Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

are bent-over barbel rows critical for a good back workout?

i really hate doing them, i much prefer one-arm dumbbell rows (on a bench). i feel it much more in my upper/middle back when i do these. barbel rows are so difficult for me i can't establish a MMC at all and i end up using bad form.

am i missing out on a lot of i just do these one-arm dumbbell rows, and the rowing machine for middle back?

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    No.

Provided you're feeling the rows and can continue adding weight, use any variation you like, whether that's with dumbbells, machines, or even bodyweight.

XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000)
    keep doing some sort/variation of a row

pulling the bar below your navel works your lats more, pulling the bar above your navel will work more of your upper & inner back

rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    you shouldnt be doing any exercise you dont like

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by rude boy View Post
    you shouldn't be giving advice. especially if you keep creating lame ass threads.

d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you shouldnt be doing any exercise you dont feel works for you
    fixed the sentence for you.

I believe you should at least focus and give the exercise a try before throwing it out of your routine.

that said,

a type of ROW is probably essential to a complete & developed back. you cant do 4 types of pull downs and have a perfect back, ya dig? luckily there are silly amounts of rows for you to try, you will love at least 1 of them.
    Last edited by d16daily; 01-25-2009 at 10:27 AM.
    "A big guy don't need floor poses... that's only for midgets."

-Lee Haney

Registered User lightningwatche's Avatar
    lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    No.

Provided you're feeling the rows and can continue adding weight, use any variation you like, whether that's with dumbbells, machines, or even bodyweight.

Totally agree. If you are doing good form, feeling it, and getting stronger, keep it up. Only way you can go wrong doing that is if your form is bad and you get muscle imbalance and pull something later. But if you are doing both sides and in the right form, you should be fine. I prefer seated cable pulls though.

Dumbbell rows disengage the lower back since you are supportingthe upper body with your free arm. So don't try to jump into barbell rows at the same weight later unless you've been working your lower back withing else, like maybe squats or good mornings.

lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    um, he better be working every muscle group in a balanced way, even if he does not like that muscle group.

But if you meant to say he does not have to work that group with a certain type of exercise if another exercise he likes works it just as well, then that's OK.

Originally Posted by XXX666 View Post
    keep doing some sort/variation of a row

pulling the bar below your navel works your lats more, pulling the bar above your navel will work more of your upper & inner back
    If you pull the bar with your elbow brushing near your sides, you are using the exact same muscle (almost, not same range of motion) as when you are doing a chin up (lats). So he is correct, but I think I don't even know where my naval is when my shirt is on. lol.

If you flare your elbows out to the sides, perpendicular to your body, then you work the upper back and inside. You don't even have to go to 90 degrees though, and 90 degrees may saw some tendons in two over time. If you go at 45 degrees, you get a bit of each.

You can do all this with dumbells, though the wide flare is harder to balance. Just make sure you do both, or go for the 45 degrees.

Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500)
    One armed DB rows are a joke and on one ever does it properly has they jerk to one side and cant maintain a straight back. Its a girly exercise

iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Shylock View Post
    One armed DB rows are a joke and on one ever does it properly has they jerk to one side and cant maintain a straight back. Its a girly exercise
    Do you mean you don't do it properly and jerk it to one side as you can't maintain a straight back because you're a girl?

Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are so many exercises that cover the back,but you cant beat bent over rows for good overall compound movement,I hate squats..but I cant get around its benefits.

Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by iSkinny View Post
    Do you mean you don't do it properly and jerk it to one side as you can't maintain a straight back because you're a girl?
    No i mean its a girly exercise....done mostly bu newbies. BB rows is right on the money.

1 straighter back

2 done in half the time

3 easier to achive proper form and more muscles hit

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No i mean its a girly exercise....done mostly bu newbies. BB rows is right on the money.

1 straighter back

2 done in half the time

almost every pro bber does db rows.....

XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by lightningwatche View Post
    If you pull the bar with your elbow brushing near your sides, you are using the exact same muscle (almost, not same range of motion) as when you are doing a chin up (lats). So he is correct, but I think I don't even know where my naval is when my shirt is on. lol.

If you flare your elbows out to the sides, perpendicular to your body, then you work the upper back and inside. You don't even have to go to 90 degrees though, and 90 degrees may saw some tendons in two over time. If you go at 45 degrees, you get a bit of each.

You can do all this with dumbells, though the wide flare is harder to balance. Just make sure you do both, or go for the 45 degrees.

never flare your elbows when doing rows.

where you pull the bar/weight to will determine at what area of the back you will contract

rows are not the same as chins/pull-ups/pulldowns. the start position of the shoulders in respect to you torso is different

pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pumped12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i do dumbbell rows, should i switch to barbell for a change of pace?
    6'5 285ibs

Boomer Sooner.

Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Exactly, unless you plan to compete then suck it up!

Originally Posted by lightningwatche View Post
    um, he better be working every muscle group in a balanced way, even if he does not like that muscle group.

But if you meant to say he does not have to work that group with a certain type of exercise if another exercise he likes works it just as well, then that's OK.
    Why exactly does someone have to do something they dont enjoy when they have the freedom not to, I mean I wouldnt wanna do some things if I didnt enjoy it first.

Originally Posted by iSkinny View Post
    I think thats what he means

1 straighter back

2 done in half the time

yes because this guy here is girly

Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by SDFlip View Post
    you shouldn't be giving advice. especially if you keep creating lame ass threads.
    you may compete in bodybuilding competitions buddy, but don't act like you know everything. you lack some serious common sense and logic. and judging by your seriously under developed physique, you obviously are missing a lot of key bodybuilding knowledge and know-how. and thats the motherfukin truth, so stop buggin me kid

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

Thumbs down

No i mean its a girly exercise....done mostly bu newbies.

Yeah, only for girls.

LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah, only for girls.
    I'd call them girly right to their faces.

...from my car with my foot hovering over the gas pedal.

Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I kinda feel u can get more upper back isolation on one arm rows, as inevitably, heavy bb rows do involve some cheating, at least for me.

But, on balance, they're pretty equivalent exercises

Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That's some amazing form in those vids.
    I want to touch the butt.

Originally Posted by Seamless View Post
    Sarcasm?

Just checking because I know a few e-experts who would have a problem with his form.

Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Los_Diablo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't think barbell rows are a necessity

But some kind of rows are.

Originally Posted by SDFlip View Post
    almost every pro bber does db rows.....
    yes i know they do - becuase they have come damn to lazy to do BB ROWS like the old guys did back in the 70's. You wont see newbies do BB rows JUST db Most have bad from and waste their time. DB rows is a joke!! Good luck to people wasting your time on that trash! You would never hit the back with that crap like BB rows

Originally Posted by Seamless View Post
    Are you fckin blind? lol!! The first video the guy is jerk his whole body up to one side - he might as well be working only his arms. his back is not not straight when moves the weight up. Not striaght like it would be if he is doing BB rows. I would say this for the 194489th time DB rows is a joke!!! A WASTE OF TIME!!1

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    you may compete in bodybuilding competitions buddy, but don't act like you know everything. you lack some serious common sense and logic. and judging by your seriously under developed physique, you obviously are missing a lot of key bodybuilding knowledge and know-how. and thats the motherfukin truth, so stop buggin me kid
    Just going by his history of posts that I've seen over the last 4 years, Flip does know quite a lot about bbing, and I usually agree with his answers. He is beyond the absolute statements and understands the subtle nuances. If you want to hate on him, attacking his base of knowledge is not the way.
    Time To Re-Schedule

dePaljas is on a distinguished road. (+10) dePaljas is on a distinguished road. (+10) dePaljas is on a distinguished road. (+10) dePaljas is on a distinguished road. (+10) dePaljas is on a distinguished road. (+10) dePaljas is on a distinguished road. (+10) dePaljas is on a distinguished road. (+10) dePaljas is on a distinguished road. (+10) dePaljas is on a distinguished road. (+10) dePaljas is on a distinguished road. (+10) dePaljas is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would agree if there is a 100% equivalent exercise you could do instead, or if it would discourage you so much to perform a specific exercise that it would ruin the rest of your workout. Otherwise, no pain no gain, it's working out.

No.

I think the effect of BB row is a bit different from the SA DB row. With the latter people often rotate (part of) your upper body at the upper part of the movement. You can't do that with BB row since your using both arms at the same time. I was having trouble at first with BB row getting the bar all the way up (for heavier weights), I think this means I was lacking strength in the inner part of the upper back. If you do DB rows, you can cheat your way through this by rotating (rolling) your upper body.

Still admirin Xmas brah? BaSsSiKk's Avatar
    BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

1 straighter back

2 done in half the time

WUT?!

Ashton09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you fckin blind? lol!! The first video the guy is jerk his whole body up to one side - he might as well be working only his arms. his back is not not straight when moves the weight up. Not striaght like it would be if he is doing BB rows. I would say this for the 194489th time DB rows is a joke!!! A WASTE OF TIME!!1
    Your kiddin me right? No DB rows will NOT replace pull ups but it is a damn good exercise IF you are doing it in proper form and IF its something your body responds to. Not everyone gets the same results out of the same workouts!