GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000)

Carb-up before a PFT? Bad idea?

So Saturday morning I have to take the Marine Corps PFT and CFT (includes arm hang, crunches, 3 mile run, sprints, ammo can lifts, etc) so I'll need my strength. Problem is, I've been doing keto and seeing awesome results with no carb-ups. Carb-ups make me feel like **** and I'm afraid it might even hinder my performance.

Question: Should I have a clean carb-up meal on friday night and then eat keto on saturday morning before the test? Or should I eat a carby dinner and then a carb breakfast? Will that meal on Friday night make a big difference in my performance?

I'm not in the Marine Corps yet but my recruiter has me take the PFT now and again to monitor my progress. Just want to see what you all thought.
    domari nolo

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    IMHO:

A balanced meal for both dinner Friday night and breakfast Saturday morning. Both simple and complex carbs on Friday and then keep the carbs concentrated on complex carbs on Saturday morning to support your activities.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000) GoutDeMiel is just really nice. (+1000)
    thanks so much!
    domari nolo

LastSet is on a distinguished road. (+10) LastSet is on a distinguished road. (+10) LastSet is on a distinguished road. (+10) LastSet is on a distinguished road. (+10) LastSet is on a distinguished road. (+10) LastSet is on a distinguished road. (+10) LastSet is on a distinguished road. (+10) LastSet is on a distinguished road. (+10) LastSet is on a distinguished road. (+10) LastSet is on a distinguished road. (+10) LastSet is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would take just the amount of carbs that you think you may need for a slight energy boost, if they indeed give you energy.

At this point on keto carbs have the opposite effect for me. Sounds like from what you described they may have that effect on you as well.

Too many carbs and you're sure to be in the duldrums. If you're feeling good I wouldn't carb up at all but if you're sluggish I'd down some complex carbs like the other person recommended Friday night and Saturday morning.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by LastSet View Post

At this point on keto carbs have the opposite effect for me. Sounds like from what you described they may have that effect on you as well.

That's what I'm afriad of - I'm a keto noob (relatively) so I'm not sure exactly how my body responds to the ketones just yet. I've been feeling really good lately, but need the extra energy boost since my lifts and workouts have been suffering since starting keto (obviously).

I'll eat some complex and simple carbs on friday night and see how I feel. If I'm feeling ok then I'll have some more for breakfast. After that - back to keto and no carb-ups until the next PFT hahah I hate the idea of coming out of ketosis now - it's working so freaking well!
    domari nolo

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Atavis View Post
    IMHO:

A balanced meal for both dinner Friday night and breakfast Saturday morning. Both simple and complex carbs on Friday and then keep the carbs concentrated on complex carbs on Saturday morning to support your activities.
    ^^^ Very good advice here.

Maybe a very mild gatorade mix for during.

Personally, I would suggest some Xtend by Scivation for such events. I use it during training anyway... but, it has Citrulline Malate which is great for endurance. If I had any performance events I had to compete in or show progres in, I would do exactly what Atavis suggested + Xtend/Small amounts of Gatorade in water during.

devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The Night before the PFT I always had a big ass bowl of plain oat meal. In the morning id have some waxy maze and xtend drink bout an hour before it started. It seemed to give me all the energy I needed. A SGT in my unit would eat a large meat lovers pizza, sayin all the carbs and fat gave him energy. Im not bold enough to try such a thing, but he does have a 300 PFT.... Good luck and Semper Fi
    USMC 04-08
    Native Texan

Texas Longhorns-Texas Rangers-Dallas Cowboys-San Antonio Spurs-Alexis Texas

RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by devildogJMS View Post
    The Night before the PFT I always had a big ass bowl of plain oat meal. In the morning id have some waxy maze and xtend drink bout an hour before it started. It seemed to give me all the energy I needed. A SGT in my unit would eat a large meat lovers pizza, sayin all the carbs and fat gave him energy. Im not bold enough to try such a thing, but he does have a 300 PFT.... Good luck and Semper Fi
    Don't you hate it how the guys who smoke and eat pizza are the 300 PFT'ers? >=(
    Just going through the motions is one of the most disadvantageous things you can do.

Purecert is on a distinguished road. (+10) Purecert is on a distinguished road. (+10) Purecert is on a distinguished road. (+10) Purecert is on a distinguished road. (+10) Purecert is on a distinguished road. (+10) Purecert is on a distinguished road. (+10) Purecert is on a distinguished road. (+10) Purecert is on a distinguished road. (+10) Purecert is on a distinguished road. (+10) Purecert is on a distinguished road. (+10) Purecert is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would personally do a normal carb up 2 or 3 days before the PFT, and then go back to keto as per normal, that 2-4 day period post carb-up is generally the period I get my best workouts in

devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah I train may ass off for like a 275 and you got some marines who just eat pizza and drink a mountain dew before a PFT. And to make it worse he ran the 3 mile in 17:37 with a fat dip in his lip.
    USMC 04-08
    Native Texan

Texas Longhorns-Texas Rangers-Dallas Cowboys-San Antonio Spurs-Alexis Texas

Originally Posted by RandallH19891 View Post
    Don't you hate it how the guys who smoke and eat pizza are the 300 PFT'ers? >=(
    Yeah I hate that ****! Pisses me off...

Anyways thanks for your help guys! I had my PFT and CFT back to back this morning (what a bitch) and did fairly well. My 3 mile run went up almost a minute (but it was 24 degrees and a 20 mph wind was in my face the whole time) but all of the other events I dropped a lot of time or increased my numbers substantially since the beginning of December so I am elated!

Had me a big ass protein shake when I got home. You know it was a good day when you're caked in frozen mud, tore your underarmour, and can barely walk up the stairs!

Thanks again guys - this really is one of the most helpful sections of this site.
    domari nolo

Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skunk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I always ate a Double Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese on the day before the PFT. For some reason I always did better, haha.
    While you live, shine
    Don't suffer anything at all;
    Life exists only a short while
    And time demands its toll.

B - 255 lbs
    S - 355 lbs
    D - 405 lbs