GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Barbell Shoulder Press

Do it in front of the head or behind the head? I've read about both and I don't know which to go with.

Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Some people endure shoulder pain from doing it behind the neck, but thats all personal really. I would go with what you enjoy the most, and can put your best effort into doing.
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GoVols has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Frankdaddy View Post
    Some people endure shoulder pain from doing it behind the neck, but thats all personal really. I would go with what you enjoy the most, and can put your best effort into doing.
    K thank you

justpicaname is on a distinguished road. (+10) justpicaname is on a distinguished road. (+10) justpicaname is on a distinguished road. (+10) justpicaname is on a distinguished road. (+10) justpicaname is on a distinguished road. (+10) justpicaname is on a distinguished road. (+10) justpicaname is on a distinguished road. (+10) justpicaname is on a distinguished road. (+10) justpicaname is on a distinguished road. (+10) justpicaname is on a distinguished road. (+10) justpicaname is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    behind really hurts my RC when I go heavy, so I keep it to the front.

iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    They both place the shoulder in a position of external rotation and abdution. In this position the imposed load then creates an external rotatory moment on the Glenohumeral capsule. It creates an unstable position. Therefore for either option technique is of utmost paramount.

Generally though BTN press is harder to perform correctly, due to flexibility - and people having no clue how to perform it correctly - being a major issue/problem. Most people stick to in front pressing for this reason, although there is apparently not much difference in activation - at least not according to my lecturer - although I can't find any study's to back this point up.

Originally Posted by iSkinny View Post
    They both place the shoulder in a position of external rotation and abdution. In this position the imposed load then creates an external rotatory moment on the Glenohumeral capsule. It creates an unstable position. Therefore for either option technique is of utmost paramount.

Generally though BTN press is harder to perform correctly, due to flexibility - and people having no clue how to perform it correctly - being a major issue/problem. Most people stick to in front pressing for this reason, although there is apparently not much difference in activation - at least not according to my lecturer - although I can't find any study's to back this point up.
    Very informative. Thanks

Archangel12580 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Archangel12580 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Archangel12580 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Archangel12580 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Archangel12580 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Archangel12580 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Archangel12580 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Archangel12580 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Archangel12580 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Archangel12580 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Archangel12580 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ive found front to be both less of a strain on the RC and more affective. This is just my own personal experience though. I have spoken to others who are die hard about going behind the head, its just something that never worked too well for me. So I guess its really up to you and what you are comfortable with.

corey1983 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corey1983 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corey1983 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I prefer to do them to the front as if I try to go behind the neck my ROM sucks and it hurts more which leads to me stopping before completing my sets.

zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    there r the few who are built to be able to go behind the head..but for most ppl it will just shred up your rc's.

ShoeyTennis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    Do it in front of the head or behind the head? I've read about both and I don't know which to go with.
    always the front for me, my neck hurts like crap alot.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    You may be able to do presses behind your neck, and get a bit more medial delt involvement, as compared to presses to the front. And you may damage one or both shoulders while you're at it. Why not do presses to the front, not risk injury, and then rely on isolation exercises to work your your medial and rear delts safely. That way, it's all good.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733