NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Quick question on training for strength :]

I've asked this in the teen section but I'm sure the place made for questions like this wouldn't be a bad idea haha.

Quick background info before the question itself, although below is the question;

As anyone knows who sees me post every now and then I started lifting again 6 weeks ago finally after about 6 months break. I never had a set regime as such like before I kinda just improvise my workouts alway mixing it up and it's worked fine for me in the past. I was short on money so I tried the gallon of milk diet thingy since it was cheap for me and found after 5 weeks I'd lost about 8lbs, thankfully only fat it seems but I dropped weight on my lifts too, bench went from like 175 (1rm) to 165, deadlift from 285 to 270 and squat although I only done it like 4 times started at 225 and is now 200.

short;

So basically I was weak already and now I'm weaker, I want to not necessarily power lift as such but focus my training more entirely around strength, I have a new much better diet now and things can start climbing, I just have a few quick questions;

1. What's over training in strength training when it comes to a beginner? Lets say most of my training was 3-5 reps (ofcourse), then how many sets should I stay around?

2. What is the general frequency able to train at? Rippetoes shows exercises at twice a week but squat 3 times a week, so would twice a week for everthing in general be acceptable?

3. Do split still apply the same, lets say rippetoes focuses just on one muscle group at a time i.e chest, then back rather than incorporating corresponding mucle groups like chest and triceps, could I still do chest and triceps on the same day?

4. This is I feel the most dumb, but is caloric intake relatively the same or should macronutrients differ i.e instead of a typical 4:4:2 on carbs, protein, fats is there a better way for strength like more fats and less carbs?

I have regimes set in mind, and although rippetoes is a proven programme I just want to experiment a little so please don't bash haha.

I will greatly appreciate any replies on this :]
    Squat; 280lbs
    Deadlift; 386lbs
    Bench; 198lbs
    Military Press; 150lbs
    Weighted pull upsx5 - 60lbs
    Weighted dipsx5 - 80lbs

samsuperjew5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsuperjew5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsuperjew5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsuperjew5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsuperjew5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsuperjew5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsuperjew5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsuperjew5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsuperjew5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsuperjew5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsuperjew5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You should do madcows as far as your routien goes

cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NathanielS View Post
    I've asked this in the teen section but I'm sure the place made for questions like this wouldn't be a bad idea haha.

Quick background info before the question itself, although below is the question;

As anyone knows who sees me post every now and then I started lifting again 6 weeks ago finally after about 6 months break. I never had a set regime as such like before I kinda just improvise my workouts alway mixing it up and it's worked fine for me in the past. I was short on money so I tried the gallon of milk diet thingy since it was cheap for me and found after 5 weeks I'd lost about 8lbs, thankfully only fat it seems but I dropped weight on my lifts too, bench went from like 175 (1rm) to 165, deadlift from 285 to 270 and squat although I only done it like 4 times started at 225 and is now 200.

short;

So basically I was weak already and now I'm weaker, I want to not necessarily power lift as such but focus my training more entirely around strength, I have a new much better diet now and things can start climbing, I just have a few quick questions;

1. What's over training in strength training when it comes to a beginner? Lets say most of my training was 3-5 reps (ofcourse), then how many sets should I stay around?

2. What is the general frequency able to train at? Rippetoes shows exercises at twice a week but squat 3 times a week, so would twice a week for everthing in general be acceptable?

3. Do split still apply the same, lets say rippetoes focuses just on one muscle group at a time i.e chest, then back rather than incorporating corresponding mucle groups like chest and triceps, could I still do chest and triceps on the same day?

4. This is I feel the most dumb, but is caloric intake relatively the same or should macronutrients differ i.e instead of a typical 4:4:2 on carbs, protein, fats is there a better way for strength like more fats and less carbs?

I have regimes set in mind, and although rippetoes is a proven programme I just want to experiment a little so please don't bash haha.

I will greatly appreciate any replies on this :]

blah blah blah blah...

you are overthinking EVERYTHING.

any solid routine coupled with a good diet will work wonders for you.

stock PL section advice: look at the stickies for a solid cookie-cutter routine like 5x5 and eat alot of food while you go smash weights.

BAM...that advice will put 100 pounds on all your lifts.

GO.

NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10) NathanielS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Haha I don't think I'm over thinking, I just want to be more knowledgeable.

Sure thing Sam (Y) =]
    Squat; 280lbs
    Deadlift; 386lbs
    Bench; 198lbs
    Military Press; 150lbs
    Weighted pull upsx5 - 60lbs
    Weighted dipsx5 - 80lbs

Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Poppy83 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NathanielS View Post
    Haha I don't think I'm over thinking, I just want to be more knowledgeable.

Sure thing Sam (Y) =]
    You're stressing too much about macros and such. Eat like a horse, keep protein high, saturated fats to a minimum, and make sure you get tons of calories. Lift hard and to hell with it.
    *MFC Illuminati*

*3-22-13*