pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10) pHEnomIC is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Herniated disk, is powerlifting over?

I have been having lower back problems, reinjured it about 3 times about a month apart even after a full recovery. I got to a orthopedic surgeon and had an MRI today. We are meeting again to discuss treatment.

I have a moderate hernia in my lumbar spine.

I am still pretty mobile and think i will eventually heal, it helps having strong abs and back from lifting.

Has anyone else had a hernia and recovered or is it the end of my road? Im not too familiar with this type of injury.

cstufflebean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cstufflebean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cstufflebean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cstufflebean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cstufflebean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cstufflebean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cstufflebean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cstufflebean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cstufflebean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cstufflebean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cstufflebean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think you will be fine, I have 3 bulging disks in my lumbar spine and as long as I pay attention to what I am doing, and use strict form on everything from lifting to tying your shoes, you should get along okay.

I have had my spinal problems for about the last 20 years. I also have slight scoliosis and degenerative disc disease in my lumbar spine.

freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) freeride88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Elite powerlifters have all sorts of injuries. Tons of them have disc issues. It's not over unless you want it to be.
    APT Sponsored Strongman

Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by freeride88 View Post
    Elite powerlifters have all sorts of injuries. Tons of them have disc issues. It's not over unless you want it to be.
    This...but you need to be smart and patient.

I herniated L5-S1 just over two years ago. The first year, I just thought rest would let it heal, which it did, to a certain extent but I kept reinjuring it and suffering setbacks. I really made no progress that whole year. The second year, I started doing physical therapy and getting chiropractic adjustments. That helped tremendously, probably got me to around 85% - to the point where I was PRing again. I was able to do everything but pull from the floor as of about 10 weeks ago. Additional stability/mobility work through Eric Cressey has me feeling good DLing again and I plan to PR that in the next several weeks. I am not 100% and will probably never be, but I am pain free, I can do any other activity (like play ball or ski, etc..) without worry, and I know how to manage it when it flares up. All of this will come with time.

Do your own research, go to people other than MDs, be ever mindful of maintaining proper form, don't get greedy in your lifts, and let it go slow and it'll work out.
    As I Lay Dying > Creatine

Most athletes should live and die in the squat rack. --Matt Reynolds

PLing/Getting Huge Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113315851

xnametheric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xnametheric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xnametheric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Competitive athletes who do not experience injuries are few and far between. I myself cannot seem to possibly injure myself lifting, the only injury I've ever had was a muscle strain while deadlifting when I first started out.

Then recently I strained the same area when I was riding my bike

There are many things you can do for a herniated disk.

I'd recommend finding a good acupuncturist/massage therapist. One way you can tell if the acupuncturist is good is if they prepare your nerves beforehand with massage/light exercise, and generally they will not actually stick needles into the pain site, rather into extremities like behind the knee, in the feet, in the hands, etc.

Taking anti-inflammatory supplements can also help. Cissus Quadrangularis is perhaps one of the best, since in addition to being an anti-inflammatory, it also has pain-relieving effects, but without the stomach pains often associated with aspirin and ibuprofen.

Grape seed extract and cordyceps are also very good anti-inflammatories.

Doing yoga is also very beneficial. Chiropractic can also offer relief.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by pHEnomIC View Post
    I have been having lower back problems, reinjured it about 3 times about a month apart even after a full recovery. I got to a orthopedic surgeon and had an MRI today. We are meeting again to discuss treatment.

I have a moderate hernia in my lumbar spine.

I am still pretty mobile and think i will eventually heal, it helps having strong abs and back from lifting.

Has anyone else had a hernia and recovered or is it the end of my road? Im not too familiar with this type of injury.
    You are 21, don't kill yourself over the next few months, but there is no need to quit altogether either. You have a long time to rack up injuries still, and you can still train, just be mindful of your injuries and if you are having an off day, don't push yourself.

alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    its definitely not over.. i herniated 3 discs in my back at age 16... i had to go through a LOT of physical therapy. it was a bitch and wasn't able to really start lifting heavy for a good 4-5 months, but it definitely not the end. i came back and i've gained over 100 pounds on my squat, about 80 pounds on my deadlift, and about 50 on my bench since all that happened.
    Anyone can be ripped at 160 pounds. It's not impressive, its called being skinny.

ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThomasAnthony is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is what the doc going to tell you (pretty sure), that at your age the disk are fairly fluid and they are much easier to work back into position through physical therapy (sometimes you can avoid surgery in this way). I wouldn't sweat it, just do what they say...
    Trying to become a big fat dynamos
    ezekiel 25:17
    I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000) tinyman5000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    whats it feel like when you get one

alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50) alucidinterval will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tinyman5000 View Post
    whats it feel like when you get one
    painful.... i had them in 3 spots up and down my back and it got to the point where i could hardly carry out everyday activities without being in extreme pain. i remember taking final exams my sophomore year and sitting in the same position for several hours at a time.... that was hell....
    Anyone can be ripped at 160 pounds. It's not impressive, its called being skinny.

Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Alpha Zulu is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ThomasAnthony View Post
    This is what the doc going to tell you (pretty sure), that at your age the disk are fairly fluid and they are much easier to work back into position through physical therapy (sometimes you can avoid surgery in this way). I wouldn't sweat it, just do what they say...
    He is also probably going to tell you to stop deadlifting and squatting forever. Mine did. Most doctors do not have a tolerance for lifting heavy. This is why I said consult outside of just MDs...especially look for people who have a sports background. My chiro used to have patients on the Atlanta Falcons and now treats athletes from some of the DC pro teams. I told him in my first consult I wanted to compete in PL and he never once told me to reconsider.
    As I Lay Dying > Creatine

Most athletes should live and die in the squat rack. --Matt Reynolds

PLing/Getting Huge Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113315851

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Alpha Zulu View Post
    He is also probably going to tell you to stop deadlifting and squatting forever. Mine did. Most doctors do not have a tolerance for lifting heavy. This is why I said consult outside of just MDs...especially look for people who have a sports background. My chiro used to have patients on the Atlanta Falcons and now treats athletes from some of the DC pro teams. I told him in my first consult I wanted to compete in PL and he never once told me to reconsider.
    or search around you could find an excellent sports medicine doctor like I did.

he looks at my lifting like this: "its your sport, and if you were a football player no one would tell you to lift light and to lose weight, they'd help you get bigger,stronger and faster...so that's how we'll approach powerlifting, and just make sure you're healthy as you gain weight and as you lift heavier."

its teh awesome.
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they change your username, so don't ask*
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they mass delete your post history, so don't ask*

BigBstrongman is just really nice. (+1000) BigBstrongman is just really nice. (+1000) BigBstrongman is just really nice. (+1000) BigBstrongman is just really nice. (+1000) BigBstrongman is just really nice. (+1000) BigBstrongman is just really nice. (+1000) BigBstrongman is just really nice. (+1000) BigBstrongman is just really nice. (+1000) BigBstrongman is just really nice. (+1000) BigBstrongman is just really nice. (+1000) BigBstrongman is just really nice. (+1000)
    inversion is your friend, and fixing any problems that caused it, very rarely are disc problems acute injuires, unless you were in a car accident and had extreme froces, its mostly a build up of bad posture and not using good form for a long time and finally it pops.

Hang upside down like a bat and work on your hip mobility, focus on fixing any postural problems. Doctors make them seem worse then it really is. That is because a majority of the population is fat out of shape and even physical thearpy wont fix it in that population.

mikeledowsky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Recent recipient of an L5/S1 discectomy

A herniated disc never actually heals, you can manage the pain but its never the same.

My surgery was May 1st and I feel amazing (in comparison to before surgery) but still don't feel and won't ever feel like I did before I injured my spine.

Has anyone with lumbar disc problems done Cross-Fit or continues to adhere to strict Olympic lifts post surgery or injury?

I want to Olympic lift again but a, fearful of re-injuring my spine...

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've got like 15 moderate herniations. Do what I did and buy a reverse hyper.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I herniated 2 discs a year ago. I never had surgery and I'm doing pretty darn good finally. It's been a long road but I'm getting better. I have bad days/weeks but overall I'm winning.