huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Uncooked Oatmeal Blended...

The title of this topic explains much of my question: Does uncooked oatmeal yield the same nutritional value, as cooked? I would like to blend uncooked oatmeal into a shake, but is it the same? Or should I cook it? :P

Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I found this real quick here http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-...ooked-2a.shtml

Effects of cooking on digestibility

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starch

It is known that starch gelatinization--a change of structure into a form that resembles gelatin--results from cooking at temperatures higher than 70?C (158?F), which improves digestibility [Holm et al. 1988, Lee et al. 1985]. Cooking also neutralizes the anti-amylases (in grains and seeds, and also some tubers).
    On the other hand, some resistant (indigestible) starch is formed by cooking. Resistant starch is present [Englyst 1985] in smaller amounts in (dehulled, rolled, steamed) oats than in cornflakes or white bread. However, about 94% of the carbohydrates are digested. Uncooked oats don't contain resistant starch, so their starch is totally digestible if left long enough in test tubes, but in practical terms it is less digestible than in cooked form. (Any reader not convinced of that should try two comparison meals for themselves, both consisting of 200 grams of oats, one raw and the other cooked.)

Experimental results show cooked starch to be 2 to 12 times more digestible than raw starch. Kataria and Chauhan [1988] provide a direct comparison of starch digestibility in raw vs. cooked mung beans. Here, starch digestibility was measured in milligrams (mg) of maltose released per gram of food. The data from this study indicate that digestion of mung beans soaked 12 hours yields 25.3 mg maltose/gm, mung beans sprouted 24 hours yield 75.0, mung beans soaked and subjected to ordinary cooking yield 138, while mung beans soaked and pressure-cooked (for 5 minutes) yield 305 [Kataria and Chauhan 1988, Tables 1-3, pp. 54-56]. This is solid evidence that the starch in cooked mung beans is much more readily digested than the starch in soaked or sprouted beans, by a factor ranging from about 1.8 (i.e., 138 ? 75.0) to 12 times more efficient (305 ? 25.3), depending on differences in methods of preparing raw vs. cooked starch. We thus conclude here that overall, certainly at least in the case of mung beans, cooking greatly improves starch digestibility.

One final point regarding starch digestion needs discussion. Some raw advocates claim that their ability to digest raw starch increases when raw starches are a regular part of the diet. This assertion is based on close examination by the raw vegan of his/her stools (fecal matter; a topic of intense interest for some rawists). While there are reasons to believe that the human digestive system adapts, to a certain degree, to the diet eaten, it appears that there are no studies or experiments to quantify the degree of adaptation in comparisons of raw vs. cooked starch digestion. Furthermore, the limited qualitative anecdotal evidence available does not support a claim that the human digestive system can become 1.8 to as much as 12 times more effective in digesting raw starch--i.e., the magnitude of the effect seen from cooking of mung beans, as seen in the above-cited research.

Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    also: http://www.drgourmet.com/askdrgourme...-oatmeal.shtml

Dear Dr. Gourmet,
    I have been making my own granola recently and enjoy it for breakfast with yogurt and fresh fruit. My question is: do I get the same health/nutritional benefits from eating the oats in the form of granola as I do from eating them as cooked oatmeal? I find your column informative and enjoyable! Thanks for considering the question.

Q: Dr. Gourmet Says...
    It appears that there is not a great deal of difference in cooked vs. uncooked oats. Cooking foods does cause the loss of some vitamins and minerals. Consequently, if there is any difference at all the raw oats that you use as part of your granola could have more vitamins.

It's a great idea to make your own granola. Many of the granolas that are on the market are often very high in fats.

Thanks for your interesting question and your nice comments about the Dr. Gourmet website.

Thanks for writing,

Dr. Gourmet

m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    "Uncooked oats don't contain resistant starch, so their starch is totally digestible if left long enough in test tubes, but in practical terms it is less digestible than in cooked form."

Guess that sort-of answers the question... I don't see any major difference personally, though. I don't care for the gelatinous consistency of cooked oats and so I always eat them raw. Usually let them soak in the fridge overnight, then eat them cold. My stomach (test tube?) seems to digest them just fine and I'm typically hungry an hour after eating them.
    John McCain:
    "You know, I think you may have noticed that Senator Obama's supporters have been saying some pretty nasty things about Western Pennsylvania lately. And you know, I couldn't agree with them more. I couldn't disagree with you. I couldn't agree with you more than the fact that Western Pennsylvania is the most patriotic, most god-loving, most, most patriotic part of America, and this is a great part of the country."

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I'll occasionally dump some into my protein shake. I just put them in raw.

BTW, good links, Todd. Thanks!
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) huu has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks guys.

Thank you Todd for links

Repped, even though I don't have much rep power to begin with :P
    Last edited by huu; 01-09-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I always put two scoops in my protein shake I just use the protein scoop
    O35 5'8" Crew

mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50) mofitness4u will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I also sometimes dump in the ol' protein drink. Have trouble choking down the cooked kind unless the wife cooks it with her concoction of raisins,cranberries and apples with a sprinkling of brown sugar baby!

Space_Lord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Space_Lord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Space_Lord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Space_Lord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Space_Lord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Space_Lord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Space_Lord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Space_Lord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Space_Lord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Space_Lord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Space_Lord is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just add them raw to my shake also.
    Alcoholism is the only disease that you can get yelled at for having.

partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Talking

You've gotten me to confess!

Take a Quaker Oats (Old Fashioned) container. Throw in a scoop from protein. Throw in some whey - maybe 1/5 or less whey to 4/5 oats. The whey is sort of at the top - add more when it's mostly gone.

Have water handy.

Eat/nibble.

It's good car food, except for spills.

I avoid sharing with occupants of stalled trailers. (#)

Originally Posted by m1k3g0rd View Post
    "Uncooked oats don't contain resistant starch, so their starch is totally digestible if left long enough in test tubes, but in practical terms it is less digestible than in cooked form."

Guess that sort-of answers the question... I don't see any major difference personally, though. I don't care for the gelatinous consistency of cooked oats and so I always eat them raw. Usually let them soak in the fridge overnight, then eat them cold. My stomach (test tube?) seems to digest them just fine and I'm typically hungry an hour after eating them.

(#) = horses
    Last edited by partsRheavy; 01-09-2009 at 10:27 PM.
    investigating mechanics of pulleys, levers, and mass.