amateur777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

doing just pushups, pullups and situps?

Hi,
    As of now I dont have access to the gym. I do have one dumbell that is adjustable up to 20kg. I want to improve upper body muscular strength and endurance to help my game (i play tennis). Also a big part is to reduce my chance of injury and to balance out all my muscles (strengthen the weak muscles and basically my whole left side lol) I plan on doing the navy seal training program:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/c...g/a/012204.htm

the first 9 weeks focus on pullups, pushups and situps. and the last 9 weeks on the same including dips. I want to start off with a program using bodyweight exercises and then use weights after i reach a plateau. I am wondering whether doing just pushups, pullups and dips in the ratio of the seal program will cause any muscular imbalances? if so, are there any exercises (preferably bodyweight or those that can be done with a single dumbell) for the neglected muscles?

With the situps, I will also probably do equal number of lying back extensions and mix in other ab exercises to work the obliques etc.

My lower body compared to my upper body is quite conditioned as I have always been doing bodyweight exercises (squats, lunges etc) whereas i rarely do upper body exercises. i do quite a bit of running, flat and uphill and bodyweight squats, calf raises etc (i dont really feel much of a workout anymore with just my bodyweight) and i also do an isometric exercise where you simply sit in the air and try to hold it for as long as possible. Should i really try and invest in more weights or a gym membership or is the uphill running and sprints enough for tennis?

thanks

Mesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mesto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    may i suggest turkish get ups.

works the right and left side individually.

Squat jumps, and upper-body shuttle (google this)

Oh Yes I rep back :)

DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First and most importantly, I would suggest you stay away from doing dips if you are training for tennis. It puts too much stress on the shoulder girdle, stress that can too much considering the fact that the shoulder girdle is placed under tremendous stress from tennis itself (especially serving).

Pushups, pullups and situps by themselves are fine. However, if you have the time, I suggest you do the following as well:

1) Inverted rows - SEALs do this to balance out pushups
    2) Unless you intend to join the military/police force, doing only situps for sports is not the ideal way to prepare yourself. Reduce the amount of situps, add in things like reverse crunches, planks and side planks.

While you did not mention you will be doing the running program, here's what I have to say based on my experience when I was playing tennis at a fairly high level. Long, steady state jogging (i.e. 30 mins jogging at a steady pace) is frankly, quite a waste of time if you want to prepare yourself for tennis, and I learned that the hard way. Stick to interval training instead.
    Loneliness knows me by name

thanks for the quick reply.
    i will do inverted rows and should i do overhead press to balance out the pullups too?
    and i dont plan on doing the running part...too much mileage. when i run, i usually do less distance but faster and i also do quite a bit of HIIT.
    should pushing to pulling repetitions be equal? for example, if i do 3x20 pushups should i do 3x20 inverted rows?

thanks alot

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by amateur777 View Post
    thanks for the quick reply.
    i will do inverted rows and should i do overhead press to balance out the pullups too?
    and i dont plan on doing the running part...too much mileage. when i run, i usually do less distance but faster and i also do quite a bit of HIIT.
    should pushing to pulling repetitions be equal? for example, if i do 3x20 pushups should i do 3x20 inverted rows?

thanks alot
    The advice from DasVaro is bang on.

Your push to pulls should be equal in volume. So yes to equal time for push ups to inverted rows and overhead presses to pull ups. Research the importance of strong stable scapular function for sports and healthy shoulders.

Planks and rotational med ball (or cable) work would be better suited to tennis.

Nothing wrong with the SEALS workout except that it is intended for a different purpose. The SEALS go into places and situations where they may not return So no thought is given to the safety of the shoulders for sports related work.
    Last edited by tonester; 01-14-2009 at 03:46 AM.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."

Infantry stylin on ya sIghtLines's Avatar
    sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Here take a look at this.
    This is an excerpt taken from a M&S DB/BB workout.
    This would be excersices you could do on your chest/back day.

Chest Dips or bench dip -- 4 X MAX (but like DesVaro said "I would suggest you stay away from doing dips if you are training for tennis")
    Deep Push ups (with hands on dumbbells) -- 4 X 12
    Dumbbell Flys -- 3 X 10
    Bent Over Barbell Row -- 4 X 10
    One Arm Dumbbell Row -- 4 X 10
    Upright Row -- 3 X 8

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...e-workout.html
    US Army Infantry Veteran
    Follow me

***Chicago Crew***

j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000)
    i also do an isometric exercise where you simply sit in the air and try to hold it for as long as possible.

^^^^like floating??haha
    there is no offseason

LaneFOCHS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your left side shouldnt be very much off from your right, because your body strives to be equal.

Anarkix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anarkix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anarkix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anarkix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anarkix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anarkix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anarkix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anarkix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anarkix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anarkix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anarkix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you're doing BW exercises there's no reason not to include leg work... I'd throw pistols at the very least.
    Aesthetics.
    Plyometrics.
    Kinesthetics.

My Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=114458011

hey guys,
    thanx for tht.
    with balancing out the pullups, should i do handstand presses(i think theyre called tht), where you go into the handstand position then lower urself and push yourself back up..(i assume theyre quite similar to overhead press but less range of motion and bodyweight is resistance). or should i just aim to increase the weight I can do for 3x10?

thanks