Avatar
    user18799886210 is a name known to all. (+5000) user18799886210 is a name known to all. (+5000) user18799886210 is a name known to all. (+5000) user18799886210 is a name known to all. (+5000) user18799886210 is a name known to all. (+5000) user18799886210 is a name known to all. (+5000) user18799886210 is a name known to all. (+5000) user18799886210 is a name known to all. (+5000) user18799886210 is a name known to all. (+5000) user18799886210 is a name known to all. (+5000) user18799886210 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by slinkyfox View Post
    6 days ago i had this pain in my back (felt like someone king hit me in the ribs) i thought it happened when i was surfing, fell off and my board hit me (wasnt the case).
    I continued gong about my routines, surfing in the morning, lifting at 2pmish. a majority of it was fine except it hurt a fair bit when i breathed.
    Then i got to my traps day. Intense pain, unable to complete x amount of reps (not because it was hard but because it hurt like hell) so i stopped and took it as 'letting stuffed rib pain go away so i can lift 100% the next day'.
    I continued surfing and going about my routine.
    Pain was still there except it was coming and going, 1 minute it would be fine untill it got aggrovated wich at that point thought it was indigestion, wasnt my prognosis (my mothers, lol). got to my traps day again, got 2 my second set on military presses before i was forced to stop.
    Felt like someone had strapped a firecracker to my inside. I pretty much could not do anything in this kind of pain (high threshold, only go to the doctors if something is completely not right).
    I went to the hospital, got it checked out for whether it was a lung clot ( it wasnt). They didnt think it was a broken rib, i insisted on a xray (so i knew for sure what is was). turns out it is muscular.
    Rolling over in my sleep hurts it, any sort of motion (Except walking hurts it).

Now im stuck...
    Anyone have a idea how long i should expect to be off lifting for?
    Is it ok if i do stuff that only hurts it a little bit like general movement stuff, maybe running?
    I was 2 weeks into bulking. should i go back to cutting?
    is there anyway i can maintain my strength and stop muscle atrophy?
    would it be a bad move to stretch the muscle after a day or 2 of healing?

edit: 1st post!
    bump same pain as mentioned above...doing heavy rack deads...

jrlifan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re torn Latissimus dorsi

Hi, did you get the answer, as I've just got exactly the same symtoms you describe.
    Please let me know the best way forward as I still want to train, but hard to know if you do more damage. Some muscles you can keep nailing, some you have to completely rest.

Registered User TroydonAnabolic's Avatar
    TroydonAnabolic is not very well liked. (-100) TroydonAnabolic is not very well liked. (-100) TroydonAnabolic is not very well liked. (-100) TroydonAnabolic is not very well liked. (-100) TroydonAnabolic is not very well liked. (-100) TroydonAnabolic is not very well liked. (-100) TroydonAnabolic is not very well liked. (-100) TroydonAnabolic is not very well liked. (-100) TroydonAnabolic is not very well liked. (-100) TroydonAnabolic is not very well liked. (-100) TroydonAnabolic is not very well liked. (-100)
    a late bump but hard to find anyone with similar problems and how long until they resolved it.

I only just reinjured my lats after probably getting to what feels like the middleish stage of recovering my shoulders.. so I'm starting it off while my muscles are already really weak, making most day to day hard, sleeping included.

However, I think with all things feel moving as much as possible without hurting it is ideal, so best not to lay on the bed all day.

How did everyone with this go in the end, how long did it take to recover from these so that day to day stopped aggravating it.
    When I initially got it, it usually took 1 week to return to day to day each time it flared up.. now after reinjuring it after losing heaps of muscle it felt it would take 2-3 weeks.. then I got a deep tissue massage from a physio which set it at a whole new level of worse. I feel it will take around 2-12 weeks for it now. Although, I am hopeful the tendon is just irritated like the physio says, and it will be 2 weeks.. but since pain isn't my only symptom, and there is 3/10 weakness in my spine, and ribs it will most likely be 12 weeks.