Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100)

What are Sit-Ups good for?

I keep hearing that sit-ups do not burn fat around your stomach, they do not build abs. What are situps good for?

Lynx_Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynx_Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynx_Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynx_Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynx_Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynx_Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynx_Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynx_Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynx_Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynx_Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lynx_Lightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nothing.

Situps will help to strengthen the slow twitch fibers of the abdominal muscles, which are mostly fast-twitch by nature. They will cause some hypertrophy in the abs, which will just make your stomach look bigger. According to Vince Gironda, they also shock your sternum and lower hormone levels.

In addition, they require forceful flexation of the spine, and are said to cause more spinal stress than the spine is designed to handle. if the back is kept straight while doing a situp, it only works the hip flexor muscles.

Try weighted crunches for ab strength, but watch out for your back.

Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100) Exilement is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Lynx_Lightning View Post
    Nothing.

Situps will help to strengthen the slow twitch fibers of the abdominal muscles, which are mostly fast-twitch by nature. They will cause some hypertrophy in the abs, which will just make your stomach look bigger. According to Vince Gironda, they also shock your sternum and lower hormone levels.

In addition, they require forceful flexation of the spine, and are said to cause more spinal stress than the spine is designed to handle. if the back is kept straight while doing a situp, it only works the hip flexor muscles.

Wow thanks a million. I see why situps are so frowned upon.

Is there 1 exercise I can do for the nice 6 pack, or is there several like the one your mentioned.

also can they be worked out 5 times a week,day off day on?

mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Exilement View Post
    I keep hearing that sit-ups do not burn fat around your stomach, they do not build abs. What are situps good for?
    Spot reduction is a myth, you cant target fat in a certain part of the body.
    Last edited by mossbergmaniac; 01-26-2009 at 07:45 PM.
    Ron Paul 2012!!!

Don't rep me for my military service. Its just a job like any other. You payed my paycheck and that's all the thanks I need.

[img] [/img]
    [youtube] [/youtube]

cqsox is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cqsox is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cqsox is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cqsox is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cqsox is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cqsox is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cqsox is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cqsox is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cqsox is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cqsox is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cqsox is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    they gotta do something... im doing 300/every 2 days and i know my abs got bigger

Originally Posted by mossbergmaniac View Post
    Spot reduction is a myth, you cant target fat in a certain part of the body.
    Well what if you pick up a set of dumbbells and start doing high reps, wouldnt this burn the fat on the arms? I am a noob so do not laugh at that statement. In general though, what are the most effective ab exercises?

Bluegrassgreeneyes peterholbrook's Avatar
    peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nothing.

awesome that was actually some good advice, i've read that too about what vince said i think they're pretty much useless, i've heard that you can develop a bad back from doing them too much

funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkymonk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well what if you pick up a set of dumbbells and start doing high reps, wouldnt this burn the fat on the arms?
    no, it would not. understandable mistake if you're a self-admitted noob, since this is one of the most widely propagated workout myths out there.

if you want to burn fat, do cardio. if you want to build more muscular abs, do crunches, leg lifts, etc. you sound like you want to do both, so do both. it does no good to do just situps and crunches and expect a beer belly to disappear.
    finally got back into the weight room today to see where I'm at a lil over a week from the injury. I got good and warm before attempting anything, but I noticed in certain lifts I had to pay extra attention to keep from crapping myself...

-tony_mid

Originally Posted by funkymonk420 View Post
    no, it would not. understandable mistake if you're a self-admitted noob, since this is one of the most widely propagated workout myths out there.

if you want to burn fat, do cardio. if you want to build more muscular abs, do crunches, leg lifts, etc. you sound like you want to do both, so do both. it does no good to do just situps and crunches and expect a beer belly to disappear.
    haha thanks man.

Wish i can rep everyone here. thanks alot

mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mossbergmaniac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nothing.

Do you have any sources? Not doubting you I just would really like to read up on that.
    Ron Paul 2012!!!

Don't rep me for my military service. Its just a job like any other. You payed my paycheck and that's all the thanks I need.

[img] [/img]
    [youtube] [/youtube]

AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Reported.
    cry much?

situps arent worth much. abs come into play hardcore during squats, deads and bent barbell rows. if you want abs, diet. it's that simple. i still find it sad that gyms these days have more ab machines then they do leg machines

Originally Posted by AlphaStyles View Post
    cry much?

situps arent worth much. abs come into play hardcore during squats, deads and bent barbell rows. if you want abs, diet. it's that simple. i still find it sad that gyms these days have more ab machines then they do leg machines
    Cry much? Oh shut up seriously, I came here for advice, not for some a.sshole who just says "ur face". Why waste your god given time on my thread if your only response is so irrelevent and stupid. You are trying to back him up, but really you are just sucking up to his ass because of his rep power, or he is well-known to my guess.

I mean seriously, lol what is the point of posting if your not helping? I do not understand...I just don't. People waste their time on the stupidest things sometimes, when I just want a little help.

AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Cry much? Oh shut up seriously, I came here for advice, not for some a.sshole who just says "ur face". Why waste your god given time on my thread if your only response is so irrelevent and stupid. You are trying to back him up, but really you are just sucking up to his ass because of his rep power, or he is well-known to my guess.

I mean seriously, lol what is the point of posting if your not helping? I do not understand...I just don't. People waste their time on the stupidest things sometimes, when I just want a little help.
    lol dude only has 202 rep power, that wouldn't even put me up one rep point. cant believe i helped your dumb, believe everything i read in men's health havin ass. Will be sure to put you deeper in the red sea tomorrow upon recharge. enjoy being forever beta in your physique achievements

lol dude only has 202 rep power, that wouldn't even put me up one rep point. cant believe i helped your dumb, believe everything i read in men's health havin ass. Will be sure to put you deeper in the red sea tomorrow upon recharge. enjoy being forever beta in your physique achievements
    What I read was true, so what are you talking about? I am just telling you why are you saying "Cry Much", his reply was 110% stupid. You have 7 rep power, I am not very scared. Just pisses me off...

thankyou everyone else tho.

flex Magazine June 2008 spirit3530's Avatar
    spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    working hip flexors
    Cha Cha Cha

IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Agreed.

Stfu, you know his post was ****ing stupid and he didnt have to post it.

ur rep power is gay

IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What are squats or any other exercise for?

Strengthening the muscles involved. Doesn't get much deeper than that.
    IG: @toadkillerdog

Originally Posted by IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs View Post
    Agreed.

Stfu, you know his post was ****ing stupid and he didnt have to post it.

ur rep power is gay
    not half as gay as your physique, relax son

IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    not half as gay as your physique, relax son
    u mad?

im skinny as ****, what u got on me lol, Im 16? Sers? Ill be 50x times more swole than you at your age

Originally Posted by IGotsDeezCheeseburgahs View Post
    u mad?

im skinny as ****, what u got on me lol, Im 16? Sers? Ill be 50x times more swole than you at your age

Bluegrassgreeneyes peterholbrook's Avatar
    peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mossbergmaniac View Post
    Do you have any sources? Not doubting you I just would really like to read up on that.
    that's what vince gironda beleived, theres not a whole lot of information
    on him out there but he was brilliant, thats most likely where he read that

bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I used to sit-ups and very little cardio. My stomach area looked significantly more defined and looked to have considerably less fat. Anyone care to explain?

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bluechipm3 View Post
    I used to sit-ups and very little cardio. My stomach area looked significantly more defined and looked to have considerably less fat. Anyone care to explain?
    Your diet has gone to ****?
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechipm3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No, I still have good abs. I'm talking about my experience from many years ago. I didn't really work out often at all, and then I decided that I wanted a stronger, leaner stomach. I did boatloads of sit-ups and accomplished my goal.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No, I still have good abs. I'm talking about my experience from many years ago. I didn't really work out often at all, and then I decided that I wanted a stronger, leaner stomach. I did boatloads of sit-ups and accomplished my goal.
    I'm confused. Are you wondering why doing ab worked helped make your stomach look like you did ab work?
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

There are people in this thread stating that sit-ups do nothing and that it's impossible to target fat...

Time to start building... norinicole's Avatar
    norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There are people in this thread stating that sit-ups do nothing and that it's impossible to target fat...
    It is impossible to target fat. You get abs when your body fat % gets low enough to show them.

Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?!
    Mrs. Hessunit as of May 11, 2013

It is impossible to target fat.

Sit ups are a body weight exercise. Simply working amuscle, can 'tone' it to some extent. If you have minimal bodyfat, it will make them look better, becuase you are working them. However to sit there and do countless sit ups to try to reduce a beer belly is futile. You can not spot reduce fat. your body is predisposed to storing fat in certain areas. You need to reduce fat all over, and your body will take it away in it's predetermined order.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

That may be true, but doing sit-ups certainly helps provide a leaner look...a look that gives the impression that the person has less fat.

That may be true, but doing sit-ups certainly helps provide a person a leaner look...a look that gives the impression that the person has less fat.