Closed Thread
    CompletePimp is not very well liked. (-100) CompletePimp is not very well liked. (-100) CompletePimp is not very well liked. (-100) CompletePimp is not very well liked. (-100) CompletePimp is not very well liked. (-100) CompletePimp is not very well liked. (-100) CompletePimp is not very well liked. (-100) CompletePimp is not very well liked. (-100) CompletePimp is not very well liked. (-100) CompletePimp is not very well liked. (-100) CompletePimp is not very well liked. (-100)

Do your muscles look smaller after working out?

I know muscles get pumped up while you're working out. But do you ever notice that they shrink in the following hours? I always seem to not look as full after working out... Anyone else notice this?

And I don't mean when the lactic acid leaves the body but in general. Seem to look smaller than on your days off. And then the next day bigger again. So what I mean is that it seems like the hours after working out, the muscles look smaller than they did before you even started the workout.
    Last edited by CompletePimp; 01-25-2009 at 05:55 PM.

TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Probably because the muscles are tired?

Less internet, more gym DontRevMe's Avatar
    DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    the blood doesn't stay in the muscle...

rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    this is where consistent eating of carbs/pro/fat every 2-3 hours and drinking a ****load of water comes into play. also u might want to try creatine pre and post workout

M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rude boy View Post
    this is where consistent eating of carbs/pro/fat every 2-3 hours and drinking a ****load of water comes into play. also u might want to try creatine pre and post workout
    Yeah? Not really. What happens when you work out is your blood vessels dilate to release excess heat that your body is creating from working out. Also bigger blood vessels = more blood that carries oxygen TO your muscles.

This is also why you sweat. Your body releases excess water and other nutrients through your skin to help cool off.

When you are done working out, your blood vessels start to slowly get smaller since they don't need to release as much blood for oxygen to your muscles... and your heart isn't working as hard.

With increased blood flow during work out your muscles will increase in size as they use up the extra oxygen from your blood. Post work out, they shrink because they no longer need all that extra oxygen.

Make sense?

rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by M3Rachel View Post
    Yeah? Not really. What happens when you work out is your blood vessels dilate to release excess heat that your body is creating from working out. Also bigger blood vessels = more blood that carries oxygen TO your muscles.

This is also why you sweat. Your body releases excess water and other nutrients through your skin to help cool off.

When you are done working out, your blood vessels start to slowly get smaller since they don't need to release as much blood for oxygen to your muscles... and your heart isn't working as hard.

With increased blood flow during work out your muscles will increase in size as they use up the extra oxygen from your blood. Post work out, they shrink because they no longer need all that extra oxygen.

Make sense?
    oh give me a break. science schmience. stop boring me and everyone else with your textbook copy and paste garbage. do u seriously think this is the kind of answer people here are looking for? no..

eat a lot, drink a lot of water, work hard in the gym and your muscles will stay full-looking. there you have it

M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10) M3Rachel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oh give me a break. science schmience. stop boring me and everyone else with your textbook copy and paste garbage. do u seriously think this is the kind of answer people here are looking for? no..

eat a lot, drink a lot of water, work hard in the gym and your muscles will stay full-looking. there you have it
    actually I'm a nursing student and I've studied muscles and their function, protein use, and cell structure thoroughly. So I'm going to trust science over some crap you're attempting to spoon feed someone who wants to know precisely why his muscles aren't as big post work out as they are DURING work out.

Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demon-seven will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No they stay swolen looking for awhile and do no become smaller looking only sore

CartierWatch has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CartierWatch has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CartierWatch has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CartierWatch has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CartierWatch has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CartierWatch has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CartierWatch has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CartierWatch has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CartierWatch has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yeah, during and right after my workout, my muscles look pretty swoll... But once that dies down, they look ridiculously small. The next day or two, they get back to normal size, though.

Denis929321 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Denis929321 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Denis929321 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by CompletePimp View Post
    I know muscles get pumped up while you're working out. But do you ever notice that they shrink in the following hours? I always seem to not look as full after working out... Anyone else notice this?

And I don't mean when the lactic acid leaves the body but in general. Seem to look smaller than on your days off. And then the next day bigger again. So what I mean is that it seems like the hours after working out, the muscles look smaller than they did before you even started the workout.
    hold on am i missing something? i thought that the obvious reason was because your muscles use up their glucose or glycogen stores for energy.. and since ur muscle's glycogen outnumbers your muscle 3 to 1 it makes them apear smaller post pump. but in the following days they regain size do to diet. i suggest you try to get as many simple carbs into your muscle post workout .. creatine can help but i dont recommend

Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Need to get some carbs in after a workout!

asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000) asdf89 is just really nice. (+1000)
    mine always look bigger for sure...i can notice the next day they look bigger than normal also compared to when i havent worked that muscle in a few days...been some threads on this..think its cause your body is steadily pumping blood to deliver nutrients even the next day or so

oh chit somebody revived this lol

mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmafighter1294 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Denis929321 View Post
    hold on am i missing something? i thought that the obvious reason was because your muscles use up their glucose or glycogen stores for energy.. and since ur muscle's glycogen outnumbers your muscle 3 to 1 it makes them apear smaller post pump. but in the following days they regain size do to diet. i suggest you try to get as many simple carbs into your muscle post workout .. creatine can help but i dont recommend
    Im sure OP is interested in your advice 3 years later.
    GSF

TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    it is normal for your muscles to appear smaller several hours after a workout, your pump has now faded and you are used to the look feel of the pump so now you will look a little smaller, no worries, the only one who can tell the difference is you probably

pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pvn23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I guess your username really does speak for itself. Some people actually read what other users post in order to increase their knowledge on these information instead of saying, "WALL OF TEXT, TL;DR".

Originally Posted by M3Rachel View Post
    actually I'm a nursing student and I've studied muscles and their function, protein use, and cell structure thoroughly. So I'm going to trust science over some crap you're attempting to spoon feed someone who wants to know precisely why his muscles aren't as big post work out as they are DURING work out.
    Your answer to the OP's question hit the spot. Even though I know what happens with my muscles pre and post workout, reading some more information definitely helps out with better understanding what is going on. Keep at it, your information is great for the community!

nhunter1983 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by CartierWatch View Post
    Yeah, during and right after my workout, my muscles look pretty swoll... But once that dies down, they look ridiculously small. The next day or two, they get back to normal size, though.
    Mine usually look pretty big right after a workout but then they shrink after a while then seen smaller during the week... anyone get that??