Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cujolaverga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Chest won't grow

I have been training consistently for 4 years and eating somewhat clean, even in the bulking season. I lift hard, but i cant grow a freaking chest. I have tried everything under the sun, from dumbbell work to primarily barbell and a mix of the two. All heavy, basic movements with no results to show. I have mixed up my set and rep schemes to keep em guessin and they do get sore. My shoulders have blown up, arms have always been decent. I have heard of lagging bodyparts but this **** is getting ridiculous. Im 26...old to some of you, but never to old to learn. this may sound idiotic, but could it be that genetically, i just cant grow a thick chest? yes, this is my first post here but i have been lurking here for years...stalker? lol I need help!
    Last edited by cujolaverga; 01-07-2009 at 12:54 AM.

BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Once I started doing pushups often with high reps my chest grew. Either a few sets of 50 or 60; or I'd put a weighted backpack on and do them like that.
    Rat **** bat **** dirty old twat. Sixty nine *******s tied in a knot. Hooray. Lizard ****. ****.

I forgot mention that I did high reps, high volume training and got the same result...none...LOL.

dulics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fully fatigue your chest with pre-exhaust!

Because they are such smaller muscles, sometimes your delts and tris become fatigued before your chest has a chance to be fully stimulated. Therefore, I think you should start incorporating pre-exhaust into your chest workout. I'm not sure if your familiar with pre-exhaust but it consists of doing an isolation exercise before a compound exercise. In this case, a fly movement before a pressing movement. This will help to fully fatigue your chest before your delts and tris fatigue. Next time try this at the beginning of your workout:

After warming up,

Incline Dumbbell Fly supersetted w/
    Incline Barbell Press - 2 x 8-12 reps

Do one or two more sets of just Incline Barbell Press and then finish with the rest of your usual workout.

I had a friend with the same problem as you, but after getting him onto pre-exhaust, his chest has finally started catching up!

Hope this helps!

killerbee_zor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerbee_zor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerbee_zor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerbee_zor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerbee_zor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerbee_zor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerbee_zor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerbee_zor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerbee_zor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerbee_zor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerbee_zor has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Have the same problem, but after doing partial benchpresses for some weeks(not locking out) my chest seems to finally grow!

genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cujolaverga View Post
    I have been training consistently for 4 years and eating somewhat clean, even in the bulking season. I lift hard, but i cant grow a freaking chest. I have tried everything under the sun, from dumbbell work to primarily barbell and a mix of the two. All heavy, basic movements with no results to show. I have mixed up my set and rep schemes to keep em guessin and they do get sore. My shoulders have blown up, arms have always been decent. I have heard of lagging bodyparts but this **** is getting ridiculous. Im 26...old to some of you, but never to old to learn. this may sound idiotic, but could it be that genetically, i just cant grow a thick chest? yes, this is my first post here but i have been lurking here for years...stalker? lol I need help!
    what is your current routine? reps sets exercises?
    The body is lazy, unless you give it a reason to grow it won't

Tho I walk thru the valley of the shadow of Death I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest motherf*cker in the valley

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds - Henry Rollins

NASM-CPT-CES
    Nutrition Coach

kimmieann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sir,

Have you tried doing the negative lifting effect? Rather than what your doing right now. I wouldn't stress it too much, stressing can also cause your body not to do what you really want it to do. Have you tried asking other trainers, other than asking us, here? Have you even thought of taking a look at Robert Kennedy's Encyclopedia of Body Building? I t may be worth the buy, that man knows alot. And I would suggest to you, to do Robert's wife's (Tosca Reno) clean eating diet. You may want to try going all the way clean, rather than almost clean with your eating. It may help make the difference.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Aside from finding the proper routine, I think you should take a good look at your form. You said you use barbells and dumbbells and mix up the routines. All well and good.

However, perhaps the problem is with not rolling your shoulders back and down. A lot of guys make this mistake and I did, too, until a friend pointed out that I was "hunching" forwards when I did bench. Once I corrected that mistake, my chest started growing again. For bench, incline, decline, barbell, d'bell or even machine, roll the shoulders back and down, lift up the ribcage and keep it lifted at all times. That will help isolate the pecs as much as possible, although the front delts and triceps will still be assisting.

The other thing is, as someone pointed out before, every so often i.e. every third workout, you might try doing flyes first to pre-exhaust the pecs. You don't have to superset--although that's an option--but the pecs will get a different kind of stimulation, even though you'll have to use less weight on the presses.

Hope this helps a little...
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000) eb02z06 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Dude, 245 lbs and a 420+ lb bench?!? You are a monster!!

Have you done a lot of 5x5 work to date? For me, the full body stress was what it took to get my bench up 20+ lbs and add an inch to my chest in 7 weeks!!
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 13

Current Workout log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=114266071

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Focus on developing your MMC, which may require you to examine your form.

Also, incorporate various fly movements if you aren't already. ATrainer Flyes are a seldom used, but fantastic exercise. Do a search here for more info on those.
    Who was this love of yours?

Originally Posted by eb02z06 View Post
    Dude, 245 lbs and a 420+ lb bench?!? You are a monster!!

Have you done a lot of 5x5 work to date? For me, the full body stress was what it took to get my bench up 20+ lbs and add an inch to my chest in 7 weeks!!
    lol...thanks but i dont care if i could bench 800 + if i didnt look good. I appreciate the tips in here. I have done pre exhaust before but will give it another go. I think my form is good. Im not familiar with rolling my shoulders down? I do, however pinch them together when i bench. I hold my chest as high as possible when i do bench as well.

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Pay attention to the pump and feel. Both are vital in "activating" weak points. Stick with the exercises that accomplish both of those ends the most for you.

nillocsivad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nillocsivad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nillocsivad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nillocsivad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nillocsivad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nillocsivad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nillocsivad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nillocsivad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nillocsivad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nillocsivad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nillocsivad has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

what do you mean you cant build a chest?

Good, the enemy of great! Blackjackcat's Avatar
    Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    Pay attention to the pump and feel. Both are vital in "activating" weak points. Stick with the exercises that accomplish both of those ends the most for you.
    X2

I really have to concentrate, to get that feel, when working chest. Try to really feel the chest pushing the weight up, not the triceps(though they do a lot of the work). My chest also was a lagging body part for me but it is finally starting to come around.
    Last edited by Blackjackcat; 01-07-2009 at 08:55 PM.

thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why not try dumbell bench instead of bench it's a great workout for balance and size.

pepsiracer24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pepsiracer24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pepsiracer24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pepsiracer24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pepsiracer24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pepsiracer24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pepsiracer24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pepsiracer24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pepsiracer24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pepsiracer24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pepsiracer24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Form is your biggest key, like stated above. Once I got my form correct, my chest started to grow a little more. That's just in recent weeks too. But it's still my most lacking area, imo.
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will" - Vince Lombardi

TEAM RAB - www.RABFitness.com
    National Level NPC Men's Physique Athlete

Gethin 12 Week Promo Video - http://videos.bodybuilding.com/watch/93932/2011-kris-gethin-hardcore-trainer-promo
    Gethin 12 Week Transformations - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer-transformations.html

again, thanks for the tips guys. truth is, I have tried most, if not all, of these things and did it on a regular basis. I guess I will just have to push harder than I ever have here within the next couple of months and try to put some quality size on. I was hoping to start my cut here within the next couple of weeks but I guess that went out the window cause I have never been able to gain any sort of muscle while dieting. Any which way it goes, again I appreciate it and will be checking back here frequently for more tips and a boost in morale.

kimmieann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just to add, try warm-ups: 2 sets of a higher repetition, using the third set to do a lower repetition. Just try it for 2 weeks straight, and make sure you are getting at least 35 minutes of cardio at least 4X / week. Don't forget about that combining brings an added plus, than weights, alone.
    If that does not work, I would get up with Robert Kennedy. He a professional.
    That man has been at it for years.
    "There a LIGHT at the end of this tunnel for you."

again, thanks for the tips guys. truth is, I have tried most, if not all, of these things and did it on a regular basis. I guess I will just have to push harder than I ever have here within the next couple of months and try to put some quality size on. I was hoping to start my cut here within the next couple of weeks but I guess that went out the window cause I have never been able to gain any sort of muscle while dieting. Any which way it goes, again I appreciate it and will be checking back here frequently for more tips and a boost in morale.
    Have you tried upping the volume?

Often lagging parts need more. This can either be per session, or through increased frequency, or even a combo of both.

Yeah i went pretty high in volume for awhile though i did decrease the weight i was using while i was doing that. i wonder if that may have been where i went wrong. either way it goes, this just sucks because i grow like a weed elsewhere.

Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkmind is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What made my chest grow a good inch in about a month to month and a half time was an undulating period based chest routine, fitted in a 3x a week full-body routine. I wish I would've done it longer but at the time I had a huge case of lifting A.D.D. I actually came up with this myself because at the time I was curious to see results of undulating periodization.

It fits into a 3x a week full-body workout.

All sets and reps are done at 75% of 1RM
    1st week: Bench Press
    Mon: 8x4, Wed: 6x6, Fri: 4x8

2nd week: Incline Bench Press
    Mon: 8x4, Wed: 6x6, Fri: 4x8

Done with a comfortable medium-grip.

I also added in flies at 3x10-12 then after I reach all 12 reps for 3 sets I do 4x10-12. I did flies after the bench press basically, and they were incline flies. To balance it off with my back I did 3x8-10 bent-over rows and 3x10-15 rear lateral raises. This was also during the time where I first attempted a back squat. So I was also working on those.

Hope it's not too complicated. Pretty straightforward if you ask me.
    Screw my logs, I won't post one up until I know I'll be back in the game for sure!

Recovered Ameribrah headinahole's Avatar
    headinahole has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headinahole has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headinahole has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headinahole has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headinahole has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headinahole has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headinahole has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headinahole has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headinahole has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headinahole has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headinahole has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Weighted dips?

Incline flys?
    ***Traditional Wet Shaving Crew***
    ***Official Dog Owners Crew***
    ***Whiskey Neat Crew***
    ***Texas Crew***
    ***Dallas Misc***
    Back From Back Injury pic thread updated (8/21/14)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162931351

TTexasTT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTexasTT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTexasTT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTexasTT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTexasTT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTexasTT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTexasTT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTexasTT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTexasTT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTexasTT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTexasTT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dude I almost started this exact same thread... My upper chest will grow but that about it... Like u said Ive also tried everything Ive been suggested. Not trying to hijack ur thread, so Im just gonna listen to all the comments u get. Also, have u tried weighted dips till failure? Thats one thing that actually did show a little bit of growth for me.

i have done weighted dips and i dont know if its just my form or what, but i NEVER feel those in my chest. Im gonna give these atrainer fly things a shot and see how they feel. Upper chest isnt really a problem, its the lower that have let me down.

Upper chest isnt really a problem, its the lower that have let me down.
    Decline DB Press has been said to work well for guys with this issue.

SLFlynn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Suggestion

Well everybody's different, but my recommendation would be to lighten up the weight on the bench press and try to go with a wider grip (it appears in your photo that your inner chest and triceps are more developed than your outer chest). Try not to be concerned with the amount of weight your are using - this is more of a means to to an end, so to speak. I also agree with the person who said not to lock out at the top of each rep. I would stick with 12- 15 rep sets (5 on flat bench, 5 on incline bench).

twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post

x3

Often I've found that lower weight , but really focusing on and thinking about that muscle and feeling it push/pull is what made the difference in a solid chest routine and a heavier weight that wore my tries and shoulders out.

Also I think for me when my lower chest was really lagging , the Decline DB press and more importantly the "Bent over dip" ( not sure of the official name) was what really added better shape to my lower/outer pec shape.

Leaning farther over the Dib bars and sticking my ass farther our so that I was concentrating on chest muscles doing alot of pushing along with Triceps.

big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) big78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would go for feel and not worry about the weight. When I was in my early teens my favorite exercise was the butterlfly on the pec-dec machine. I did tons of those and built a good size chest.

Look at some youtube vids on proper position/grip etc.

Maybe your grip is too wide. If you go closer in you will feel it more in the middle of your chest and tris as well.. Switch your grip every couple weeks and hit your chest from every angle.

Try some burnouts at the end.. strip the weight and do as many as you can with nice and slow strict form. You should be so pumped that you can crack a walnut between your chest..

Good luck

Bandini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bandini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bandini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bandini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bandini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bandini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bandini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bandini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bandini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bandini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bandini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Flat bench dumbbell flyes (the way Arnold does them)
    Incline flyes
    Dips Vince Gironda style
    push-ups with various hand widths

twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10) twellons is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dulics View Post

After warming up,

Incline Dumbbell Fly supersetted w/
    Incline Barbell Press - 2 x 8-12 reps

I may try this as well on my next Chest Day ( tomorrow actually ) And hit the Flies first , then the DB's and an extra set or two of flies.

Although if he's worried abotu lower chest , I recommend he go flat for that one.