tlovesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Timeline from beginner to contest?

Hi,
    I'm just getting started with weight training. Well, I did take a class in college, but that's been more years ago than I care to discuss lol.
    Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of eventually entering a competition and was just wondering realistically how long it takes to go from beginner to being contest ready? Also, can anyone recommend an article that gives a good description of what to expect?
    Thanks in advance,
    Teresa

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Everyone is different. I know a couple people that trained 1 year and did well in a show. I on the other hand have been training many years and still have issues. All I can say is to give it your all and try.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tlovesb View Post
    Hi,
    I'm just getting started with weight training. Well, I did take a class in college, but that's been more years ago than I care to discuss lol.
    Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of eventually entering a competition and was just wondering realistically how long it takes to go from beginner to being contest ready? Also, can anyone recommend an article that gives a good description of what to expect?
    Thanks in advance,
    Teresa

People who compete do not toy with ideas. They make them happen. Do yourself a favor and work towards getting yourself in the best shape of your life. Then consider standing on stage. It's a long hard road conquered one day at a time. Props to you for having high goals. I'd like to see you stick around long enough to make initial gains and you can address the future one day at a time. Too many people underestimate the amount of hard work and discipline it takes to build a foundation on which one can build a physique necessary to compete. Build the best "you" you can. And build it for "you". Good luck with your journey.

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There is simply no way to answer that question.

But do give it your best shot!
    Was friends with Methuselah

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The only advice would be to hire a trainer. (someone with experience in getting clients ready for the stage) BB is a great sport, but the diet is the most important part...and will make you or break you come stage time. If you have little to no experience than you would absolutely need a trainer.

Welcome and best of luck with your goals!!

SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    These are my my observations. I have never competed, would like too, want to and will, but need several more years before I will be ready. The first and most important consideration is your genetics. I have seen guys who have never touched a weight in their life who are huge with great symmetry and balance who only need to diet down and bam they look great. Others, like myself, need years and years of hard lifting and eating to bust their body to the lowest point of acceptability. So ultimately it is a genetic issue. Everybody trains hard and smart that wants it. But even if you have the genetics you will not succeed unless you also have patience, positive attitude, desire, commitment, determination, consistency, and a good training plan.
    UP the IRONS!

Pretty Hardcore is a name known to all. (+5000) Pretty Hardcore is a name known to all. (+5000) Pretty Hardcore is a name known to all. (+5000) Pretty Hardcore is a name known to all. (+5000) Pretty Hardcore is a name known to all. (+5000) Pretty Hardcore is a name known to all. (+5000) Pretty Hardcore is a name known to all. (+5000) Pretty Hardcore is a name known to all. (+5000) Pretty Hardcore is a name known to all. (+5000) Pretty Hardcore is a name known to all. (+5000) Pretty Hardcore is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tlovesb View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks in advance,
    Teresa
    Are you considering a figure or bodybuilding competition? I did my first figure competition after only about 12 months of training. I was talking to the promoter of the show and somehow found myself on stage 6 weeks later. LOL, it was great experience and I learned so much about myself.

Here is a great article on figure contest prep.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/alissa26.htm

partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If I had to put a rule of thumb on this for someone who hasn't lifted much until now, I'd say:

Figure (women) --- 2 years+ of training
    Bodybuilding (men or women) --- 4 years+ of training

This is just a general observation based on how long it takes to build up some muscles and also on how long it takes folks when they diet down for shows.

There is a lot more time spent lifting heavy and bulking up with bodybuilding than with figure. There's a big genetic component, too. Also, the time you would need depends on what percent of bodyfat you're starting out at.

A lot of this is genetic, as the other folks mentioned. Right now, if you want to compete, you don't really need to decide exactly how/when to compete except to set a target season/year, like "summer 2011." Maybe save a little bit of money each month - it would really help to hire a trainer during the last 6 months before a contest!!

Stick around! There's lots of useful info here.

Enjoy those wonderful newbie gains where your lifts go up every workout!!
    investigating mechanics of pulleys, levers, and mass.

BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    <<< has nothing worthy to contribute to this thread....just digs Fit's avatar
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"