Jukeboxhero77 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jukeboxhero77 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jukeboxhero77 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jukeboxhero77 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jukeboxhero77 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jukeboxhero77 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jukeboxhero77 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jukeboxhero77 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jukeboxhero77 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jukeboxhero77 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jukeboxhero77 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Macro and Nutrition questions.

Hey Guys,
    A little about me. I’m a 40 yr old male and I've been working out periodically over the past 2-3 years. Usually this will be a 4-5 month spurt of me working out regularly (2-3 times a week--sometimes 4) and then eventually quitting due to sometimes legit (like a hernia or tendonitis in my left elbow) or just general laziness or insufficient motivation to get back on the horse.
    I’m not sure what I should have expected during the times I was working out, but I feel like I had relatively minor gains, compared to what I was hoping for (and I definitely fell short on my goals.
    For the past few months, I’ve been working out pretty regularly, and doing my best to track everything I eat and my log my workouts. I feel like I’m off to a good start, but I want to seek your guidance so I’m not just wasting time at the gym and not getting the results I want.
    My goal is a good balance of aesthetics and strength in lean, muscular physique
    So, here are my questions.

Macros/Nutrition

-Caloric Deficit or Surplus for Muscle gain?
    Some say you need a calorie deficit and others say you always need a surplus to gain muscle. Both of these theories seem to come from reliable sources (Athlean-x seems to support High protein diets with caloric deficit for example)

-Adjusting Calories/Macros based on exercise.
    I use Fitness Pal to input the food I eat and keep track of my Macros. It’s also linked to my Fitbit step tracker and as I get more steps/exercise, it increases the amount of calories I can have. Right now, I have my Calorie goal set at 2k. If I get about 10k steps in a day, it will bump up the amount of calories I can consume by about 500, so to break even, I could consume 2,500 calories. Should I use this adjustment for my macros or just stick to pure numbers regardless of exercise?

-How important is body type to Macros (ie. Endo, Ecto, Meso)? It seems like I’m mostly Meso, but I’m not sure.

I will post pics later.

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Read the stickies at the top of this page. You will learn a lot from them and then you can ask more specific questions. As for body type, it has ZERO importance as they are just made up terms.
    “Other gyms use machines… CrossFit builds them”

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Read the stickies, specifically the one on macros. Stick to pure numbers regardless of exercise.

Athlean-x is great for many things but nutrition is not one of them (and I'm a big fan for what he is good for, not trying to diss him).