Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    I used to sell mattresses for about 5 years.

The best ones are Simmons Beautyrest and Sealy Posturepedic, hands down.

You will hear alot about the memory foam ones, they are really a giant hot sponge that is very exopensive, save your money.

The same goes for sleep number beds, if you have ever slept on an air mattress then thats what it will feel like except it is fancier and costs alot more.

Here is how to get a good deal.

Start by going into a mattress store, not a furniture store. At mattress stores you can negotiate the price and your are pretty much expected to. I only rarely sold one at full price. Dont let the price tags fool you, those are for suckers.

Look at the Simmons beautyrests. They have individually pocketed coils and great warranties. They are very well made. The pocketed coils keep you from feeling your partner moving around. Thats the same as a memory foam would do but the memory foam gets very hot and you can get stuck in the foam as it molds around you. Momeory foam doesnt breath.

You will see other brands of pocketed coils but they are inferior in workmanship and materials.

Select one in the $1500 to $2000 price range for starters. They should have 3 feels, firm, which is rock hard, Plush, and Pillowtop.

The best one would most likely be the middle one. The big pillowtops look nice but they take away from the support system. If you have to have a pillow top then dont get the giant pillowtop, just something reasonable.

Now compare these to Sealy Posturepedic. They provide equal support but dont have pocketed coils. This is the type of mattress I have becasue i dont have a prtner to worry about.

Try a few mattress and thats it. Any more and you will start to get confused.

Now make your selection from the ones you tries. Here is where the negotiation will start.

Start by asking the salesman of they match prices. This will let him know that you are or have been shopping around and are looking for a deal. He will think you have been to other places even though you havent.

A couple things will happen. If he is weak then he will offer you a discount out of the blue. If he is good, he will just brush it off.

Now ask him if he can write this price on a card becasue you are going to check out some competitors. He should do this.

He will take you up to the deask, register area and write the number down and then start asking you some questions like how soon you need it or if you have ever considered a mismatched set, etc. This means he is wanting to make you a deal. He might ask if you can pick it up or need delivery, that sort of thing. let him go with this.

He should then offer you some sort of discount by using a drop story. I used to tell people that we had a set in the warehouse that was marked with an old sale price that we could honor. Even though its bs it sounds better than just giving a discount out of desperation.

Now remember you were looking at the 1500-2000$ price range. They are marked up at least 50% so you can buy these for 750-1000$ all day and they will be glad to sell them at that price. The more expensive the starting price the higher the markup is.

After they send you a strong signal that they are willing to drop the price you can just tell them that you will give him 750 out the door for it right now and be done with it if you feel comfortable doing that.

If someone told me that I would know the sale was over and I dont have anything left to do but take your money and go back to my newspaper when you left. Easy business.

They will offer you a mismatched set or no box or something like that. Tell them no, It has to be a matching set, that way there wont be any warranty concerns down the road. Delivery and removal have to be included as well.

If they dont budge then you will need to try another place and repeat the above.

I guarantee this will work.

Hope this helps.
    I'm always a day late and dollar short. Just bought a mattress last week. At least I got the Simmons beauty rest may have paid too much though. Great info thanks for the inside scoop/

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    I used to sell mattresses for about 5 years.

The best ones are Simmons Beautyrest and Sealy Posturepedic, hands down.

You will hear alot about the memory foam ones, they are really a giant hot sponge that is very exopensive, save your money.

The same goes for sleep number beds, if you have ever slept on an air mattress then thats what it will feel like except it is fancier and costs alot more.

Here is how to get a good deal.

Start by going into a mattress store, not a furniture store. At mattress stores you can negotiate the price and your are pretty much expected to. I only rarely sold one at full price. Dont let the price tags fool you, those are for suckers.

Look at the Simmons beautyrests. They have individually pocketed coils and great warranties. They are very well made. The pocketed coils keep you from feeling your partner moving around. Thats the same as a memory foam would do but the memory foam gets very hot and you can get stuck in the foam as it molds around you. Momeory foam doesnt breath.

You will see other brands of pocketed coils but they are inferior in workmanship and materials.

Select one in the $1500 to $2000 price range for starters. They should have 3 feels, firm, which is rock hard, Plush, and Pillowtop.

The best one would most likely be the middle one. The big pillowtops look nice but they take away from the support system. If you have to have a pillow top then dont get the giant pillowtop, just something reasonable.

Now compare these to Sealy Posturepedic. They provide equal support but dont have pocketed coils. This is the type of mattress I have becasue i dont have a prtner to worry about.

Try a few mattress and thats it. Any more and you will start to get confused.

Now make your selection from the ones you tries. Here is where the negotiation will start.

Start by asking the salesman of they match prices. This will let him know that you are or have been shopping around and are looking for a deal. He will think you have been to other places even though you havent.

A couple things will happen. If he is weak then he will offer you a discount out of the blue. If he is good, he will just brush it off.

Now ask him if he can write this price on a card becasue you are going to check out some competitors. He should do this.

He will take you up to the deask, register area and write the number down and then start asking you some questions like how soon you need it or if you have ever considered a mismatched set, etc. This means he is wanting to make you a deal. He might ask if you can pick it up or need delivery, that sort of thing. let him go with this.

He should then offer you some sort of discount by using a drop story. I used to tell people that we had a set in the warehouse that was marked with an old sale price that we could honor. Even though its bs it sounds better than just giving a discount out of desperation.

Now remember you were looking at the 1500-2000$ price range. They are marked up at least 50% so you can buy these for 750-1000$ all day and they will be glad to sell them at that price. The more expensive the starting price the higher the markup is.

After they send you a strong signal that they are willing to drop the price you can just tell them that you will give him 750 out the door for it right now and be done with it if you feel comfortable doing that.

If someone told me that I would know the sale was over and I dont have anything left to do but take your money and go back to my newspaper when you left. Easy business.

They will offer you a mismatched set or no box or something like that. Tell them no, It has to be a matching set, that way there wont be any warranty concerns down the road. Delivery and removal have to be included as well.

If they dont budge then you will need to try another place and repeat the above.

I guarantee this will work.

Hope this helps.
    I'm bumping this for people who have not seen it.

I went last night and followed this plan. Worked to a 'T'. We zeroed in on a 2000 mattress. Got it down to 1445, asked him to write me a quote. Left. Came back in 5 minutes and told him I talked it over with my wife and would buy it right now if he could do 1200. He made a phone call and then came back with 1245. Sold! Guy threw in a mattress cover as well.

Thanks Crupiea! Reps on sight (after recharge and spread).
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DnJnB View Post
    Crap! I needed this advice like 3 years ago... Payed full price like a sucker and now I got a bed that hurts me just as bad as the old one. Plus it's got a divot where I sleep and a divot where my wife sleeps and a firm hump in the middle. My wife only weigh's 125 pounds!!! How can this thing get a low spot? (I'm only 175, thx for asking)

ughhh
    Same problem. We even tried to get the prorated refund on our old mattress but you can't if there are any 'biological stains.' We laughed about that for a month.
    So we got a Sealy (I believe, it's been awhile) this latest time, sleeps okay but I'm fully expecting to have to get a new mattress every 5 years or so, they always 'divot' like that for us.
    Hebrews 12: 1,2
    https://peacewithgod.net

Basic Nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    We paid about $3,000 for a higher end Tempur-Pedic mattress 6 years ago. Best mattress we've ever had. Best consistent sleep I've ever had. It takes some getting used to when you first get one because it won't immediately conform to you. But wait about 10 seconds and it's heaven. One practical feature we enjoy is that if one of us gets into or out of bed the other isn't disturbed or bounced around.

I stay at 4 and 5 star hotels when traveling for fun and business and no matter how awesome the bed in my suite is, it never compares favorably against our Tempur-Pedic.

Sean

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had similar back aches when I woke up. We switched to a memory foam mattress and my back is happy.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

FFOGG will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFOGG will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFOGG will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFOGG will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFOGG will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFOGG will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFOGG will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFOGG will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFOGG will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFOGG will become famous soon enough. (+50) FFOGG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My Tempur Pedic is the best thing in my life

brb bulk-utting! nvrstopworking's Avatar
    nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) nvrstopworking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Glad that this was bumped! Some great info!

Best sleep I ever had was when I stayed in a Sheraton hotel that had this thing called a "Heavenly Bed". Don't know if that's the mattress type or what... but it was GOLDEN. I stayed in that bed for a solid 15hrs lol.

I'd love to find it (and buy it).

acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by nvrstopworking View Post
    Glad that this was bumped! Some great info!

Best sleep I ever had was when I stayed in a Sheraton hotel that had this thing called a "Heavenly Bed". Don't know if that's the mattress type or what... but it was GOLDEN. I stayed in that bed for a solid 15hrs lol.

I'd love to find it (and buy it).
    My Bob-o-pedic is an AWESOME bed... it's mybobs.com version of the Tempur Pedic; mainly because I couldn't afford the Tempur Pedic at the time.

Seriously, I fall asleep faster, I can sleep on my back (which I haven't been able to do since I was a kid) and I sleep through the entire night.... highly recommended!

My back issues were two herniated disks and one budged disk. I actually purchased the bob-o-pedic before I started working out again (October 2009) so it helped me tremendously prior to loosing 44 pounds and adding strength with weight lifting.
    Taught by Dr. Squat himself back in the late 90s

ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    ISSA Certified Sports Nutritionist

ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Physical therapist friend recommended Tempurpedic to me and I went with it. Yes very expensive (4K) but you do spend 1/3 of your life in BED.
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the ILLUSION of knowlegde! - Stephen Hawking

Tampa, FL
    NSCA CSCS, BS
    twitter @maxwellob

nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    High end, 8 layer king sized futon. It's the only thing I've ever tried that doesn't make my back sore. To be clear, this is not your college dorm futon. This thing cost about 1k. I tried everything else too. For some reason anything beyond 6-7 hours in a normal bed gives me lower back pain.

BMW1600 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMW1600 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMW1600 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMW1600 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMW1600 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMW1600 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMW1600 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMW1600 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMW1600 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMW1600 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BMW1600 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sleep Number.

I have had two back surgeries (laminectomy/discectomy), countless herniations and close calls, and I spent years sleeping no more than 5 hours or so before requiring a hot soak in the tub, etc.

Wife surprised me and bought the bed, I was furious but then slept on it. A few days later I got it adjusted right and I never looked back. Best investment ever.

Your Rep Power: 2,457,269 Tommy_Gunns's Avatar
    Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i have a queen sized simmons beautyrest. feelsgoodman

romesho is on a distinguished road. (+10) romesho is on a distinguished road. (+10) romesho is on a distinguished road. (+10) romesho is on a distinguished road. (+10) romesho is on a distinguished road. (+10) romesho is on a distinguished road. (+10) romesho is on a distinguished road. (+10) romesho is on a distinguished road. (+10) romesho is on a distinguished road. (+10) romesho is on a distinguished road. (+10) romesho is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My tempurpedic 12inch thick rhapsody mattress is the best investment I ever made!! Love it!! Worth every penny!!

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I use the sleep number bed, It's the best therapy for my back, you can set it from brick hard to pillow soft. I cant live without my Sleep number bed. also, it never needs to be replaced , you can get a replace men after 20 years if you want for free with their 20 year warranty.
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by newbie40 View Post
    I have had a sleep number bed for years and it seems to do the trick. I was in several car accidents and this actually helped with my back issues. I also have a Sealy (firm) in the guest room, so if I really need a change I have that as an option. Just try them out first, that is how you can tell.
    Originally Posted by Deborah_Lyn View Post
    Are they firm enough to roll to the side, slide legs to floor and push your torso off the bed? That's what I have to do when my back acts up.

I just have an image of a giant wave rolling to the other side and coming back! lol.
    Originally Posted by fvogel67 View Post
    I've had a sleep number bed for 2 yrs and I've never slept better.
    what they bought^^^
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

The Cake Is A Lie! StressMonkey's Avatar
    StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want to save $$$ you can try buying a memory foam mattress topper. Got one for a hundred bucks. OMG best money I ever spent. It's so freaking comfortable.
    There will come a day when I tire of listening to 80's music. That day is not today.

I Really Miss The Old BodySpace

-O35 5'8" Crew- -Karl_Hungus Crew-

matts1993 is not very well liked. (-100) matts1993 is not very well liked. (-100) matts1993 is not very well liked. (-100) matts1993 is not very well liked. (-100) matts1993 is not very well liked. (-100) matts1993 is not very well liked. (-100) matts1993 is not very well liked. (-100) matts1993 is not very well liked. (-100) matts1993 is not very well liked. (-100) matts1993 is not very well liked. (-100) matts1993 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Thanks for the advice on this thread.