DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Symptoms your carbs are too low?

What are some of them? I know being tired is one, but what are some others? I've been having body aches for a few days and I don't think I am getting sick...so I was wondering if my carbs are too low. I've been really busy over the holidays so I haven't been keeping track of anything, and while my diet has been super clean, I think my carbs have been too low. In fact, I am fairly confident they have been too low considering the only carbs I have been eating are veggies. Not even fruit or oatmeal. I mean, ONLY veggies. and not on purpose, just because I have been so busy and afraid of messing up that I've been eating more veggies because I know they are healthier options around the holidays. LOL.

Anyway, I just wanted to know what some symptoms are and also for future knowledge. I'm going to be training for a marathon and would like to know this for that as well. As with everyone else, I'm getting back on track for the New Year!

Thank you, everyone!

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've had that achey feeling too. Then noticed my carbs were around 100 for a few days. And here I thought it was just my muscles craving another workout

soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Many people also experience mood swings and general "moodiness". I tried no/low carb for about a month and became so angry and irritated, I couldn't stand myself. HAD to up my carbs or I was going to tear someone's head off! If you Google "low carb diet symptoms", you'll definitely find tons of info. Not that the peeps here aren't helpful! Also, you could check out the "Keto" thread.
    Live life, lift heavy and be happy..Oh! And BSavage too!
    ~Angimal

DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DumbMick317 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for replying ladies. I'm wondering this because today has been really bad with the achy feeling and I know everyone at my office is sick...yet I don't feel sick...but I do feel a little off, achy, lethargic. Almost like I was doing some type of detox! Haha. I'm drinking 1 1/2 gallons of water, so I have plenty of water in me and I am taking all my vitamins.

Either way, I do know I need to get back to counting and keeping track of macros...but I also wanted to know this for when I am training for a marathon. So I'd know when my body needed more carbs. This the first time attempting a marathon, and I've only dabbled with running on and off.

Thanks tho! I'll try a google!

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't see how anyone can train for a marathon on low carb. Granted, fats help, especially in ketosis, but for that kind of a sport I'd say it'd be a huge mistake. Once you start training, your meals need to be geared toward your goal. Trying to lose body fat or gain muscle at the same time will only screw you up. Back burner two, just focus on the marathon.

Sweetie, I didn't mean to confuse you. I'm not intentially doing low carb...I've just been too busy/lazy to keep track of my macros and scared of the holidays so I've been compensating by eating mainly veggies as my carbs because that has been the healthier option at parties, dinners, etc. Haha.

When I run, I know I need to increase my carbs and I totally do not have a problem doing this. I guess I am just wondering if I will have to constantly increase them as my body gets more used to running and I do longer runs and how to know if I need to increase them. I know when I need to increase my cals because I am tired all the time and have no energy. Last time I ran, when I was doing 90 minute runs before a foot fracture and bone problems I was eating like 2600 cals like nothing. If I had to guess, it was like 50% protein (usually 150-200 grams), 40% carbs, and as little fat as possible...my only fat source was CLA and OMEGA 3,6 9, pills. Every once in awhile my boyfriend would trick me and cook my food in olive oil. I just know that I gain VERY easily if I eat too much fat, healthy or not. LOL. The only differece between then and now is that I am trying to learn to pay more attention to my body and it's needs and I am actually training for a marathon and not just running just because.

I know I have the other thread going about the gal at the gym. I don't want to confuse you...she's doing the low-carb diet on purpose. Mine is just stupidity combined with being too busy! LOL.

Ah, gotcha. I've "accidentally" eaten too few carbs too. I would take the achey muscles as a sign to file away for future reference.

I am now concerned about your fat intake. 40g a day is a minimum. Zero fat is pretty harsh on the body. I'm on your boyfriend's side

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    the usual symptoms are feeling tired, feeling weak, clumsy, not being able to focus, moody, hungry, headaches...

I've been tring to do better with the fat intake (prior to my recent diet, heh.). I just have to admit that with all my body is going through right now, I've been terrified of the slightest weight gain. I am trying to get past that and back on track and better in all areas. I certainly don't mind experimenting and finding what works. At the same time, I know I gain super easily with too much healthy fats, so I'd like to try and find my own personal balance. That's going to be my next move, along with increasing my carbs!

Thanks Kimm! I'm always clumsy..it's like my "thing" lol. I've had some mild headaches! I never get them either. And aside from the weak/tired/achy feeling I'm actaully able to focus, which is new for me! Usually, I have ADD at work LOL. And I'm soooo not hungry and have to force myself to eat. But I know that is 100% the Metformin talking. I have Insulin Resistance and I was just checked for PCOS yesterday and have yet to hear back from the dr.

Sometimes I feel like when I started getting healthy, eating clean, and working out my body just started going down the toilet. 90% of the time I have no idea what is going on with my body now that I am living a healthier life. I never had problems when I was 215....other than being fat! LOL.

Thanks ladies, I've made these notes. My goal for the new year is to get better at listening to my body and it's needs.

ethereality has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For me, low carb means:

-irritable/depressed
    -looking squishy
    -loss of muscle
    -pale appearance, undereye bags
    -trouble sleeping
    -chronic hunger

All depends on the person, though!

glossygraphics is on a distinguished road. (+10) glossygraphics is on a distinguished road. (+10) glossygraphics is on a distinguished road. (+10) glossygraphics is on a distinguished road. (+10) glossygraphics is on a distinguished road. (+10) glossygraphics is on a distinguished road. (+10) glossygraphics is on a distinguished road. (+10) glossygraphics is on a distinguished road. (+10) glossygraphics is on a distinguished road. (+10) glossygraphics is on a distinguished road. (+10) glossygraphics is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DumbMick317 View Post
    I've been tring to do better with the fat intake (prior to my recent diet, heh.). I just have to admit that with all my body is going through right now, I've been terrified of the slightest weight gain. I am trying to get past that and back on track and better in all areas. I certainly don't mind experimenting and finding what works. At the same time, I know I gain super easily with too much healthy fats, so I'd like to try and find my own personal balance. That's going to be my next move, along with increasing my carbs!

Thanks Kimm! I'm always clumsy..it's like my "thing" lol. I've had some mild headaches! I never get them either. And aside from the weak/tired/achy feeling I'm actaully able to focus, which is new for me! Usually, I have ADD at work LOL. And I'm soooo not hungry and have to force myself to eat. But I know that is 100% the Metformin talking. I have Insulin Resistance and I was just checked for PCOS yesterday and have yet to hear back from the dr.

Sometimes I feel like when I started getting healthy, eating clean, and working out my body just started going down the toilet. 90% of the time I have no idea what is going on with my body now that I am living a healthier life. I never had problems when I was 215....other than being fat! LOL.

Thanks ladies, I've made these notes. My goal for the new year is to get better at listening to my body and it's needs.
    You need fat. It took my along time to realize this with my disorder but its tru. My hair started falling out, I lost a half inch on my forehead, and didn't stop even after being 120 lbs aroun 28% BF. Then I started taking omega complex and my hair is doing better, and my acne isn't as bad. There's alot more functions for fat. Its all mental if you think it will turn straight to fat. Thats why I now hate no fat diets.

girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have a marathon-running friend who follows very low carb. She proudly tells people she ran her last marathon on bacon and eggs.
    What has your fat intake been like lately?
    Last edited by girl81; 01-08-2009 at 04:07 AM.
    ------------------------

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
    Matthew 22:36-40

_Bethany_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Bethany_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Bethany_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Bethany_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Bethany_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Bethany_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Bethany_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Bethany_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Bethany_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Bethany_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Bethany_ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I get dull headaches that are more annoying than anything else and I also get VERY moody. I have a really hard time sticking to a meal plan when the carbs are too low (learned that the hard way!) so I never ever dip below 100g and always make sure I have 1 source of carbs that isn't just veggies and fruits.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

PeanutButterMotherF*cker TankGirl's Avatar
    TankGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) TankGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm cutting with low carbs. I'm in my third week now.. my only carb sources are from veg, blueberries and grapefruit and trace carbs in nuts, and peanut butter etc. I'm getting under 60g carbs per day with everything considered and I get one cheat/carb refeed meal per week.

I have to say, I feel AMAZING doing this. Full of energy, not at all bloated like I feel when I take in carbs.. no headaches, no dizzyness.. not moody in the slightest, if anything my mood is elevated.

Just goes to show low carb isn't the enemy for EVERYONE out there!

(Plus the only time I ever see my abs *properly* is when I'm following this type of diet.. gotta love that!)

The above posters are right though, you can't go too low with your fats.. and you certainly shouldn't do low carb AND low fat at once - pick an energy source, carbs or fats and stick with it for best results. Right now I'm taking in 90g healthy fats per day.

Although yes, training for a marathon I'd most likely incorporate carbs for fuel!
    Last edited by TankGirl; 01-08-2009 at 05:00 AM.
    what would grok do?..

Currently: 5x5 stronglifts / 2-3 x per week sprints/crossfit

ainedb is on a distinguished road. (+10) ainedb is on a distinguished road. (+10) ainedb is on a distinguished road. (+10) ainedb is on a distinguished road. (+10) ainedb is on a distinguished road. (+10) ainedb is on a distinguished road. (+10) ainedb is on a distinguished road. (+10) ainedb is on a distinguished road. (+10) ainedb is on a distinguished road. (+10) ainedb is on a distinguished road. (+10) ainedb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I find that I get this almost indescribable feeling of malaise or weakness in my body. It's almost as if my flesh is hungry, rather than my stomach or my mind. I can have just eaten a meal, but still feel a small anxious feeling like I really need to eat something if I haven't had enough carbs. I also notice that my performance in the gym plummets; I have trouble doing all my reps, and I burn out sooner.
    I imagine I'm also pretty grumpy, too, because the feeling is quite distracting and unpleasant and I tend to also feel tired. But, everyone is different, so I am sure there are plenty of people out there who do quite well without 1 g of carbohydrate per pound of bodyweight, which is pretty much what I've figured out I need.
    "Unless you try to do something beyond what you have mastered, you will never grow."

I lift HEAVY so I can be leaner and stronger... and for the bragging rights. :-D

NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Symptoms of low carbs...

Feeling awesome.
    Losing fat.
    Having smooth, moist, dewey skin and shiny hair.
    Feeling like you could climb Everest in one breath.
    Having your allergies clear up miraculously.
    Having all your friends tell you how awesome you look.

I could go on and on.

If you feel crappy on a low carb diet, you're not eating enough fats. You really have to cram the fats in, as the body will switch over to using fats as the prime energy source. Without substantial fats you might as well grab a shovel and start digging--that is if you could even lift it.
    “Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out.” Anton Chekhov

"10% of life, is what happens to you--90% is how you respond to it."

"I know that I know nothing"--Socrates

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The first 2 weeks I went extremely low carb (less than 5% of cals from carbs, and toward 60% of my cals from fat), I noticed a dull ache in my joints when I was sitting around but nothing that kept me from doing anything. I was insanely thristy at the beginning. I couldn't sleep, had a kind of uncomfortable "wired" energy and was light headed. I had a metallic taste in my mouth. I lost strength and stamina. My muscle flattened out and I looked small and weak (even got complaints from other people about that one!). Parts of me that store more fat (lower body) looked REALLY bad without additional muscle volume underneath.

Some of those things worked themselves out, some didn't.

The diet I was on required a 36 hour carb-up every 6th day after that first 2 weeks. This is the nitty gritty of my final review after eating that way for 3 months:

PROS:
    -Less water under the skin
    -Abs look better than ever
    -Skin more clear than usual
    -Fatty meat and eggs are cheaper than lean meat and produce
    -No hunger

CONS:
    -Loss of strength
    -Loss of endurance
    -Loss of muscle volume (limbs look small)
    -Butt looked saggy an awful a lot of the time
    -Loss of body's sex drive (mind was still excited about the idea but body didn't know what to do with that info)
    -Loss of appetite to the point that eating what I needed to was miserable.
    -Not knowing what appearance would be from day to day
    -Bloating for no apparent reason at times
    -Pale skin
    -Tired all the time
    -Tight, uncomfortable lungs/metallic, blood-like taste that seemed to come from lungs
    -I'm not a big fan of fatty meats

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i think it would be a good idea to define 'low carb' first. it can be anything from less than 50% of total intake (often defined by the mainstream) to as little as 20-40 actual grams, with different effects.

people are different. some do better with certain approaches. if you think you can stick to a given diet long-term, then do.

if you feel awful on a 'low carb' diet (as in, you're trying to lose fat specifically), try to make out whether it is due to the carbs or simply to the fact you are in a deficit - it does not make people chirpy.

imo, so long as you get sufficient protein and a minimum of essential fats you can fill in the rest with whichever macro that suits you. just be sure the overall calories meet your goal.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    i think it would be a good idea to define 'low carb' first. it can be anything from less than 50% of total intake (often defined by the mainstream) to as little as 20-40 actual grams, with different effects.
    This is an important consideration...

ethereality has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DemetriaF View Post
    Symptoms of low carbs...

Feeling awesome.
    Losing fat.
    Having smooth, moist, dewey skin and shiny hair.
    Feeling like you could climb Everest in one breath.
    Having your allergies clear up miraculously.
    Having all your friends tell you how awesome you look.

I could go on and on.

If you feel crappy on a low carb diet, you're not eating enough fats. You really have to cram the fats in, as the body will switch over to using fats as the prime energy source. Without substantial fats you might as well grab a shovel and start digging--that is if you could even lift it.

This is really interesting! Your symptoms of low carbs/high fat are my symptoms of moderate carbs/mod fat. If I go too low carb, I feel and look absolutely awful, gain weight, get sick, runny nose (everything!). When my carbs are too high, I gain fat and get foggy-brained/tired. It's really about finding your own personal balance.

Originally Posted by ethereality View Post
    This is really interesting! Your symptoms of low carbs/high fat are my symptoms of moderate carbs/mod fat. If I go too low carb, I feel and look absolutely awful, gain weight, get sick, runny nose (everything!). When my carbs are too high, I gain fat and get foggy-brained/tired. It's really about finding your own personal balance.
    It is...TankGirl had a totally positive with Anabolic Diet. I think her long-term assessment of that diet would have been totally different than mine (short term might have been similar).

girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Amanda,
    About how much red meat were you consuming towards the end?
    Last edited by girl81; 01-09-2009 at 01:27 AM.
    ------------------------

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
    Matthew 22:36-40

Originally Posted by girl81 View Post
    Amanda,
    About how much red meat were you consuming towards the end?
    Ground beef (80/20) and eggs were the staples of my diet...I'd have at least 4 oz at a time at least 3x/day (was still eating about 6 meals a day).

train hard and smart Outdoor Girl's Avatar
    Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    the usual symptoms are feeling tired, feeling weak, clumsy, not being able to focus, moody, hungry, headaches...
    I tried to reduce my carbs (especially complex) in my daily diet and it simply did not work. I experienced the effects described above. Adding some more carbs immediately improved things. It wasn't worth it to me to feel exhausted and moody all of the time so I've had to build a diet with macro balances that work for me.

I'm sure there are people who have run marathons on low carbs but I was not one of them and I don't personally know anyone who has. In fact proper carbs before my runs and after helped fuel my runs and replenish my glycogen afterwards. I "carb loaded" in the days before the marathon and it helped tremendously.

Hope this helps!
    My Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169367373&p=1399499263

NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ethereality View Post
    If I go too low carb, I feel and look absolutely awful, gain weight, get sick, runny nose (everything!). When my carbs are too high, I gain fat and get foggy-brained/tired. It's really about finding your own personal balance.
    Oh, trust me I was sick and miserable on low carb too! But when you come to think of it, most of us spend our entire lives, 20, 30, 40+ years utilizing sugars/carbohydrates as our primary fuel source. So of course there's going to be a major upheaval, or even an extremely painful shift when attempting to make the switch to utilizing 'fats' instead of carbs/sugars.

So of course I felt completely awful for a very long time (seemed like years for me), but I remained extremely strict because I wanted to experience the befuddling health benefits that Eskimos maintain, as well as the 'youth' enhancing properties I had read about when folks switch from carbohydrates to a more prehistoric fat/protein rich diet--which is all about the skin, muscles and collagen formation.

But little by little my body acclimated to the point where I am now, where I'm burning fats so efficiently that my body can only run on this type of premium, longer lasting fuel. So IMO, the benefits far outweigh whatever I went though to get where I am today--10 years straight Keto and counting! :P
    “Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out.” Anton Chekhov

"10% of life, is what happens to you--90% is how you respond to it."

"I know that I know nothing"--Socrates