huntstyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rep range or diet more important?

I've been lifting consistently now for about 2 years and while in the mirror I have seen progress, I have not gained any weight. I just moved and had to join a new gym, and with my membership had 1 free session with a trainer. This guy told me that to build mass I should be doing 10-15 reps instead of the 6-10 I was doing. He said the low reps are good for strength, but not so good for mass. I have always read to do lower reps and heavier weight to build mass. So which one is it?

That being said, I think in reality I could probably gain with either rep range, or some sort of combination to keep my muscles guessing if I just ate more. I'm a skinny guy (5'9 140lbs) with a high metabolism. I eat healthy now, but I used to be able to eat junk all the time and not gain any weight. I think the issue is just that I don't eat enough. I don't keep track, but if I were to estimate I'd say I only eat around 2,500 calories a day.

So should I really worry about the rep range so much, or just focus on eating more?

SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SledgeHammer01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You'll never gain any mass @ 5'9" / 140lb. You need to eat around 3500 calories per day, every day. With 1.5g / lb body weight of protein per day, every day.

As for reps, you should be aiming for reps in the range of 8 to 10 with 3 sets. If you can do 15 reps with good form, you aren't lifting heavy enough. Sounds like you need a new trainer though. The low / strength gaining reps are 3 to 5 not 6 to 10.

Diet is 85% of the whole thing.

If you have trouble gaining weight, get a weight gainer shake. They are a lot of sugar, but if you have a high metabolism, you should be ok.

+20lbs of gain should net you about an inch on the arms.

Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SledgeHammer01 View Post
    You need to eat around 3500 calories per day, every day.

As for reps, you should be aiming for reps in the range of 8 to 10 with 3 sets.

Diet is 85% of the whole thing.
    This

rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbtrout will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Diet is the key. Eat more. Lift hard and heavy.

Not to argue, but doing reps from 3-5, you can build size and strength. BUT, typically, 3-6 is the strength range, 6-10 is the size range and more than that is usually endurance.

For most, size and strength is what matters, so that's usually why 6-10 reps are suggested. You might decrease the number of exercises you do and add a few sets to the ones you keep and get the best of all worlds -
    2 sets 3-6 reps - heavy
    2 sets 8-10 reps 75% or so
    1-2 sets of 15 reps or minute sets or supersets, etc.

This will help with strength, size and endurance.
    Squat 'til you puke.

47 years old
    325# bench
    665# squat
    700# deadlift

JD_Johannes will become famous soon enough. (+50) JD_Johannes will become famous soon enough. (+50) JD_Johannes will become famous soon enough. (+50) JD_Johannes will become famous soon enough. (+50) JD_Johannes will become famous soon enough. (+50) JD_Johannes will become famous soon enough. (+50) JD_Johannes will become famous soon enough. (+50) JD_Johannes will become famous soon enough. (+50) JD_Johannes will become famous soon enough. (+50) JD_Johannes will become famous soon enough. (+50) JD_Johannes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've seen people with so many different variables it is hard to recommend a specific rep range or volume.

So, I'll be generic. Pick a routine, any routine. HIT, Max-OT, 5x5, whatever. They all work in their own way.

But here is the important part. Start bringing a notebook to the gym. Keep track of your lifts. Write down the weight used and reps. Gradually try to improve your lifts.

As for diet, shovel as much protein down your throat as you can.

In a few months the workout you picked may not work anymore. Your gains will taper off or stop. No problem.

Flip a coin. Heads you increase the workload with a few more sets or exercises, tails you decrease the workload.

Let it run for a while. If you start to improve again, you are getting closer to what works for you. If you regress, you know that was the wrong move and need to go in the opposite direction.

It will take months or even a year, but eventually you will start to find what works best specifically for you.

Keep at it!
    What what works for me, works me. It may or may not work for you.

I've been shot, stabbed, blown-up, then shot at and blown-up again. I credit my survival to God, randomness and an interesting workout program.

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The rep range does matter, but you need to work out consistantly for that to matter. At 140lbs you won't notice the difference as much, so you need to eat more on top of working out. Over time you'll see improvements.
    --- Nick ---

ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Diet is 75% the whole thing, everything (all of it)