Closed Thread
Page 265 of 343 FirstFirst ... 165 215 255 263 264 265 266 267 275 315 ... LastLast
Results 7,921 to 7,950 of 10284
    RyanMarkB is on a distinguished road. (+10) RyanMarkB is on a distinguished road. (+10) RyanMarkB is on a distinguished road. (+10) RyanMarkB is on a distinguished road. (+10) RyanMarkB is on a distinguished road. (+10) RyanMarkB is on a distinguished road. (+10) RyanMarkB is on a distinguished road. (+10) RyanMarkB is on a distinguished road. (+10) RyanMarkB is on a distinguished road. (+10) RyanMarkB is on a distinguished road. (+10) RyanMarkB is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Malkira View Post
    You can't spot reduce fat. Find out your bodyfat%. If its not single digit, keep cutting. If it is, let us know.
    My bodyfat% is 17.

csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Malkira View Post
    You can't spot reduce fat. Find out your bodyfat%. If its not single digit, keep cutting. If it is, let us know.
    This is the truth. If I could be 12-14% bodyfat and not have a relatively large fat deposit in my naval region, I'd have stopped cutting. I don't even care about a six-pack, I just don't like the flab. But it's looking like I'll have to go much lower than 12ish to get rid of the localized jiggly stuff.

Registered User Jackwallace1234's Avatar
    Jackwallace1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Loosing Fat

Hey

After reading this i am looking for some advice.

I am trying to work out where it is I am going wrong.

My stats are 6ft, 13.11 Stone.

My diet is:

Breakfast (7.30am)
    3x Eggs scrambled
    2x Pieces Wholemeal Bread
    Multi Vit Tab
    Omega 3 Tab
    Vitamin C Tab
    OJ or Tea.

Mind Morning (10am)
    1.5x Egg Whites
    2x Wholemeal Bread
    Protein Shake (Reflex)
    Apple

Lunch (12pm)
    1x Tin of Tuna
    2x Wholemeal Bread
    Banana

Afternoon (3pm)
    1.5x Egg Whites
    2x Wholemeal Bread
    Protein Shake (Reflex)
    5g Glutamine
    5g Creatine
    Apple

Train (5pm)
    Glucose

Evening Meal (7.30pm)
    Meal (Varies as is the only meal I change each day)
    5g Glutamine
    5g Creatine
    Protein Shake (Reflex)

Before Bed (9pm)
    ZMA Maximuscle

I am looking to calculate how many calories I consume so need either your advice or direction to a site that allows you to do this.

Also I have a stationary job and only exercise 5-6 times a week for a hour each time.

Thanks

Jack

[QUOTE=wave_length;279524081]I originally posted this in the nutrition forum, but it probably belongs here. You only have to follow three simple rules:

- Workout 3 times a week with weights.
    - Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass.
    - Reduce calories to lose 1-2 lbs / week.

Success is 100% guaranteed. There's really not much more to it.

shut up and smith squat hypnojedi's Avatar
    hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500) hypnojedi is not very helpful. (-500)
    ^ if that is you in the avatar why do you need help losing fat?

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Jackwallace1234 View Post

Your diet is what's wrong if you're training properly.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    Your diet is what's wrong if you're training properly.
    I can second that.
    Without proper nutrition, you're spinning your wheels.

I just realized I wasted the last year doing bull**** when I could have gotten a lot further with just eating correctly.

Don't be me. Eat up. Or cut. Whatever floats your boat!

Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NCMikeB View Post
    Orange Juice has more sugar in it than soda pop. If you want to lose weight replace those fruits with fibrous veggies(raw, grilled, baked. never boiled or fried). Drink more water.

Ranch Dressing is bad. Try Golden Balsamic Vinaigrette.. try to find the kind made with flax seed oil.

Breaded chicken? Fried? Bad. Go grilled.

Protein Shake? just add water. I know it's gross. Try to find a brand that taste better. I had the same GNC protein.. its very expensive and taste bad. It actually made my stomach turn a few times. I switch to Optimum brand Whey... It taste better, cost less.

Diet tea/soda contains artificial sweeteners which actually slow down the body's ability to breaking down stored fat. Drink water or unsweetened tea.

Cereal/Granola bars are basically in the same category as Little Debbie snack cakes.
    Go for pure oats or something with less refined sugar.

Chocolate Milk is loaded with sugar and fat. Milk alone has about 14grams of sugar(even skim) without the extra they throw in chocolate milk. If you are eating yogurt.. you are getting calcium and vitamin d already. Limit the milk. Not saying cut it out totally.. just avoid the chocolate kind.. try low fat white milk if you must drink it.

All in all cut down on the sugar and avoid fried foods. Eat more whole grains and veggies. Watch your calories and keep your Protein up.

Hope that helps.
    No. That doesn't matter. There is nothing wrong with sugar or fat. You can eat all of the sugar-coated fat you want and if your caloric intake is less than your expenditure, you will NEVER gain weight.

Avoiding sugar and fat may be useful "tricks" for people who aren't counting their calories. If you cut some fat out of your diet, you will spontaneously eat less calories. If you replace "refined carbs" with fiber and such, you will spontaneously eat less calories. Sweet.

None of this applies to OCD bodybuilders manually counting every calorie they eat. We don't need little "tricks" to help us "accidentally" eat less calories, because we've taken the plunge into logging sh*t.

If you believe that eating fat makes you fat, you have become a sucker for the food industry.

Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000) Insight is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Jackwallace1234 View Post
    Hey

After reading this i am looking for some advice.

Go to nutritiondata.com to figure out how many calories that is, or sparkpeople.com, or fitday.com. Any of those are good. I personally use nutritiondata.com but I think sparkpeople is a lot better from what I hear (just too lazy to switch)

NCMikeB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ErickStevens View Post
    Pretty much everything you said was idiotic and completely contradictory with the message of this thread. But this one in particular I found offensively ignorant. Stop regurgitating tired broscience "facts" and read some actual scientific literature my man.
    Thanks for cutting this noob down to size. Hope that helps your brain feels justified. A simple correction of what I said would have been a bigger help for everyone.. But instead of helping by sharing your knowledge.. you result to that tired internet forum flame war mantra full of insults and no real answers. Typical internet etiquette. I don't know why I even bothered posting on a forum. I already knew what to expect. Guess I should have kept my noob mouth quiet. Just wanted to help the dude.. and so far what I have been doing has been working... how did I know it wasn't right? Do you realize how many diet plans and eating advice is out there? Its mind numbing.

So tell everyone where to "read some actual scientific literature my man. " What is the best source? Since I just started in Feb. Never worked out or dieted before in my life. I am clueless. (almost 30lbs lighter...) But still clueless. I really need to learn this stuff. Bestow some knowledge. I came here looking to better myself with help from knowledgeable people. If I say something that isn't right. Don't down on me. Help me up.

More answers. Less insults.

Last edited by NCMikeB; 04-15-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: I can do that.

NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hankst View Post
    I can second that.
    Without proper nutrition, you're spinning your wheels.

I just realized I wasted the last year doing bull**** when I could have gotten a lot further with just eating correctly.

Don't be me. Eat up. Or cut. Whatever floats your boat!
    Exactly. In previous years the only thing I've done successfully was put on muscle. But when I tried to cut I spun wheels. Now I'm grinding it out and seeing progress much faster than before.
    Cutting reveals your true size i.e. it's time to lean bulk.

Long term goal is 175 at 8%.

Switching from weights to Gymnastic body weight only.

ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thanks for cutting this noob down to size.
    I apologize for my response, it was completely uncalled for. Anyways, since I like the cut of your jib, I'm going to recommend a couple websites. I want you to go and read everything on them.

http://www.jcdfitness.com
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com
    http://leangains.com/
    "Nutrition for powerlifting: If you are serious about it, you will eat f*cking everything and get strong as $hit." - HamburgerTrain
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163165741

Originally Posted by ncmikeb View Post
    thanks for cutting this noob down to size. Hope that helps your brain feels justified. A simple correction of what i said would have been a bigger help for everyone.. But instead of helping by sharing your knowledge.. You result to that tired internet forum flame war mantra full of insults and no real answers. Typical internet etiquette. I don't know why i even bothered posting on a forum. I already knew what to expect. Guess i should have kept my noob mouth quiet. Just wanted to help the dude.. And so far what i have been doing has been working... How did i know it wasn't right? Do you realize how many diet plans and eating advice is out there? Its mind numbing.

So tell everyone where to "read some actual scientific literature my man. " what is the best source? Since i just started in feb. Never worked out or dieted before in my life. I am clueless. (almost 30lbs lighter...) but still clueless. I really need to learn this stuff. Bestow some knowledge. I came here looking to better myself with help from knowledgeable people. If i say something that isn't right. Don't down on me. Help me up.

WE ARE F*CKING MAD HERE

MAD MAD MAD MADmad

LeaninBack916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LeaninBack916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LeaninBack916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LeaninBack916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LeaninBack916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LeaninBack916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LeaninBack916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LeaninBack916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LeaninBack916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LeaninBack916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LeaninBack916 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ive come a long way in my weight loss journey since '07.. need a little help

I pretty much have been looking at a few threads.. this one.. one for high protein low carb/low fat etc.

Quick question. Per my stats yes I am 6'6" and at 247, I have been doing 2000 calories a day (this past week + plan on doing it for the next month). Is that really too little for my size? I was told by a few people (one who is a local nutritionist) I should be putting in at least 2500 with no cardio/working out. I workout now 3 times a week (ive brought it down) and a basketball league once a week for that extra cardio (and when I say extra, i mean i run up and down and bang the boards hard every time, im winded by the end as I play the entire game), calories have been spot on at the 2000 (or less some days like 1900) give or a take 20-30 as I couldnt quite get the exact numbers for a few things. I have been losing weight and my reps at the gym are still the same (granted I feel like I have to push that little bit harder on the last reps now). I just dont want to lose a LOT of muscle. So..

Anyways is 2000 ok? My weight is slowly dropping and i eat small meals throughout the day (lots of very lean chicken, turkey cutlets, etc) so I know im getting the 1g+ of protein at least.

Recommendations from other taller guys? Experiences? Just curious I plan on staying on this diet until I get to the 220s/230s then I will reevaluate and see if I finally have a flat stomach for the first time in my life. 25 more here I come!
    Last edited by LeaninBack916; 04-15-2010 at 11:29 PM.
    6'6" crew. Just trying to go beastmode every day at the gym. Tall/Fit and to finally go under 238.

Favorite day: Leg Day
    Worst day: Tricep/Chest (Long arms = bench sucks)

Nov 30, 2019: 336
    Jul 3, 2020: 303
    Apr 6, 2021: 319
    June 25, 2021:

-Diet is 90%
    2600kcal cutting = Lifting heavy/Save LM

#HereWeLift
    ---------------------------------

Soon to be mean n lean! Dominikm's Avatar
    Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dominikm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    crumbed chicken breasts are a killer, I have a stash of like 15 pattie in the freezer that I wanna use up, suck a waste to throw them out, having one for lunch each day and it's like 216 cals each.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120534891 - May 1st Challenge. (Prize!) Thread

27/11 - 92.9kg
    04/12 - 92.4kg
    Dec - Month off for the festive season
    04/01 - 101.7kg
    11/01 - 96.95kg
    18/01 - 93.10kg
    25/01 - 92.95kg
    01/02 - 90.70kg
    08/02 - 90.20kg
    15/02 - 87.5kg
    01/03 - 87kg

JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by LeaninBack916 View Post

Anyways is 2000 ok? My weight is slowly dropping and i eat small meals throughout the day (lots of very lean chicken, turkey cutlets, etc) so I know im getting the 1g+ of protein at least.

Recommendations from other taller guys? Experiences? Just curious I plan on staying on this diet until I get to the 220s/230s then I will reevaluate and see if I finally have a flat stomach for the first time in my life. 25 more here I come!
    IMO, I think 2000 is too low of a starting point. but then again, I really dunno what your original starting point was. I know you said you just started with 2000 kcals but how much were you eating before? If you look at the numbers that's around 8kcal/lb. Most lose at 11-12kcal/lb if they're fairly active.
    www.jcdfitness.com
    -A No-BS Approach to Looking Great Naked-

DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would say rule #2 is the key to maintaining the muscle that you already have.
    It is definitely preferable to be trudging down a long hard road, than to be lying dead in a ditch.

in a world built on rules iDrive's Avatar
    iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for cutting this noob down to size. Hope that helps your brain feels justified. A simple correction of what I said would have been a bigger help for everyone.. But instead of helping by sharing your knowledge.. you result to that tired internet forum flame war mantra full of insults and no real answers. Typical internet etiquette. I don't know why I even bothered posting on a forum. I already knew what to expect. Guess I should have kept my noob mouth quiet. Just wanted to help the dude.. and so far what I have been doing has been working... how did I know it wasn't right? Do you realize how many diet plans and eating advice is out there? Its mind numbing.
    Read this thread and you'll find out why Erick had the reaction he did, often people will come in here and say things that go completely against the main idea of this thread... it's in the FIRST POST for god sakes!

Not saying he was right or wrong, and he has already apologized and responded constructively. I agree with him, go to those sites.

Also, read the first post, and the attached link, and that's ALL you need to know about losing fat.

So tell everyone where to "read some actual scientific literature my man."
    Here my man.

I really need to learn this stuff. Bestow some knowledge. I came here looking to better myself with help from knowledgeable people.
    Rarely do I ever ask questions on these boards, not because I'm clueless or afraid to ask questions but because there is a 99.99 (repeating of course) chance that it has been asked before.

Search, Read, Repeat.

If I say something that isn't right. Don't down on me. Help me up.

I like your appeal, so...

Orange Juice has more sugar in it than soda pop.
    Doesn't make OJ bad. It does have more vitamins than soda.

If you want to lose weight replace those fruits with fibrous veggies(raw, grilled, baked. never boiled or fried).
    Again, fruit isn't bad. Vitamins and minerals are important. True that calories from fruit can add up quickly but as long as you're aware of that and can moderate your intake of them (read: be sensible) fruit won't make you insta-fat. Also, all veggies are good too, not just the fibrous ones. And there's nothing wrong with boiling.

Drink more water.
    Good advice.

Ranch Dressing is bad. Try Golden Balsamic Vinaigrette.. try to find the kind made with flax seed oil.
    Try not to think in absolutes like Ranch = Bad; Vinaigrette = Good. A more accurate statement is, "Ranch dressing is calorically dense and the calories tend to add up quickly".

Breaded chicken? Fried? Bad. Go grilled.
    Are there better options than breaded and fried chicken? Probably.
    Bad? Depends.
    Moderation. Always.

Diet tea/soda contains artificial sweeteners which actually slow down the body's ability to breaking down stored fat. Drink water or unsweetened tea.
    Never heard of this. Although artificial sweeteners get a bad rep the jury is still out on the effects they have on the body.

Cereal/Granola bars are basically in the same category as Little Debbie snack cakes.
    Go for pure oats or something with less refined sugar.
    Depends on the brand. Nothing inherently wrong with refined sugar.

Chocolate Milk is loaded with sugar and fat. Milk alone has about 14grams of sugar(even skim) without the extra they throw in chocolate milk. If you are eating yogurt.. you are getting calcium and vitamin d already. Limit the milk. Not saying cut it out totally.. just avoid the chocolate kind.. try low fat white milk if you must drink it.
    If you don't have an intolerance to it, Milk is good. Chocolate milk has been proven effective as a post workout recovery drink.

All in all cut down on the sugar and avoid fried foods. Eat more whole grains and veggies. Watch your calories and keep your Protein up.
    Bold = Great advice. It's 2 of the 3 rules (listed in the first post which you should have read by now, if not go do it. When you get back go read the link attached to it.)

Generally cutting down on sugar and fried foods is a good way to unconsiously cut down calories but it doesn't matter how calories get cut as long as they do.

Yes, I'm saying you can eat sugar and fried foods and still lose fat.
    You don't try to build a wall.
    You don't set out to build a wall.
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

You say, "I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid.".
    You do that every single day, and soon you'll have a wall.

in a world built on rules iDrive's Avatar
    iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RyanMarkB View Post
    Does anyone know any methods of targeting the lower abdominal area? I cant seem to lose the fat around that section. Always a problem. Any advice would be appreciated.
    As was said, you can't spot reduce. Generally lower abdominals is the absolute last place fat comes off.

You also said you're 17%BF. Get lower and you'll see them. Generally 8-10% is where you can get a good six.

I pretty much have been looking at a few threads.. this one.. one for high protein low carb/low fat etc.
    I think this is a downfall of many. They make great progress then start to over analyze and forget what worked for them in the beginning.

Is that really too little for my size?
    As per rule 3, as long as you're maintaining an acceptable level of weight loss there's no real "too little"

Anyways is 2000 ok? My weight is slowly dropping
    I fail to see the problem with you're current intake if your weight is still dropping?
    You don't try to build a wall.
    You don't set out to build a wall.
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

You say, "I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid.".
    You do that every single day, and soon you'll have a wall.

DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DARKSPEED has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As long as you reach your protein goal, 2000 is fine. The further you can go into deficit and still meet your protein goal the more fat you will lose and still retain muscle.

Originally Posted by Lyle McDonald
    A 165-pound male with normal activity patterns may have a maintenance requirement of about 2700 calories per day. At 800 calories per day on this diet, that’s almost a 2000 calorie per day deficit, 14,000 calories over a week, 28,000 calories over 2 weeks (note there is a slowing of metabolic rat that reduces these values somewhat). Assuming all of the true (non-water) weight lost was fat (it won’t be), that should be an 8-pound fat loss in 2 weeks (28,000 / 3,500 = 8 pounds) or approximately 2/3rd of a pound of fat lost per day. The true fat loss will be lower because of various inefficiencies and the slowdown of metabolic rate (which can start after only 3-4 days of severe caloric restriction).

A larger individual, say 250 pounds, may have a maintenance caloric requirement near 3,750 calories per day. At 800 cal per day on this diet, that’s a 3,000-calorie per day deficit. Over 2 weeks, that’s a 42,000-calorie deficit, divided by 3,500 calories per pound of fat equals 12 pounds of fat. That’s on top of the 10 or more pounds of water that may be lost.
    It is definitely preferable to be trudging down a long hard road, than to be lying dead in a ditch.

Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DARKSPEED View Post
    As long as you reach your protein goal, 2000 is fine. The further you can go into deficit and still meet your protein goal the more fat you will lose and still retain muscle.
    Yeah, but if he wants to do that he should buy the RFL book from Lyle's site and follow it to the letter. There's no fawking around with that particular diet.

Alan gets great results with smaller deficits but a longer time period. I don't think that an RFL-style (PSMFish) diet will work well with this guy's activity levels. Given his size a 2500kcal/day diet would put him at almost a 1000kcal/day deficit.

Ultimately its up to him, but for long term weight maintenance it might be best to do one round of RFL followed by a more linear approach until he hits a real plateau.
    NSCA-CSCS

My blog: http://www.worldsfittestblog.com/

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

“Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that bull and just play.” --Charlie Parker

Yeah, I was just using that as an extreme example. IMHO meeting rule 2 is still the most important key to maintaining one's current muscle mass. The calories are up to him.

Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000) Teflon_Don is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DARKSPEED View Post
    Yeah, I was just using that as an extreme example. IMHO meeting rule 2 is still the most important key to maintaining one's current muscle mass. The calories are up to him.
    #2 alone might be sufficient with a small deficit, but if you want to get anywhere approaching lean while maintaining appreciable muscle mass, you must be following #1 also (unless you are one of the genetically gifted--in which case you'd never read this thread).
    NSCA-CSCS

My blog: http://www.worldsfittestblog.com/

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

“Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that bull and just play.” --Charlie Parker

PSMF w/ EOD refeeds

...anyone try this?

fni is just really nice. (+1000) fni is just really nice. (+1000) fni is just really nice. (+1000) fni is just really nice. (+1000) fni is just really nice. (+1000) fni is just really nice. (+1000) fni is just really nice. (+1000) fni is just really nice. (+1000) fni is just really nice. (+1000) fni is just really nice. (+1000) fni is just really nice. (+1000)
    So today is my refeed day and damn I had an amazing time at the gym today. Totally different from the rest of the week when I could barely lift. Not sure if we're allowed to post a link to another forum but I found this thread on refeeds and leptin quite interesting and useful.

QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Should diet cokes be left out while cutting? I drink 0,5 L a day.

JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000) JCDF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by HenrikB View Post
    Should diet cokes be left out while cutting? I drink 0,5 L a day.
    no.
    www.jcdfitness.com
    -A No-BS Approach to Looking Great Naked-

wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Damit, just wrote a big ass reply to some questions and then the damn Hotel WLAN crashed. Anyway, most answers where links to the first post anyway.

I promised to answer this one, so I'll retype:

Originally Posted by cman123 View Post
    Hey wave, my bodyfat percentage is 10.7-11.0% when i measure it, i was looking to get to 8% for summer. If i were to use a recomp diet, do you think i would be able to drop that much fat by june 1st? I know this diet is about slower results over time, but it looks pretty cool, so i just thought id ask.
    How fast you can recomp mainly depends on your genetics. If you can reach your goal in time also depends on your actual bodyfat which may be higher than you measured/think.
    Last edited by wave_length; 04-16-2010 at 08:29 PM.
    How to lose fat for Noobs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i did a cut last year but ate way too low (i am used to getting 3400-3600 and gain .5 - 1 lb a week usually), and i was eating around 2400-2600 and i lost way too much muscle and the cut went too fast. my bodyfat didnt even change all that much either even though i dropped about 8 lbs. i was just wondering how much should i be eating roughly, aware it depends on a ****load of factors but an estimation would be appreciated. idk if i should even worry about the scale and just focus on the mirror instead? im thinking 3000 cals, start with that and track weight for a few weeks to see if its working and then re-adjust every 5 lbs or something? im at 12% and the cut starts beginning of next month, i wanna do this cut right. to get to 8-9% how long would it realistically take me roughly? (assuming i will be doing HIIT/cardio 3x a week along with routine, and all that good stuff).
    ~Sh!tty Chest Crew~ CEO & Founder
    Traditional Wetshaving Crew
    Misc Snapchatters Crew

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146163903

"The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found.
    There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength.
    Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential,
    It's impossible to turn back."
    -Henry Rollins

NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorCALSpeed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by xKyle10 View Post
    i did a cut last year but ate way too low (i am used to getting 3400-3600 and gain .5 - 1 lb a week usually), and i was eating around 2400-2600 and i lost way too much muscle and the cut went too fast. my bodyfat didnt even change all that much either even though i dropped about 8 lbs. i was just wondering how much should i be eating roughly, aware it depends on a ****load of factors but an estimation would be appreciated. idk if i should even worry about the scale and just focus on the mirror instead? im thinking 3000 cals, start with that and track weight for a few weeks to see if its working and then re-adjust every 5 lbs or something? im at 12% and the cut starts beginning of next month, i wanna do this cut right. to get to 8-9% how long would it realistically take me roughly? (assuming i will be doing HIIT/cardio 3x a week along with routine, and all that good stuff).
    If you're 5'9" but lost 8 lbs of muscle eating 2400 a day, you either play sports, are extremely active, or have an insane metabolism. I'm 2 inches taller than you (but 9 years older) and my cuting diet is under 2000 calories. When I bulked I only went up to 3k-ish. Were you getting enough protein when you were cutting?

When you say you were "normally" eating 3400 a day, was that for a bulk or to simply maintain?
    Cutting reveals your true size i.e. it's time to lean bulk.

Long term goal is 175 at 8%.

Switching from weights to Gymnastic body weight only.

xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000) xKyle10 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NorCALSpeed View Post
    If you're 5'9" but lost 8 lbs of muscle eating 2400 a day, you either play sports, are extremely active, or have an insane metabolism. I'm 2 inches taller than you (but 9 years older) and my cuting diet is under 2000 calories. When I bulked I only went up to 3k-ish. Were you getting enough protein when you were cutting?

When you say you were "normally" eating 3400 a day, was that for a bulk or to simply maintain?
    at the time i was playing tennis 5-6 days a week and did cardio 3-5 days a week....i wouldnt say i lost 8 lbs of pure muscle because there was a slight change in bf% but id say 3-4 lbs were mostly muscle

i am currently eating 3400-3600 a day and i am bulking, gaining .5-1 lb/week. right now i play tennis 5 days a week and lift 4 days a week. work 2 days a week aswell and my job is pretty active so that may explain it. my protein was definitely not up to par with what i get now which is usually always at least 180 and on good days is 220+
    ~Sh!tty Chest Crew~ CEO & Founder
    Traditional Wetshaving Crew
    Misc Snapchatters Crew

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146163903

"The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found.
    There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength.
    Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential,
    It's impossible to turn back."
    -Henry Rollins

Closed Thread
Page 265 of 343 FirstFirst ... 165 215 255 263 264 265 266 267 275 315 ... LastLast