Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)

How to Train Like a Bad Ass – Even with a Bad Back

An interesting article from t-nation.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ith_a_bad_back
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jtroster View Post
    An interesting article from t-nation.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ith_a_bad_back
    Cool article and repped for posting it!

Since I had two herniated disks and one bludged disk... I was interested in what the writer had to say.

I did stay away from deadlifts and standing calf raises for the first year but I've since included them in my routine. Although everyone is different I had performed all the other "don't do's" (below) including situps, trunk twists, leg presses, and the rest since I first started in October 2009. Of course I took it easy and didn't go like gang busters on those, I insured proper form and stopped if I felt any twinge in my lower back.

Originally Posted by www.t-nation.com
    Pain or having to slowly ratchet your way down would indicate a problem and would necessitate that you avoid doing certain things.

Don't Do:

Deadlifts, bent-over rows, and seated rows. I definitely love my deadlifts, but if a flexion intolerant spine flare-up happens, they can be the equivalent of checking for hemorroids with a cattle brand.

Sit-ups or any ab isolation movement that forces flexion without co-contraction of the low back muscles.

Spinal rotation movements, like twists and chopping movements.

Leg presses. You're forced into spinal flexion under load, so it's a no-go.

Standing calf raises and back squats. The direct compression on the discs can be uncomfortable and put even more pressure on the discs.
    Taught by Dr. Squat himself back in the late 90s

ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    ISSA Certified Sports Nutritionist

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Two of the main complaints in this forum are backs and shoulders. Now we need an article on how to train like a bad ass even with bad shoulders.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great article but one thing for me seems that spinal alignment was an isse and having a chiropractor/PT to help me was the final straw in my recovery.
    Also once you have beaten the "Bad Back/Shoulder Injury" you should continue with good therapy like foam rolling and stretching.
    I've been there with this (3 buldging lower dics) and now I squat more than what most people can only dream of. Supporting exercises a solid core (does not have to be a flat stomach) and stretching and foam rooling will get you there, plus knowing what your limit is.
    Good Luck!

Ski
    Weight Class: 242lbs

RAW
    Best Lifts - Gym | Meet (5/2010)
    =============================
    Squat.........585 | 625
    Bench.........385 | 380
    Dead..........550 | 570

Equipped
    810/610/570 (11/2011)