Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50)

My program is working ! What I learned.

After several failed attempts at getting my life and fitness under control, I have finally achieved success.

I'm a week into my new program and its working. I'm getting my workouts in, I'm losing weight and toning up, I'm not hungry and I'm at peace with myself.

Yeah, its only a week, but its gone better than anything I've done before. I see no end in sight.

Here is what made it work this time.

1) I downloaded the Cronometer application and started entering all the foods I ate. (See my separate post on Cronometer. )

This is the first time I ever attempted accurate calorie counting and wow, did I ever learn a lot. I'm now of the opinion that you cannot undertake any meaningful transformation without accurately monitoring your calorie consumption.

For those that might be scared that "calorie counting" is the first step on the road to daily starvation, I am happy to report that exactly the opposite happens. Once you start counting calories, you know exactly where you are all the time and thus you can eat without guilt and you can avoid being hungry and all the rest.

I've also found that I am much more inventive with foods once calories aren't free. My focus went from mindless consumption to maximizing the taste, satisfaction and nutrient procurement within my available calories.

It is very surprising to find out how many calories one can consume and still lose weight. I used BFFM to calculate my daily caloric needs and then deducted 20%. I'm eating about 2000 calories a day and I've lost 4 pounds in the last week in an even, stress free manner. It almost seems too easy.

2) I dug into "Feed the Fat, Burn the Muscle" and started actually doing the things its recommends. Setting goals, calorie counting, unlimited cardio without the fear of losing muscle mass, adhering to a slight calorie deficit, etc.

This book is my bible and the cornerstone of my program. I highly recommend it. It answers many of the questions that I see on the Losing Fat forums.

3) I weigh myself daily and record my BF via my scale. I record this information in Cronometer every day. I take a picture of myself every day in the same setting. I'll take skinfold measurements once a week or so and record them too.

I record all my workouts. Every day is important. I don't take any days off from record keeping. It keeps me focused.

4) I worked out 5 days in a row and got over the hump. With previous attempts, I would start out working 2 or 3 days a week, lightly, so I didn't overwork myself or burn out. But the problem with that was that it took too long to ramp up, to get involved, to see results. By the time the workouts gained intensity, I was bored.

This time I worked out 5 days straight. I threw myself into it. I didn't start out thinking I was going to do that, it just kind of happened because of scheduling and because my girlfriend is working out with me every second session and that is the way the workouts have gone. And its worked surprisingly well.

My workouts have been 5 minutes of warmups, 30 minutes of higher intensity treadmill running, 5 minutes of cool down and then miscellaneous stretching and/or weights.

My first workout was disheartening. I was sad and angry at myself for getting so out of shape in the last few months. I put in a good 30 minute session.

The next day I did weights. Nothing really strenuous. At this point I was still doing the "start slow, don't overdo it" methodology.

The 3rd day my gf wanted to do cardio again, so off I went. I had a good workout. At this point nothing was really sore. I was experiencing a couple ups and downs with my diet. I was a bit moody. But I was doing OK.

The next day my gf wanted to sneak in another cardio workout. I went, but I bonked badly at about 20 minutes into my run. I just carried on walking and running as much as I could. It was still a good workout. The reason I bonked on this one was because my meal plan got all messed up during the day. I started out clearly under nourished and it went downhill from there. If you are going to work out every day, you have to eat accordingly.

What I used to do clearly sabotaged my efforts. I would start doing my workouts while simultaneously cutting calories. I wasn't counting my calories so I never knew where I was and thus I was always either feeling guilty or eating the wrong foods or chronically under nourished. This left me really hungry and listless.

BFFM is extremely good at explaining all this. The best way to lose weight is to cut calories a bit, but get most of the calorie deficit from the workouts. I run on a treadmill that has a heart beat monitor and a calorie counter. My average heartrate on a workout is between 147 and 159 beats per minute. I'm burning 600 calories by the time my cool down is done. I'm eating roughly 2000 calories a day, less the 600 expended during the workout and my net caloric intake for the rest of the day is 1400 calories. The weight is melting off of me !

Last night was the surprise. I was supposed to do something with my gf last night, but she had a change of plans at the last minute. I didn't want to sit at home and I was feeling energetic, so I decided to visit the gym once again. I thought I was going to be taking it easy, but once I got going, I put in a hard workout. And enjoyed it !

Not only did I do a great 30 minutes on the treadmill, I did some good lifts afterwords. After 5 straight days of working out, I had more energy after running 3 miles on a treadmill than I did before I started a workout ! Something within me has changed.

I didn't bonk, because I had eaten well during the day. I'm now a firm believer in having to count calories to make this work. If you don't count calories its too easy to starve yourself (invoking the starvation reflex and/or becoming hungry all the time and listless) or overeating (which seems to make me just as listless and then frustrated because I am not losing weight !). There s a fine line between too many and not enough calories. I cannot leave this to my whims. I have to count calories to make this work.

Throughout all this, I haven't been any more tired or sore than I have been any other time I started. If I ever need to restart again, I'll do it by exercising every day for a significant period of time.

5) Sleep I'm a night owl and an early riser. I now make myself go to bed at 10-10:30 every night. I feel much better now that I am getting a proper amount of rest. Thus far I've been sleeping well at night. Probably better than I did before I was working out. If I feel tired, I try to sneak a 20 minute nap sometime between noon and dinner.

6) Working out at the gym. I have a half decent gym in my basement. By half decent, I mean that I have free weights, a good bench, a rack, a bike on a roller and a rowing machine. That is the good part.

The problem is that the basement is crowded and lonely and dark and uninspiring. When I go to the gym, its bright and cheery. I'm surrounded by people working out, getting in shape. I get to watch other people go through their sets and see if I can beat their weights or efforts. Its invigorating.

I'll keep my home gym to get in quickie workouts when I can't make it to the public gym. But the public gym will be the center of my activity.

7) Making time. I'm just making time to get this done. I'm going to be 42 in April. I applied for a life insurance policy and they found my health to be "average". I did not qualify for the "very healthy" premium reduction. That was a wakeup call. I need to do something about that.

BFFM says that it takes 21 days of doing something to make it a habit. My goal is to continue rigorously doing as I am for 2 more weeks and then reviewing my progress.

I could write a lot more. I'll stop for now. I'll update this periodically.

I hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by elmerfud; 01-20-2009 at 09:58 AM.
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113714551

What works for me:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113540031

Omron BF scale:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113691321

canadagirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the post. I am new at calorie counting and I agree it makes a world of difference. I always tried to hold off eating until I was absolutely famished and would just try to starve the fat off my body. The result was the diet lasting only a week or two, followed by days of binging and gaining everything back. I now count calories, eat every 3 hours, and hardly ever feel hungry. It feels amazing, I no longer associate food with guilt, and I always feel energetic! I love the workouts too. It's wonderful to finally find a healthy way to lose weight, and not feel like you're punishing your body in the process!

elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    *smile*

I know exactly what you mean. Counting calories = freedom and energy. Who woulda thunk it ?

jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    your bmr is 2053 and your eating 2000 cal.....your going to lose alot of muscle if you have any
    "I'm from Detroit, we don't find anything charming"

"I'm not arrogant, I'm just intellectually pompous, because i'll conquer anything you accomplish"

"I lost the war........ but so did Germany and Japan, and their doing fine"

I'm monitoring my lean muscle mass every day. I plot it as a biomarker in Cronometer every day. I don't think I am losing any muscle and my lift weights are going up, not down.

You might want to read Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle.

Here is my calculation for my daily calorie requirements using the Katch/McArdle method:

I weigh 228 pounds.
    My bodyfat is 25%
    My lean body mass is 228 pounds x .75 = 171 pounds or 77.6 Kg
    My BMR = 370 + (21.6 x 77.6) = 2045 calories

For sedentary days (only desk work) my TDEE is 2045 x 1.2 = 2455 calories per day.

For lightly active days my TDEE is 2045 x 1.375 = 2811 calories per day.

For Moderately active days my TDEE is 2045 x 1.55 = 3169 calories per day.

According to BFFM, I should run a 20-25% calorie deficit.

2455 x .8 = 1964
    2455 x .75 = 1841
    2811 x .8 = 2248
    2811 x .75 = 2108

So the range is 1841 to 2248, depending on my day. I think I am in the ballpark shooting to consume 2000 calories a day.

Besides, I am feeling great.

If you are telling me that I need to eat a bit more and lose weight slower, I can handle that if it turns out to be the case.

Edit: I just checked your bio and you went from 231 -> 205. You've done this before. What did you set your calorie intake to be ?
    Last edited by elmerfud; 01-20-2009 at 12:43 PM.

jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jblue2124 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i'm just saying your going to lose alot of muscle eating at or below BMR you will loose fat and you will plateu and by being at too much of a deficit you can screw up your metab

i eat 2800, it all depends on person to person
    Last edited by jblue2124; 01-20-2009 at 01:02 PM.

"I'm not arrogant, I'm just intellectually pompous, because i'll conquer anything you accomplish"

You were a similar size and weight to me when you started. What did you set your daily caloric intake at and how active were you ?

i've been between 3200-2800 throughout the past however many months its been now but again everyone is different

on my workout days i run acouple miles and my off lift days i do hitt plus other cardio hr+
    Last edited by jblue2124; 01-20-2009 at 03:54 PM.

We must have different metabolisms. I work at a desk all day. I don't think I would lose any weight at 2800 - 3200 calories per day.

When I run, I am doing 3 miles on a treadmill that is varying between 1 and 7% incline. Its quite a work out. I suspect I am doing more cardio than you are.

In any event, I am happy with how things are going thus far. I'll continue to calculate and monitor my lean body mass every day and I'll report back here if something changes.

Originally Posted by elmerfud View Post
    We must have different metabolisms. I work at a desk all day. I don't think I would lose any weight at 2800 - 3200 calories per day.

When I run, I am doing 3 miles on a treadmill that is varying between 1 and 7% incline. Its quite a work out. I suspect I am doing more cardio than you are.

In any event, I am happy with how things are going thus far. I'll continue to calculate and monitor my lean body mass every day and I'll report back here if something changes.
    i didnt say eat 3200-2800 but eating below or at BMR is not good. you will be in starvation mode and kiss all your muscle goodbye if you have any that is...
    Last edited by jblue2124; 01-20-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Originally Posted by jblue2124 View Post
    i didnt say eat 3200-2800 but eating below or at BMR is not good. you will be in starvation mode
    This is handled in great detail in Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. I'm following that. So far everything is working well. If I continue to lose more than 2-3 pounds a week, I'll increase my calories. And if you notice, I am not cutting below my BMR. Go back and look at my numbers.

Originally Posted by elmerfud View Post
    This is handled in great detail in Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. I'm following that. So far everything is working well. If I continue to lose more than 2-3 pounds a week, I'll increase my calories. And if you notice, I am not cutting below my BMR. Go back and look at my numbers.
    you said your cutting with 2000 calories that below your BMR

I said:

It is very surprising to find out how many calories one can consume and still lose weight. I used BFFM to calculate my daily caloric needs and then deducted 20%. I'm eating about 2000 calories a day and I've lost 4 pounds in the last week in an even, stress free manner. It almost seems too easy.
    My BMR calculation is as follows using the Katch/McArdle method:

I weigh 228 pounds.
    My bodyfat is 25%
    My lean body mass is 228 pounds x .75 = 171 pounds or 77.6 Kg
    My BMR = 370 + (21.6 x 77.6) = 2045 calories

So I am at my BMR. Its OK to be there, just not under it. If I invoke a starvation response, I'll increase my calories or do a zig zag routine. Its all in Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle.

My program is still working, tremendously well, in fact.

I'm still eating between 1900 and 2100 calories per day. I'm still running off ~600 cals per day. I'm down 6 pounds now.

I've been monitoring my lean muscle mass via my BF scale and calipers when I don't trust it. I was up 2 pounds of lean body mass until this weekend. I was losing weight a bit too quickly and I'm pretty much back to even when I started.

The weight loss has been effortless thus far. I could continue this forever.

I'm now down 7 pounds.

The log is here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=113714551

My program is still working, very well at that. I'm losing weight, I'm building muscle and I'm losing body fat. I feel great.

Check out my log here:

danomite01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    kudos on the weight loss. I'm a big fan of the BFFM program myself. I just started using the program this January, but I've been dieting for 18 months. I am going to finish my first 12 weeks on this progam and then try a cycle of a gain phase.
    You loosers really need to learn how to spell.

broncobuddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) broncobuddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) broncobuddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) broncobuddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) broncobuddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) broncobuddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) broncobuddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) broncobuddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) broncobuddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) broncobuddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) broncobuddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've read the book and it's got a lot of great information. Tom's a pretty motivational guy.

Congrats on your progress and really getting into your workout. However, just as in the book, I'd increase your cals to where you're only losing about 2lbs a week instead of 4. That should insure you're not losing muscle.

Thanks guys.

I'd increase your cals to where you're only losing about 2lbs a week instead of 4.
    I think that is about where I am now. I've averaged about that over the past 4 weeks, although I had to relose a few pounds I gained while I was on the road.

As you can see from my charts, I am watching my lean body mass pretty closely.

I have more to share on what is working, but I don't have time to stop and write it out. I've discovered a bunch of good recipes that are very healthy and tasty.
    Last edited by elmerfud; 02-12-2009 at 01:40 PM.

What works for me:

Omron BF scale:

Registered User trance__dreamer's Avatar
    trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Smile

nice log. =)

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Wink

A sincere congrats on your accomplishment!! I preach the principles of BFFM to my clients. It is by far the best fat loss book out there. Keep an eye on maintaining your muscles. Well, I'm preaching to the choir. Congrats and keep at it!! We wanna see pics as soon as you hit your goal
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have CRON-O-METER
    Its a simple and amazing program, if I had thought of it I could have written one myself. Anyway you just simply add your foods and add the info kcals/p/c/f and so on.

I use it everyday. I kept records of my last cut where I didnt lose much but thought my kcals where low. Using that program it turned out they where like 150 below maintenance. Now its 500/300 below...

Now things are sweet and spot on
    Q: My BMR has me at 2042. I should not drop below this TARGET ?right?
    My cutting log:
    -----------------------------------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=513460853#post513460853

RobbFix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RobbFix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RobbFix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RobbFix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RobbFix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RobbFix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RobbFix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RobbFix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RobbFix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RobbFix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RobbFix has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i didnt say eat 3200-2800 but eating below or at BMR is not good. you will be in starvation mode and kiss all your muscle goodbye if you have any that is...
    This is a very broad generalization and not necessarily true.

I eat a constant -750 to -1000 BRM (cutting lifestyle) and cut hard at -1250 BMR for a month at a time.

I have consistently added or preserved lean body mass. Because of my own experience, I have to respectfully disagree with you.

badguy is not very well liked. (-100) badguy is not very well liked. (-100) badguy is not very well liked. (-100) badguy is not very well liked. (-100) badguy is not very well liked. (-100) badguy is not very well liked. (-100) badguy is not very well liked. (-100) badguy is not very well liked. (-100) badguy is not very well liked. (-100) badguy is not very well liked. (-100) badguy is not very well liked. (-100)
    like you said it's only been a week. Prob water weight

Im not hating just maybe if you hear the facts from someone else it could be different

Originally Posted by badguy View Post
    like you said it's only been a week. Prob water weight

Im not hating just maybe if you hear the facts from someone else it could be different
    I don't know who you are talking to, but I'm now on day 29. Everything is totally working. Check out my log here for more info.

What works for me:

Omron BF scale:

Originally Posted by RobbFix View Post
    This is a very broad generalization and not necessarily true.

I eat a constant -750 to -1000 BRM (cutting lifestyle) and cut hard at -1250 BMR for a month at a time.

I have consistently added or preserved lean body mass. Because of my own experience, I have to respectfully disagree with you.
    I have to agree that one might be able to eat at or below their BMR and either retain or build muscle mass... IF you eat right and IF you exercise properly. After all, I have been doing it. Check out my log. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=113714551

What works for me:

Omron BF scale:

Originally Posted by BigBoyAdd View Post
    I have CRON-O-METER
    Its a simple and amazing program, if I had thought of it I could have written one myself. Anyway you just simply add your foods and add the info kcals/p/c/f and so on.
    I know ! It works so great. And its free !

I use it everyday. I kept records of my last cut where I didnt lose much but thought my kcals where low. Using that program it turned out they where like 150 below maintenance. Now its 500/300 below...

Now things are sweet and spot on
    Its a delicate balancing act. Once you get your food balanced with the exercise, its almost easy. Getting the balance figured out is what is hard. I NEVER could have done this without Cronometer and a gym membership.

Q: My BMR has me at 2042. I should not drop below this TARGET ?right?
    I calculated my BMR using the above equation and my OMRON scale measures something similar. So that is the number I am using for my daily intake. It seems to work well. Not much hunger and > 2 pounds of loss per week while retaining or building muscle. My cardio is 650-750 calories on a treadmill, almost daily.

I added a couple diet views to my log if you want to see what is working for me diet wise.

Thanks for the encouragement Norwich and Trance !

What works for me:

Omron BF scale:

I'm getting PMs asking me questions... time for a summary.

Essential equipment for weight loss:

1) One or more body fat scales. I'm using a Tanita and an Omron. Its nice having 2 because then you aren't second guessing the readings. When they both go up or down, you know that something changed.

2) The BFFM manual. 'nuff said.

3) Membership at a good gym. Good = enough treadmills so that you can get on, work out and get out. The treadmill should count calories and monitor heart rate. Good also means having a wide variety of weight equipment. I like a mixture of free and semi free weights and machines.

4) The Cronometer software. Add biomarkers for BF, muscle %, etc.

5) A good camera.

Method

1) Develop a high protein diet with a caloric intake of about your BMR. For me, that is about 2000 calories. Find foods that are healthy and you find tasty.

2) Work out just about every day. Burn off a bunch of calories doing cardio and then do some lifts. Working out every day makes it a habit. There is never a question of should I work out today. You just do. Every day. It takes 28 days to make something a habit. If you make it the first 28 days, you've got it made.

People say that working out every day is too much. For me, if my diet is right, its a piece of cake. I can remember a time when I couldn't run 5Ks on back to back days because my diet sucked so bad. Now that I have that worked out, I am running further and harder than I used to... every day. Its great.

3) Log everything in Cronometer so that you can see what works and what doesn't. This is essential. Its all in one place then. Your diet, your biomarkers, your exercise and your thoughts. Its great to go back and read what you did and how you felt. Over time, its a great feedback tool.

4) Use BFFM as your bible.

5) Take progress pictures of yourself frequently. For me, that is a couple times a week.

I have to say that the pictures are really inspirational. Here are 2 little examples of how.

For some reason I keep doubting that my scale (and calipers) are correct and that I am 23% body fat. Maybe its because I feel so great. But when I look at my pictures... yuck ! I totally see the fat. I can see a difference between 26% BF and 23% BF. I CAN'T WAIT to get to 20% BF. That is inspiration !

A year ago I weighed 217 pounds. Today I accidentally put some recent body shots in the folder with last year's shots. Compared to then, I have more muscle definition but I was thinner back then. Especially in my face, but all over. Its inspirational to see where I will be in a few weeks if I keep this up.

Maybe its just me, but pictures really help me match the image in my brain with what my body really looks like. I keep thinking that I will reach some plateau shortly, but my pictures suggest otherwise. I have a lot of weight to lose. I have another 13% bodyfat to lose. That is nearly 30 pounds ! Have you ever lifted a 30 pound backpack ? That is a lot of weight. I don't know if I have ever been 10% bodyfat in my life ! At an age of 42 years old, I could be the fittest I have ever been in my entire life ! How is that for excellence !

This has been quite a journey/ learning experience for me. I hope this helps someone. Cheers.
    Last edited by elmerfud; 02-12-2009 at 04:15 PM.

What works for me:

Omron BF scale:

Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000)
    your bmr is 2053 and your eating 2000 cal.....your going to lose alot of muscle if you have any
    I eat 2,500 calories, my BMR is 3,200. My protein is about 1.2g per pound. I've lost no muscle.

If his protein intake is at least 1:1 ratio to his weight, he could easily lose weight AND hold onto the muscle he has.

Originally Posted by Djin View Post
    I eat 2,500 calories, my BMR is 3,200. My protein is about 1.2g per pound. I've lost no muscle.

If his protein intake is at least 1:1 ratio to his weight, he could easily lose weight AND hold onto the muscle he has.
    I think people are getting their base metabolic rate mixed up with their daily metabolic rate. The later includes calories burned with exercise. My BMR is roughly 2000 calories by calculation and by the OMRON scale. It displays it every morning. My daily calorie expenditure is higher than this, maybe by as much as 1000 calories a day.

I have a very hard time getting more than 150 grams of protein a day taking in 2000 calories a day. For me to get 1 gram per lb @222 pounds at 2000 calories a day means I need foods with less than 10 calories per gram of protein. Its pretty hard to average that. Maybe I need to investigate this further.

What works for me:

Omron BF scale: