Registered User FearOwnReproach's Avatar
    FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Muscle Growth vs Lactic Acid "Pump"

I've been working out off and on for several years and am currently 19. I weigh roughly 180. I notice that when I stop working out for a week, perhaps due to a minor injury, I pretty much lose what looks like the bulk of my muscle mass. I don't stop eating. Also, it seems like my tendons/joints have taken a beating in comparison with the overall muscle growth that would otherwise support my increase in strength. I have gotten much stronger- I am able to deadlift over 400lbs, squat that, and bench press 250x4.
    The problem is that my shoulders are talking to me(bicep tendon inflamation/buritis).

I've heard that high reps build muscle too but it just seems like unless I constantly eat like a maniac and take care to rotate light and heavy workouts that I really end up getting no where in the long run. I guess I could rep out with lighter weight... anyone else have a catabolic body after 1 week of not working out or one that is otherwise full of lactic acid that makes your muscles look twice as big for several days beyond the workout?

It seems like in order to support these strength gains I must build muscle mass- otherwise my joints will just take more of a beating to some degree. It seems like unless I eat like a maniac I'm playing a game of lactic acid come and go where no real new muscle is created unless the calorie/sleep status is high not to mention that I'm a natural ectomorph.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'd also post this to the guys in the OV35 section

Yes, we all see loss of size with some time off. It's a real eye-opener to see how much muscle mass we really have. You also seem to be mixing size with strength. The two can go together, but if one is a priority over the other then you need to train accordingly.

No doubt being an ecto you have to eat, eat, and eat. To put on any muscle size you need to be over maintenance, which can be hard for ectos. You also need patience. Gaining substantial size takes years and years. I know many of the guys in the OV35 section felt that they gained better in their 30's and 40's. They can tell you, but I think it had a lot to do with better form, better training, and better diets.

Everyone needs a week out of the gym periodically. And if you're really going heavy, you will need a de-load week periodically on top of a rest week. Muscle, tendons, ligaments, and your CNS needs the break and rest.

Form is everything! If you haven't had someone check your form lately (who really knows what they're doing) now is the time. Before you inflict long term injury. If needed, get someone to video you and post it on youtube or elsewhere. Link it in a post and get some thoughts.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    you've been working out on and off for several years...you're only 19 what am i missing?

how many years have you been training consistently and how long have you been following the proper eating plan for your ecto bodytype?

you also say your 180...how tall are you?

Registered User FearOwnReproach's Avatar
    FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10) FearOwnReproach is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Training consistently probably only for around 3 months... lol
    I'm 5 11. I guess that I was just shocked that after a week of no bicep workouts my biceps were down to a third of their size of what they looked like the next day after a wkout. My wrists are not that big around, and so I've got some wrist issues(nerve pinching) from tricep work where the wrist bends (like skullcrushers). I'll go lighter and watch my form and stick to dips until they heal etc.

I guess I thought that I was killing myself in the gym for a reason until I took a week off...lol

Oh yeah- and I'm not a female so I don't know how it ended up here hahaha

I can still squat tho and grow a black man ass in the meanwhile I guess.
    Last edited by FearOwnReproach; 01-08-2009 at 09:39 AM.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah, consistent training for 3 months is a drop in the bucket. The good news is muscle memory is real. So as you do add lean body mass, and then have time off for whatever reason, it won't take as long to get the size/strength back as it did to get there in the first place.

You might want to add wrist curls and reverse wrist curls into your routine. They're great help for the wrists and forearms. Gloves with wrist straps can also help when working biceps. I use regular gloves the rest of the time.