Thread: power cleans

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

power cleans

what split would i put it in? i asked on another forum and got little useful info.

i recently tried these for the first time, and would like to experiment with them. but can't decide where to put them.

my current splits are: chest day, leg day, deadlift day, shoulder and rest of back day.

also, what set/rep scheme would one use? same as any other exercise?

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do power cleans weekly. For me they seem to work the spinal erectors, lower back, glutes, and forearms. I add them in after deadlifts. I even add in some cleans/press movements in the lighter weighted sets before I move up to the hooo faa weights. Then I am happy just not to fall over.

Baldie

paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been using them at the end of shoulder day before shrugs as I tend to do shoulders and traps. Shoulder day usually is 3 days after back. I think it gives me extra residual lower back, lumbar work as well as upper and middle trap work. So far so good, but then I will normally rotate the workout and routines every couple of months or so..

Maybee leaving it at the end of back day will work well. I'd try alternating if you are really not sure and see how the body copes. It will depend on the type of split you are using too.

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Power cleans are valuable in that they hit many of the back, trap, and forearm muscles. To that end, Baldie's doing them on back/deadlift days and Paulb72's doing them on shoulders (for traps) are both appropriate.

I do them on back days; I also do traps as part of back and I think the PCs (and for that matter power snatches, and clean and/or snatch pulls) hammer traps while working back, removing the need to do shrugs. I'm on a double split and in training back twice/week I do deadlifts on one of those days. I do similar to Baldie but in the reverse order; because I have access only to barbells and no machines, all 3 of my basic back builders (rows, pulls, and DLs) follow on on another, so I do sets of the lightest first (usually PCs), then "pyramid" (of a sort) up to rows, then onwards to DLs (if I'm doing them that day, otherwise a heavy snatch pull or something).

I think 5 rep sets are entirely appropriate because 5 reps seem to be (for me) the junction between form, hypertrophy, and strength; you need at least 5 reps to get some hypertrophy but doing higher reps will likely affect your form (unless you're going too light for the exercise to be of any use).
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paulb72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do them on back days; I also do traps as part of back and I think the PCs (and for that matter power snatches, and clean and/or snatch pulls) hammer traps while working back, removing the need to do shrugs.

I think 5 rep sets are entirely appropriate because 5 reps seem to be (for me) the junction between form, hypertrophy, and strength; you need at least 5 reps to get some hypertrophy but doing higher reps will likely affect your form (unless you're going too light for the exercise to be of any use).[/QUOTE]

Sorry don't mean to hijack, but

How do you find the power snatches etc. I'm wondering if using some more balistic type novements are going to be useful as I want to increase power/strength. Everybody I talk to tells me not to do them and they are a waste of time and energy. Coincidentally they have never done them as they are not conventional BB excercises.

I want some real functional muscle as well as hypertrophy.

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by paulb72 View Post
    Sorry don't mean to hijack, but

How do you find the power snatches etc. I'm wondering if using some more balistic type novements are going to be useful as I want to increase power/strength. Everybody I talk to tells me not to do them and they are a waste of time and energy. Coincidentally they have never done them as they are not conventional BB excercises.

I want some real functional muscle as well as hypertrophy.
    Hi Paul. I picked up the olympic lifting moves during 2 spates of OLY training I did over the years. There's nothing more satisfying than doing them, in my opinion; learning about them and doing them opened my eyes beyond the usual received bodybuilding 'wisdom.' If you want to increase power/strength (ie weight lifted over distance at higher speed) as part of functional strength, then you can't beat the OLY support exercises. I find that by working them into my bodybuilding routines I get a more well-rounded workout and increased endorphin release - it's like squatting every day! Ha ha. As my old coach, Bert Squires (former Commonwealth Games champ and Olympics competitor), once said: "When you do a bodybuilding workout you can go home, have a meal and watch TV for a few hours and be ready for another. When you do an olympic lifting workout you can't move for the rest of the day!" All true. Your body is blasted. Which is why I work the OLY moves in whenever I can.

A good way I've found is to use lots of variety. I do the pulling moves on back days; they can be used to "work up to" deadlifts, or replace them on alternate days (heavy clean pulls, for instance). The variety also keeps the CNS on tap and keeps you from getting bored or stale. Here are some exercises:
    - power cleans
    - full cleans (these also involve front squatting), and are very good for functional strength
    - clean pulls high or low (and from floor or off blocks)
    - power snatches (these will also involve residual shoulder work in stabilization)
    - full snatches (ibid, and also involve overhead squatting)
    - snatch pulls high or low (and from floor or off blocks)
    - Rumanian deadlifts

I always do at least one of these exercises on back days, sets of 5 reps. On every other day when not doing deadlifts, I will also do heavy low clean pulls, so the other exercise would probably be light high snatch pulls earlier on, off blocks (if I have them). This is in addition to the rows. The key is not too many sets or reps.

- Anon

Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Hi Paul. I picked up the olympic lifting moves during 2 spates of OLY training I did over the years. There's nothing more satisfying than doing them, in my opinion; learning about them and doing them opened my eyes beyond the usual received bodybuilding 'wisdom.' If you want to increase power/strength (ie weight lifted over distance at higher speed) as part of functional strength, then you can't beat the OLY support exercises. I find that by working them into my bodybuilding routines I get a more well-rounded workout and increased endorphin release - it's like squatting every day! Ha ha. As my old coach, Bert Squires (former Commonwealth Games champ and Olympics competitor), once said: "When you do a bodybuilding workout you can go home, have a meal and watch TV for a few hours and be ready for another. When you do an olympic lifting workout you can't move for the rest of the day!" All true. Your body is blasted. Which is why I work the OLY moves in whenever I can.

A good way I've found is to use lots of variety. I do the pulling moves on back days; they can be used to "work up to" deadlifts, or replace them on alternate days (heavy clean pulls, for instance). The variety also keeps the CNS on tap and keeps you from getting bored or stale. Here are some exercises:
    - power cleans
    - full cleans (these also involve front squatting), and are very good for functional strength
    - clean pulls high or low (and from floor or off blocks)
    - power snatches (these will also involve residual shoulder work in stabilization)
    - full snatches (ibid, and also involve overhead squatting)
    - snatch pulls high or low (and from floor or off blocks)
    - Rumanian deadlifts

I always do at least one of these exercises on back days, sets of 5 reps. On every other day when not doing deadlifts, I will also do heavy low clean pulls, so the other exercise would probably be light high snatch pulls earlier on, off blocks (if I have them). This is in addition to the rows. The key is not too many sets or reps.
    Thanks for the advice I'm sold.
    I'll definitely start incorporating into the routine.
    Great advice..

Back to the origial thread, sorry guys.

Originally Posted by paulb72 View Post
    Thanks for the advice I'm sold.
    I'll definitely start incorporating into the routine.
    Great advice..

Back to the origial thread, sorry guys.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...0&postcount=13

- Anon

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by boathead View Post
    what split would i put it in? i asked on another forum and got little useful info.

i recently tried these for the first time, and would like to experiment with them. but can't decide where to put them.

my current splits are: chest day, leg day, deadlift day, shoulder and rest of back day.

also, what set/rep scheme would one use? same as any other exercise?
    dedicate a day for power cleans , snatches, front and overhead squats
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    Agreed!! But I hate overhead squats because I suck at them.

Want an EVIL back workout? This came from stone lifter extraordinaire Erik Suave:

Start with power snatches easy sets of 3, add even increments of weight until you miss a single. Then switch to power cleans add same weight until you miss (start with 3's). Now High pulls same way. Once you miss there switch to Deadlifts. Keep adding weight until you miss a single. It takes about a week to recover from this.
    Gnomefit...ain't for everybody, only the sexy people.

BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GnomusMaximus View Post
    I love them I just can't do them properly yet.. I am working on it
    I am doing shoulder dislocations almost every day, I am not very flexible in my shoulders

Thumbs up

Start with power snatches easy sets of 3, add even increments of weight until you miss a single. Then switch to power cleans add same weight until you miss (start with 3's). Now High pulls same way. Once you miss there switch to Deadlifts. Keep adding weight until you miss a single. It takes about a week to recover from this.
    Nice. I'll give that a shot myself when I get further along.

- Anon

Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rhinoclan has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have 2 backs days, one deadlift, cleans, and narrow grip chins, and reverse flies, 3 days later I do wide grip pulls ups, BO BB Rows, and BO DB Rows.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Want an EVIL back workout? This came from stone lifter extraordinaire Erik Suave:

I know what I'm doing Monday!
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Here's an article by Erik. Featuring him, Bill Crawford and Dana Florence (I've only met Dana once or twice). These guys know their stuff. It was these guys that came up with the "Maximus" tag. Very strong group of very funny men.

http://www.functionalhandstrength.co...e_lifting.html
    Gnomefit...ain't for everybody, only the sexy people.

rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    I know what I'm doing Monday!
    don't hurt yourself again
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They're not really good for anything but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

My Training Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145043261

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Here's an article by Erik. Featuring him, Bill Crawford and Dana Florence (I've only met Dana once or twice). These guys know their stuff. It was these guys that came up with the "Maximus" tag. Very strong group of very funny men.

http://www.functionalhandstrength.co...e_lifting.html
    That's a great little story. Thanks for posting it.

Did I mention I told my wife about the possible games in Chatham, and the first thing out of her mouth was, "Are you gonna throw?"

Originally Posted by rpaul11 View Post
    don't hurt yourself again
    Interestingly enough, the majority of my injuries occur during cardio. I've had two injuries over the years with my kettlebells, and I've never had an injury with a barbell.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    ibid
    only a lit major could work an "ibid" into a power clean conversation.

Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    i like that idea, except i've never done any of those exercises, except for the one time with power cleans.

some day. one at a time.

i like that idea, except i've never done any of those exercises, except for the one time with power cleans.

some day. one at a time.
    well... you get to do them gradually unless someone can teach you
    my clean is still not great the snatch is pretty easy when you learn the power clean, basically if you know the back squat, front squat, overhead press, deadlift and clean you then have the base for all oly lifts.. putting them together is the hard part LOL
    learning the power clean is a good start

only a lit major could work an "ibid" into a power clean conversation.
    MAN you've got a memory!

- Anon

yet, tomorrow i'll get to the gym and forget the workout i so laboriously planned.