RedEnvy11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedEnvy11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need Help on Pullups and Dips

anyone know what i can do to increase my reps on these excercises?

i cant really do much more than 15 dips

and i cant really do more than 2 pull ups,

i'm 200 lbs and can bench about a 280...it's just that im weak in those particular areas

Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000)
    Keep doing them.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf The Grey

RAWN-PAWL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAWN-PAWL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAWN-PAWL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAWN-PAWL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAWN-PAWL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAWN-PAWL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAWN-PAWL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAWN-PAWL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAWN-PAWL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAWN-PAWL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAWN-PAWL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Trying doing some pull ups and dips.

j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000) j2thecup is just really nice. (+1000)
    only way ive heard of increasing pullups is doing pullups i know prolly not much help just do as many sets to failure as you can when you do them and eventually it should get easier
    there is no offseason

nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    bench means you've got good arms and chest

pullups test the back and arms

dips test arms, back, and chest

in short strengthen your back, and do dips and pullups. and push yourself to do one more each time. that's we get better at everything to keep doing it.
    Champions are not born. They are built.

You wondered if all the pain and sacrifice is worth it...now you know.

Gold medals aren't made of gold. Not really. They're made of sweat, dedication, and a hard to find alloy called guts.

Everybody wants to win. But not everybody is willing to do what it takes.

SamFradsham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you have a chair, place it under the pull up bar and rest your shins on it. Do as many pull ups as you can then you can use the chair to give you an extra push. Kind of hard to explain, easier to demonstrate.

You can do the same for dips.

Billster is just really nice. (+1000) Billster is just really nice. (+1000) Billster is just really nice. (+1000) Billster is just really nice. (+1000) Billster is just really nice. (+1000) Billster is just really nice. (+1000) Billster is just really nice. (+1000) Billster is just really nice. (+1000) Billster is just really nice. (+1000) Billster is just really nice. (+1000) Billster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by nightrain36 View Post
    bench means you've got good arms and chest

pullups test the back and arms

dips test arms, back, and chest

in short strengthen your back, and do dips and pullups. and push yourself to do one more each time. that's we get better at everything to keep doing it.
    how do dips work your back?........

and OP start strapping weight to yourself for the dip

and for pull ups, try using the assist machine, and progressively use less assistance, u'll do 20 bw-pull ups in no time

Ian33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Billster View Post
    how do dips work your back?........

and OP start strapping weight to yourself for the dip

and for pull ups, try using the assist machine, and progressively use less assistance, u'll do 20 bw-pull ups in no time
    It depends on what kind of dips you are talking about. There are tricep dips and chest dips.

matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by RedEnvy11 View Post

i'm 200 lbs and can bench about a 280...it's just that im weak in those particular areas
    ive done these and heard its the best way to get better at pull ups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TindOf7zyXM

idk about dips. i would think to get better just keep doing them

swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In my opinon, try and stay away from the assist machines and the band in the video posted above. One misstep or loss of attention and POW...your face is busted. Saw a woman have to get carried out of the gym, bleeding everywhere, after the platform on the assist machine popped her in the face.

The best things I can suggest doing are:
    1) Stay consistent. If you can do 2 on Monday, try for 3 on Thursday. Then try for 4 the next week. It'll come.

2) Use the pull*down* machines with the handle grips similar to the pull-ups you're trying to improve. Try a low rep scheme, like 4 sets of 6 reps. Once you get the target reps with a given weight, slap five more pounds on there the next time you work out. Narrow that gap between your bodyweight and the weight you just completed.

3)Use 'Negatives.' If you reach failure after only a couple reps, maybe pull some boxes or a bench over underneath the bar and jump up so you're in the top position of the movement (chin above the bar) and lower yourself to the bottom position as slow as you can manage (3-5 seconds is usually a good count) for a few extra reps.

Now this next tip is assuming you're using correct form and tecnique (no swinging, no kicking legs, focusing the pulling power on your back and not your biceps) in your reps.
    4) If, on that last rep, you're almost up, but can't quite get to the top...go ahead and cheat a bit. That one kick and little burst of effort may make the difference and get you up that one last time. While it doesn't necessarily make you better, the confidence it can keep you from losing may help keep you focused. Just don't make a habit of it.

If I missed anything, please feel free to call me on it and rub it in my face. kthxbai!

RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    When I was strictly trying to do more pull-ups, this increased mine from 8 to 13 in a few weeks: http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyat...%20Program.htm
    Just going through the motions is one of the most disadvantageous things you can do.

WheresYerHeadAt will become famous soon enough. (+50) WheresYerHeadAt will become famous soon enough. (+50) WheresYerHeadAt will become famous soon enough. (+50) WheresYerHeadAt will become famous soon enough. (+50) WheresYerHeadAt will become famous soon enough. (+50) WheresYerHeadAt will become famous soon enough. (+50) WheresYerHeadAt will become famous soon enough. (+50) WheresYerHeadAt will become famous soon enough. (+50) WheresYerHeadAt will become famous soon enough. (+50) WheresYerHeadAt will become famous soon enough. (+50) WheresYerHeadAt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can try using the gravitron and just lowering the assistant weight as you get stronger.

For pullups, you can use the assitant bands as well (works kind of like gravitron)

It also helps to do kipping pullups if you cant do deadhangs yet, it helps with the motion and strength development and gives you a boost from the momentum

Other things to consider are:

1) jumping pullups with slow negatives
    2) bench pullups (set a bench at incline, keep one leg on it and pull your weight up)

matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by swolepatrole View Post
    In my opinon, try and stay away from the assist machines and the band in the video posted above. One misstep or loss of attention and POW...your face is busted. Saw a woman have to get carried out of the gym, bleeding everywhere, after the platform on the assist machine popped her in the face.
    Lol you can say that about almost any lift. Try not to scare the OP from two really helpful exercises that are basically retard-proof.

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd like to stick something resembling an arrow in there and let it fly. How rad would that be?

Nup007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nup007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nup007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nup007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nup007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nup007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nup007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nup007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nup007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nup007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nup007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by RedEnvy11 View Post

i found an easier way to do it, by using your back muscles to pull you up and with dips. Do them in low amount of sets at first, when you get used to it, increase your reps bro.
    Sometimes you have to stand alone, to know that you can still stand. -Lazar Angelov

jhashey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhashey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhashey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhashey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhashey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhashey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhashey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhashey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhashey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhashey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jhashey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not being able to do pull-ups could be a number of weaknesses (don't worry, everyone has weaknesses). Could be grip, shoulder health, lats, etc.

Include exercises like recline rows, banded pull-ups as Jhawk posted, thick grip holds, towel holds, thick bar pulling work. Also vary your hand with and placement (chins, pulls, wide, narrow, etc). If you have access to bands, include pull a parts in your program, from different angles, for corrective shoulder and back work.

Being thicker front to back helps the bench as well.

15 dips isn't terrible, but again I'll point to shoulder health as a possible issue. Make sure you can work in a full range of motion without problem.

Hope that helps, good luck.
    J. Hashey, CSCS, Owner - Synergy Athletics

Website/Blog: www.synergy-athletics.com
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/jhashey
    EliteFts Article Contributor, Diesel Crew Forum Mod,
    Author -Bull Strength Training- www.bullstrength.com