Thread: overhead shrugs

kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50)

overhead shrugs

anyone do these? just a week and a half ago I remembered reading about them, and tried them for the first time..... they seemed pretty effective and not just the peak area of the trap, but a little bit of anterior deltoid as well? it was just an all encompassing upper shoulder feeling of stress/pump/work/howeveryouwanttocallit

this was not used as a primary exercise for the traps, I still did my normal shrug routine.... but does it seem like a logical thing to add? or was the feeling of effectiveness just a fluke because it was such a random and different range of motion?

XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i do on overhead shrug when i'm shoulder pressing at the top of the movement.

traps are a very robust muscle, they can withstand a lot of work.

lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I dont see any point to the exercise at all.

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kidkidneys View Post
    anyone do these? just a week and a half ago I remembered reading about them, and tried them for the first time..... they seemed pretty effective and not just the peak area of the trap, but a little bit of anterior deltoid as well? it was just an all encompassing upper shoulder feeling of stress/pump/work/howeveryouwanttocallit

this was not used as a primary exercise for the traps, I still did my normal shrug routine.... but does it seem like a logical thing to add? or was the feeling of effectiveness just a fluke because it was such a random and different range of motion?
    i tried them a few times a few years ago..... not a fan.

kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lancs_hotpot View Post
    I'm tellin' ya, I felt a strain and a burn.... but I'm also tellin' ya I dont know if thats just because its an awkward motion I'm not used to, or if it was the muscles actually getting a serious work

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kidkidneys View Post
    I'm tellin' ya, I felt a strain and a burn.... but I'm also tellin' ya I dont know if thats just because its an awkward motion I'm not used to, or if it was the muscles actually getting a serious work
    i get a strain and a burn carrying groceries from the car to my house. it doesn't mean it's building any muscle... and i go to the store a lot!

for traps stick with db/bb shrugs, deadlift variations, and upright rows

Originally Posted by SDFlip View Post
    i get a strain and a burn carrying groceries from the car to my house. it doesn't mean it's building any muscle... and i go to the store a lot!

for traps stick with db/bb shrugs, deadlift variations, and upright rows
    already keen on shrugs and upright rows..... just trying new and exciting options every once in a while

got this idea from abcbodybuilding.com, they had a huge list of crazy exercises for each bodypart.... theres probably a similar list somewhere on this site I just havent looked around enough

abc has a good list of exercises.... better than the one here.

it may be an okay change but i wouldn't make it a staple in your exercise rotation.

like i said before, i did them a few times a few years ago....

if you want to try something different for traps, try:

incline db shrugs (face down)

kelso rows

shrugs on the calf raise machine

Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10)

kelso rows

This. And Hise Shrugs.

Originally Posted by Big-Kahuna View Post
    This. And Hise Shrugs.
    those are the same as shrugs on the calf raise machine.

ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i have just read an article about rotator cuff stregthening, and overhead shrugs featured in it...if anyones interested im sure i could find it again

Originally Posted by ad$ View Post
    i have just read an article about rotator cuff stregthening, and overhead shrugs featured in it...if anyones interested im sure i could find it again
    i can see them benefiting other things more than traps.... r/c may be one of them.

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Does shrugging with straight arms overhead on a pulldown machine qualify as an overhead shrug? I've heard them referred to as reverse shrugs. I like doing them when I hit failure on the pulldown as an intensity-enhancer.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

Originally Posted by hulkinout View Post
    Does pulling with straight arms on a pulldown machine qualify as an overhead shrug? I've heard them referred to as reverse shrugs. I like doing them when I hit failure on the pulldown as an intensity-enhancer.
    not really the same thing, but thats an interesting idea I may try in the future on back days

Originally Posted by hulkinout View Post
    Does shrugging with straight arms overhead on a pulldown machine qualify as an overhead shrug? I've heard them referred to as reverse shrugs. I like doing them when I hit failure on the pulldown as an intensity-enhancer.
    no, but those are a GOOD exercise!

PowerTricks will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerTricks will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerTricks will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerTricks will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerTricks will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerTricks will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerTricks will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerTricks will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerTricks will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerTricks will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerTricks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lancs_hotpot View Post
    Technically you're supposed to shrug your shoulders at the end of an overhead press so there would be an important point to the exercise.

ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ad$ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i can see them benefiting other things more than traps.... r/c may be one of them.
    overhead shrugs are right near the bottom of this article http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...lls_and_shrugs

Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sim882 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

kelso rows

incline db shrugs are actually a useful addition because they hit the lower traps extremely well

Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big-Kahuna is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    those are the same as shrugs on the calf raise machine.
    I mean Hise Breathing Shrugs. They're the same movement, you can do them on a calf raise machine, but they're not just "shrugs on the calf raise machine".

Read this on Hise Breathing Shrugs: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...eathing_shrugs

Originally Posted by Big-Kahuna View Post
    I mean Hise Breathing Shrugs. They're the same movement, you can do them on a calf raise machine, but they're not just "shrugs on the calf raise machine".

Read this on Hise Breathing Shrugs: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...eathing_shrugs
    i've read that and done them before

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i've read that and done them before
    I've done them for years, but never heard them called Hise shrugs before. Kelso shrugs are cool too.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am just recovering from a RC injury and I really like overhead shrugs; my shoulder feels great after them. The hit the traps quite differently than regular shrugs imo. They are a staple in my trap routine at the moment.

Also, these Hise Breathing Shrugs sound pretty cool. I read the article, but I still don't quite understand how to perform, could someone elaborate?