dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is keto right for me?

I am 5'8" and 211 right now at about 21% bodyfat (all in my abdomen). I have recently lost about 29lbs cutting calories, low fat and low carb (high protein of course). I lift hard 3 days a week and do HIIT 3 times a week.

I was looking to change things up a bit and came across the Keto stickies. Am I a good candidate? I want to get down to 185 or so while maintaining my muscle mass - hopefully gaining more.

I do have a few questions too...

1) Can you eat dairy?
    2) I saw some post back and forth...carbs post workout ok with whey?
    3) Do calories matter or just grams of protein/carbs/fat?

Thanks for any help and/or recommendations. I am going to keep going through the stickies!!!
    Cutting
    1800 Calories (Clean) with 1 Gallon Water
    Max OT Training 5X/Week
    Spinning 3X/Week

Supplements
    Whey, Super Pump Max, multi-vitamins, Fish Oil,

Heaviest Weight: 229lbs (much higher BF%)
    2/22/13: 200.3lbs
    Short-term goal: 185lbs by 6/15/13
    Long-term goal: 175lbs by 8/12/13

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1) Can you eat dairy?
    yes

Many feel they are helpful post w/o on keto. I do not. I don't even use them any more even when not cutting. Prefer WPI or BCAA during/post.

Yes, of course calories matter.

Is it for you? Only one way to find out.

Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think that the higher your bodyfat is, the more benefit you can reap from a ketogenic diet.

You can eat cheddar cheese, cream cheese, heavy cream, sour cream. That's about the closest to diary you get on keto.

Some forms of keto utilize carbs after a workout. That's TKD. CKD is usually better for weightloss, but there's no carbs during the week.

Calories always matter.
    You cannot make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position you can make a crowd of men.
    -Max Beerbohm

Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dalessandro12 View Post
    I was looking to change things up a bit and came across the Keto stickies. Am I a good candidate? I want to get down to 185 or so while maintaining my muscle mass - hopefully gaining more.
    Yea sure you can be a keto candidate, George W. Bush was a candidate for President, twice, oddly enough. You are at least as qualified to restrict carbs as he is to run a country.

I do have a few questions too...

1) Can you eat dairy?

Thanks for any help and/or recommendations. I am going to keep going through the stickies!!!
    1. yes, just not certain things like milk (well you could but only in small quantities, I usually don't bother).

2. yes. for lifting workouts, not cardio.

3. yes. calories only don't matter if you are an ecto trying to bulk with keto, in which case, have fun. Whatever happened to jaim?

dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dalessandro12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Doobie2270 View Post
    I think that the higher your bodyfat is, the more benefit you can reap from a ketogenic diet.

You can eat cheddar cheese, cream cheese, heavy cream, sour cream. That's about the closest to diary you get on keto.

Some forms of keto utilize carbs after a workout. That's TKD. CKD is usually better for weightloss, but there's no carbs during the week.

Calories always matter.
    Thanks for the replies (to all above). How do you calculate caloric intake needed? Also, will TKD help retain more lean muscle mass? I was a wrestler in high school and have always been fairly stocky, if I can eventually get the same results with TKD - maintaining more mass albiet at a slower pace - I would be ok with that.
    Cutting
    Max OT Training 5X/Week
    Spinning 3X/Week

Supplements

Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doobie2270 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Rugger7 View Post
    Yea sure you can be a keto candidate, George W. Bush was a candidate for President, twice, oddly enough. You are at least as qualified to restrict carbs as he is to run a country.

Whatever happened to jaim?
    First of all, LOL! Second of all, I miss her, too. She helped me get started. Also fueled my addiction to cream cheese.
    You cannot make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position you can make a crowd of men.
    -Max Beerbohm

jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Rugger7 View Post

i take back my rep, i want to give it to this.
    keto is for lovers.

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113568721

I think I am going to give it a try. Not sure about TKD or CKD, but will look into it a bit. Looking to start on Monday.

Two more outstanding questions....

1) Creatine ok to take?
    2) How do I calculate how many carbs I need during the load up phase?

Thanks
    Cutting
    Max OT Training 5X/Week
    Spinning 3X/Week

Supplements

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1) Creatine ok to take?
    Creatine is great if you respond well to it. Just keep in mind you'll hold a little extra water in your muscles on it, so your initial water loss won't be as impressive as some. (remember it's just water)

2) How do I calculate how many carbs I need during the load up phase?
    Lyle McDonald has some calculations over at his forum, as well there are some at c-k-d.com. Some people just invert their ratios @ their maintenance, just going from 30p/65f to 30p/65c, and then again some just go all out.

Some books to look into on this diet while you're researching that will be helpful are the Ketogenic Diet, Bodyopus, Game Over, and The Anabolic Diet.