Intension has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intension has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Intension has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should I get a trainer to show me how to squat / deadlift?

I've been going to the gym for quite a while and taught myself many of the exercises through reading books etc. I usually use a slow cadence and have never had any injuries. However I have avoided certain exercises that look somewhat injury prone even though they are probably the best such as squats, deadlifts, barbell rows.

Are they really as hard to perform as I have been told and will I need supervision whilst learning them or is it fine to read books like starting strength to teach me everything I need? Also what is a good weight to start with on these exercises and how fast should I start increasing the weight once the technique has been practised?

thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000)
    I'm pretty sure Rippetoe wouldn't have gone through the trouble of writing 62 pages detailing how to squat if he didn't think you could learn from a book.

Registered User zappaplayszappa's Avatar
    zappaplayszappa will become famous soon enough. (+50) zappaplayszappa will become famous soon enough. (+50) zappaplayszappa will become famous soon enough. (+50) zappaplayszappa will become famous soon enough. (+50) zappaplayszappa will become famous soon enough. (+50) zappaplayszappa will become famous soon enough. (+50) zappaplayszappa will become famous soon enough. (+50) zappaplayszappa will become famous soon enough. (+50) zappaplayszappa will become famous soon enough. (+50) zappaplayszappa will become famous soon enough. (+50) zappaplayszappa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    its really not rocket science but do what you want.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Videos

Rhynosaurus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rhynosaurus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rhynosaurus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rhynosaurus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rhynosaurus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rhynosaurus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rhynosaurus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rhynosaurus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rhynosaurus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rhynosaurus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rhynosaurus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Most people that didnt do a strength training program in HS probably taught themselves how to DL and squat. I know I didnt. Its really not that difficult.
    And increase the weight when you feel you are ready.
    Practice the squatting movement with no bar, then try the bar, then add weight.
    Same with dl.
    I'm the guillotine waiting for the head that wears the crown

BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you have the money pay Rippetoe to show you.
    Rat **** bat **** dirty old twat. Sixty nine *******s tied in a knot. Hooray. Lizard ****. ****.

HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000) HamMach1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    They are fairly easy to learn. Squats more so than deadlifts though IMO. I'm still sharpening up my deadlift.
    But I heard you give your favorite producer
    head in trade for his creative juices.

USAF

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    buy th SS book, its a great resource to have. You will learn them by trial and error.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    read

watch videos

watch other people at the gym

ask people with good squat form for help

if you see a good trainer, ask them.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SDFlip View Post
    read

watch videos

watch other people at the gym

ask people with good squat form for help

if you see a good trainer, ask them.
    Time To Re-Schedule