rocketilb08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocketilb08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocketilb08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocketilb08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocketilb08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocketilb08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Recently NASM certified...Questioning the OPT Model

I was recently certified through NASM and I am wondering, does anyone here completely follow the OPT model. The entire first month of stabilization endurance and everything. It just doesnt seem like it is enough exercises and intensity. I feel like it would be much more beneficial just to throw a new client into some sort of circuit training. Am I right and also if you have time, what are some example workouts that you do with YOUR clients? Thanks Lucas

rnaco is a name known to all. (+5000) rnaco is a name known to all. (+5000) rnaco is a name known to all. (+5000) rnaco is a name known to all. (+5000) rnaco is a name known to all. (+5000) rnaco is a name known to all. (+5000) rnaco is a name known to all. (+5000) rnaco is a name known to all. (+5000) rnaco is a name known to all. (+5000) rnaco is a name known to all. (+5000) rnaco is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No one I know uses the OPT model by-the-book. I wouldn't put too much salt into what NASM teaches. Plenty of their info is bad. For example if you took one of their template-workouts and followed the tempo they say to use, it would be a 3 hour workout.

rocketilb08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocketilb08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocketilb08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocketilb08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocketilb08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rocketilb08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That is what i was thinking. Let alone it would be quite boring going with a 4-2-1 tempo. That means if you did a stability ball squat. It would be 4 seconds down to parallel, hold for 2, and press up for 1. At 2 sets of 15 reps that is a lot of time and borring repetative motion. May I ask what types of workouts you use and where you get your ideas for the workout programs from?

Registered User Performance_Fit's Avatar
    Performance_Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

NASM OPT Model

The OPT Model was designed based on the scientific evidence. Yes a work out if done to the specifications can take hours to complete depending on the workout goals. But if you are a more advanced fitness athlete then you may need to adapt the program to fit your needs.

The stabilization stage is most important to take a sedentary individual from no exercise to the ability to handle more intense exercise. If you are a bodybuilder it is recommended that you do the stabilization phase for at least one week every cycle of twelve weeks. you will spend most of the cycle circulating between hypertrophy and strength phases. As the purpose of your workout is growth.

It looks something like this:

week 1 stabilization and cardio.
    weeks 2-3 strength phase
    weeks 4-6 hypertrophy phase
    week 7 maximal strength and power phase
    week 8 same as week 1
    weeks 9-11 strength and hypertrophy blended at your discretion
    week 12 maximal strength and power phase
    week 13 and on repeat the cycle of weeks 8-12

The idea is to keep the program changing as to not allow the muscles to adapt and plateau. with the proper nutrition program you will see kick ass results.

I am NASM CPT, CES, PES and I personally have been using the program over the last seven months as stated above. I started at 6 foot 3 inches, 212 pounds, 27% BF, 26 bmi. I am now 240 pounds, 15.3% BF, 29 BMI. All I have done is maintain the nutritional requirements of my diet and the program above, and for cardio I spend an hour walking at a fast pace, so as not to burn too much calories from protein.

DwithBeneFITPT is on a distinguished road. (+10) DwithBeneFITPT is on a distinguished road. (+10) DwithBeneFITPT is on a distinguished road. (+10) DwithBeneFITPT is on a distinguished road. (+10) DwithBeneFITPT is on a distinguished road. (+10) DwithBeneFITPT is on a distinguished road. (+10) DwithBeneFITPT is on a distinguished road. (+10) DwithBeneFITPT is on a distinguished road. (+10) DwithBeneFITPT is on a distinguished road. (+10) DwithBeneFITPT is on a distinguished road. (+10) DwithBeneFITPT is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wink

I POSTED THIS IN A PREVIOUS OPT THREAD:
    SEE BELOW

I use two of the phases unless my clients have professional goals or are in need of corrective programs.

I typically target their imbalances, create a stability program based on the individule needs then progress to strength based on their advancement.

Hypertrophy and max strenth phases are unnessisary unless this appeals to the individual for specific reasons.

Not to mention most of your clients evident imbalances can be corrected in a resistance stability phase.

If you keep them happy long enough to move to another phase revisit stability after strenght and create an advanced stability phase

I typically see clients advance in about 3-4 weeks at three times a week in each phase.
    Internal dialogue effects external performance.

jc202286 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

OPT Model for advanced bodybuilding

Originally Posted by Performance_Fit View Post
    The OPT Model was designed based on the scientific evidence. Yes a work out if done to the specifications can take hours to complete depending on the workout goals. But if you are a more advanced fitness athlete then you may need to adapt the program to fit your needs.

The stabilization stage is most important to take a sedentary individual from no exercise to the ability to handle more intense exercise. If you are a bodybuilder it is recommended that you do the stabilization phase for at least one week every cycle of twelve weeks. you will spend most of the cycle circulating between hypertrophy and strength phases. As the purpose of your workout is growth.

It looks something like this:

week 1 stabilization and cardio.
    weeks 2-3 strength phase
    weeks 4-6 hypertrophy phase
    week 7 maximal strength and power phase
    week 8 same as week 1
    weeks 9-11 strength and hypertrophy blended at your discretion
    week 12 maximal strength and power phase
    week 13 and on repeat the cycle of weeks 8-12

The idea is to keep the program changing as to not allow the muscles to adapt and plateau. with the proper nutrition program you will see kick ass results.

I am NASM CPT, CES, PES and I personally have been using the program over the last seven months as stated above. I started at 6 foot 3 inches, 212 pounds, 27% BF, 26 bmi. I am now 240 pounds, 15.3% BF, 29 BMI. All I have done is maintain the nutritional requirements of my diet and the program above, and for cardio I spend an hour walking at a fast pace, so as not to burn too much calories from protein.
    Those are some great results. I actually just got certified CPT from NASM about a month ago. I have been working on creating a good periodization training program based solely on NASM's acute variables and theories..One Problem though, NASM suggests you stay in each phase four weeks and i just cant handle staying in the stabilization and strength endurance for two months at a times. I really liked your idea of using the OPT model and im now creating a program based on your idea. A couple quick questions though. What supplements are you taking and are you a natural bodybuilder? And is two to three weeks of recovery from the more intense bouts of training in phase 3 and 4 enough rest before cycling back through??

skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The OPT model is retarded. Just be a trainer a practice your own philosophy. Surely, you have your own concepts and beliefs that you feel are professional enough to charge a fee to teach. That's what I did.

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by skyheart View Post
    The OPT model is retarded. Just be a trainer a practice your own philosophy. Surely, you have your own concepts and beliefs that you feel are professional enough to charge a fee to teach. That's what I did.
    I agree with this. If you are new to programming then I suppose you start with a basic template and alter your program as you make observations over the years.

I am not familiar with the "OPT model", but it pretty much sounds like long linear periodization which was created in like, the 60's I think? Maybe earlier? Also, I believe it was created for the use of athletes. The average person does not need seperate phases devoted to strength endurance and power because they do not have enough strength to possibly have strength endurance or power which is also a product of strength and time.

StillWorkin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StillWorkin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StillWorkin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StillWorkin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StillWorkin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StillWorkin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StillWorkin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StillWorkin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StillWorkin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StillWorkin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StillWorkin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rocketilb08 View Post
    I was recently certified through NASM and I am wondering, does anyone here completely follow the OPT model. The entire first month of stabilization endurance and everything. It just doesnt seem like it is enough exercises and intensity. I feel like it would be much more beneficial just to throw a new client into some sort of circuit training. Am I right and also if you have time, what are some example workouts that you do with YOUR clients? Thanks Lucas
    No.. I say it always depended on the clients level.
    Certified Personal Trainer, A.C.E, N.A.S.M
    Senior BB.com Member

Current Supps
    BSN Hyper Shred | HMB | Fish Oil | Opti-Men | ProSupps: Dr Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

.:MiscMarioBrahs:.

jay0707 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jay0707 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jay0707 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jay0707 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jay0707 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jay0707 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jay0707 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jay0707 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jay0707 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jay0707 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jay0707 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by SFT View Post
    I agree with this. If you are new to programming then I suppose you start with a basic template and alter your program as you make observations over the years.

I am not familiar with the "OPT model", but it pretty much sounds like long linear periodization which was created in like, the 60's I think? Maybe earlier? Also, I believe it was created for the use of athletes. The average person does not need seperate phases devoted to strength endurance and power because they do not have enough strength to possibly have strength endurance or power which is also a product of strength and time.
    bwahahahahahahahaha!!!! this is the type of $h!t you get when you lack education. bet you have a lifetime subscription to muscle and fiction too huh?

Paler than Chalk GuinnessStrong's Avatar
    GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Clark had a good idea with the OPT model but in the end you have to be intelligent about program design. My personal workouts are based loosely on OPT because it's a good foundation; a basic platform from which to build using my experience and knowledge. However, OPT is an ideal model for an ideal world. Given we don't live in any form of an ideal world, that sh!t will not work if you follow it to the letter. It mainly serves to function for those of us who do corrective exercise and post phys therapy. It's much too clinical to be used fully outside of that.
    445/365/525

wantzatc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do use the OPT by the book. I have found the science behind it valid. I realize that most people using this board have no concept of research and no respect for the model, but I have seen some very significant benefits because of it.

I have been able to assist a SWAT member through all phases of the OPT and the results were tremendous. I would have to say that you need to have a very dedicated and patient person. The results are going to be better than anything that you can pull off with a random or non-scientific program. I have seen them. They disregard science.

Stabilization is important and necessary for gaining maximal results. You cannot get the maximal strength or power without it. Your hypertrophy is going to be limited by your strength. There are no two ways about it.

Yes, the program at the beginning is long and tedious, but is well worth it. Why not try to use it rather than discounting it out of the blocks? It is valid and there is research going on to show the validity of the model as well. I would challenge you to see who can gain the most through programming!

EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i'm taking my nasm test on saturday but have implemented their ideas into my own training so i know what i'm teaching....since i've been lifting around 13 years old i've done hypertrophy, with a mix of plyometrics here and there, some stability type core work....not a lot of stabilization or power training tho in my life.

I've practiced the stablization endurance and strength endurance phase and have noticed an improvement in my stability, balance, and overall movement.....i feel like mechanically i'm going through my exercises better.

If you're not getting a workout through the first two phases you're just not doing it right. The 4-2-1 tempo i don't find boring at all, and i believe it definitely helped. If you're doing a chest press on a stability ball, you are working much harder to stabilize your core and shoulder muscles with that tempo opposed to a regular 2-0-2, 1-0-1 type tempo. Also if you really emphasize pulling in the lower navel area, squeezing glutes, and pinching shoulder blades. I've worked up much more of a sweat with the first two phases then i regularly did on hypertrophy. (shorter rest intervals prob a big reason)

FST-7 is the favorite program i've ever tried, i miss doing my hypertrophy phase but i believe in this nasm model so far, i feel the results from performing the work. I think its a good base of design, if you have advanced clients you can obviously branch out (fst-7, 5x5, etc) but i think w/ majority of your clients its a good design to start with.

I don't find it boring, i don't think clients should (they won't if they get results) but i mean ultimately if you slap walls and siding on a poor foundation its just not going to work out

lowens1232 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jay0707 View Post
    bwahahahahahahahaha!!!! this is the type of $h!t you get when you lack education. bet you have a lifetime subscription to muscle and fiction too huh?
    Amen brother... Knuckleheads. These guys are the number one reason Personal Training has had to to make a come back. Thanks to my NASM education I am able to positively effect even the most sedentary people with a much reduced risk of injury. But then again, these guys do keep me busy correcting their "concepts and beliefs"...(Ha Skyheart) with Corrective Exercise Solutions which pays pretty well...

supermant11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermant11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermant11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermant11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermant11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermant11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermant11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermant11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermant11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermant11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supermant11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lowens1232 View Post
    Amen brother... Knuckleheads. These guys are the number one reason Personal Training has had to to make a come back. Thanks to my NASM education I am able to positively effect even the most sedentary people with a much reduced risk of injury. But then again, these guys do keep me busy correcting their "concepts and beliefs"...(Ha Skyheart) with Corrective Exercise Solutions which pays pretty well...
    Umm this thread is from 2009 and you quoted someone from 2011.... not sure if srs
    ~~~International Sports Science Association Certified Fitness Trainer~~~
    ~~~International Sports Science Association Certified Specialist in Exercise Therapist~~~
    ~~~International Sports Science Association Certified Specialist in Fitness Nutrition~~~

http://www.becomethemass.com/

*****Negging qurs for life crew.*****

Gtarkfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That model is for beginners with little to no imagination.

c21shaun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I took the test a week ago and failed. Im taking it again on the 24th. I dont agree with a lot of N A S M course. There no way to follow it to a tee.

c21shaun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anyone know any sites. I can get actual test questions from? They really **** with you on the test. I give respect to anyone that passed the test the first time