ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Running VS jump rope time

I need to be able to run 3 km in 15 minutes for one of the firefighter schools I want to apply to. I'm not a member of a gym (I have a home gym) so I don't have access to a threadmill to measure if I can do this. For cardio I use a jump rope.

My question is, jump rope is quite intense, do I need to be able to jump rope 15 minutes non stop and if so at what speed to do the equivalent of running 15 minutes or can I expect to run longer than I can jump rope?

I'll try to run outside and use Google Maps to figure out a 3 km lenght but it's the middle of winter and the streets are full of snow so it's not going to be obvious.

Thanks

Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jcfreak_02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    different movement altogether the only commonality is the use of legs (but for different motion) and the cardio aspect.
    if a nearby community college or park is available, the best way to practice for a run is to run.
    3KM in 15 minutes is roughly a 7:30 minute/mile pace... not too bad.
    God is bigger than you
    Christianity isn't just a belief, it is a lifestyle.
    "Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did"- 1 John 2:6

Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The effect on skipping on your running speed is going to be very low.

Skipping for most people will not get the HR as high as running simply unless your calves are extraordinarily conditioned. Morever, it won't give you hamstring endurance, which is more important for running that the calf endurance (and wrist) from skipping

My advice is to use google maps, work out what track is 3 km, and time yourself.

You could also look into running programs, which may suggest some longer and shorter runs to improve your time

Edit: sorry didn't see ur google map comment. Is there any oval where it may be safe to run? No snow in Australia so I don't know what its like to run on

qwijibo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with the previous posters. Skipping rope has no correlation to running distances. They are two seperate things. If you want to get better at running, you will need to run. I can skip rope for 15 straight minutes, but that has no effect on how far I can run

ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ch2s has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I figured it was exactly 3 km to the grocery store so I tried running there but I had to switch between running and walking along the way. In the end I did it in about 19 minutes or 4 minutes too long, plus I wasn't constantly running (keep in mind this was in snow with a big winter coat so I had extra weight and energy wated crushing snow with each step).

I think I was running a bit too fast also, I think I need to learn to run slower but for longer.

When they ask to run 3 km in 15 minutes I assume I can't slow down and walk for some periods even if I got 15 minutes that way?

I could also tell it wasn't muscle fatigue when I slowed to a walk, I clearly need to improve my cardio so jump rope should help for that.

Thanks

apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Also, you can try www.mapmyrun.com. If you click on the "Hybrid" view it will give you the google satellite view and you can map out your distance very easily.
    "If you're hardcore you'll taste the blood of innocent kittens and bunny rabbits when you shrug out that last set..." - AmericanMETAL13

-Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nice link apfu.
    Find a indoor place to run like an indoor basketball gym, sucks running in circles but its better than running outside in the snow, trust me on that one.
    3km in 15min is pretty easy.
    What kind of exercise equipment do you have access to?
    old broken soldier
    ACPT, NSCA
    Hughumanity.org
    Remembering the fallen

Stasher1 - Reps owed

I have a home gym and have:
    -Bench press
    -Power rack
    -Barbell with 300 lbs of weights
    -Dumbbells with 50 lbs of weights each
    -Jump rope

-Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Than I would suggest doing some crossfit to supplement your running. It will help with your endurance and overall fitness. Jump rope will help as well.
    You only need to be in moderate shape to make that run.
    old broken soldier
    ACPT, NSCA
    Hughumanity.org
    Remembering the fallen

Stasher1 - Reps owed

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Running is what you will need to do. They are both a good workout but they are not the same thing.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    Running is what you will need to do. They are both a good workout but they are not the same thing.
    Running would be best but you could walk backwards (not literally) and make 3k in 15min, therefore a general level of fitness will suffice.
    If you want to blow it out of the water then run.
    old broken soldier
    ACPT, NSCA
    Hughumanity.org
    Remembering the fallen

Stasher1 - Reps owed

Mr.Mexican has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Mexican has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Mexican has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Mexican has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Mexican has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Mexican has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Mexican has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Mexican has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Mexican has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Mexican has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Mexican has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    pmed. yeah u need endurance, then try working on ur speed

Originally Posted by -Ironside- View Post
    Running would be best but you could walk backwards (not literally) and make 3k in 15min, therefore a general level of fitness will suffice.
    If you want to blow it out of the water then run.
    What does "walk backwards (not literally)" mean?

Mr.Mex: Thanks for your pm, will check that out.

I mean 3km in 15 minutes is very easy to do, a light jog. Anyone with a little bit of endurance shouldn't have a problem.
    old broken soldier
    ACPT, NSCA
    Hughumanity.org
    Remembering the fallen

Stasher1 - Reps owed

apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10) apfu is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by -Ironside- View Post
    Than I would suggest doing some crossfit to supplement your running. It will help with your endurance and overall fitness. Jump rope will help as well.
    You only need to be in moderate shape to make that run.
    +1 if you are looking at becoming a firefighter I would definately suggest looking into crossfit.com or crossfitendurance.com and making that part of your workout routine.
    "If you're hardcore you'll taste the blood of innocent kittens and bunny rabbits when you shrug out that last set..." - AmericanMETAL13