Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by LeakyQuesadilla View Post
    Can you please answer this?
    Hey Travis, how big of a role do you think genetics play in becoming so damn strong? I look at you and these other guys on TV and feel pretty much worthless because i'm not even sure if my genetics will EVER allow me to get so strong. But then again i think with 100% effort, time, dedication and extreme consistency pretty much anyone can achieve your level of strength. what do you think?

I think genetics play a part in anything you do, but I don't think they limit you to certain things they way people like to say they do. I think people saying someone is just a genetic freak and that's why he is so big and strong is just their way of being lazy or giving up on themselves. The honest answer is some individuals just don't want to work hard enough to be the absolute best he or she can be. It takes years of dedication and proper training to maximize your genetic potential! And even then, who is to say that truly is your limit? It may just be your limit with that certain style of training or mental attitude and in order to go further you might need to change one or both of those things.
    I was never the strongest kid growing up and I was never the biggest but in 7th grade I told myself I was going to be 6'5" (I made it to 6'4") and the best bodybuilder ever. My goals changed a little but the idea of being the absolute best there ever was remains constant to this day. In my opinion, it's your mental attitude and belief from the depths of your soul that take you as far as you can truly go.
    Train hard, train smart, eat right, rest and heal, BELIEVE IT, KNOW IT!
    Last edited by 81Ort; 01-22-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    "If you want to be world class you must first act world class"

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    that's a great answer.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 81Ort View Post
    Hey Travis, how big of a role do you think genetics play in becoming so damn strong? I look at you and these other guys on TV and feel pretty much worthless because i'm not even sure if my genetics will EVER allow me to get so strong. But then again i think with 100% effort, time, dedication and extreme consistency pretty much anyone can achieve your level of strength. what do you think?

I think genetics play a part in anything you do, but I don't think they limit you to certain things they way people like to say they do. I think people saying someone is just a genetic freak and that's why he is so big and strong is just their way of being lazy or giving up on themselves. The honest answer is some individuals just don't want to work hard enough to be the absolute best he or she can be. It takes years of dedication and proper training to maximize your genetic potential! And even then, who is to say that truly is your limit? It may just be your limit with that certain style of training or mental attitude and in order to go further you might need to change one or both of those things.
    I was never the strongest kid growing up and I was never the biggest but in 7th grade I told myself I was going to be 6'5" (I made it to 6'4") and the best bodybuilder ever. My goals changed a little but the idea of being the absolute best there ever was remains constant to this day. In my opinion, it's your mental attitude and belief from the depths of your soul that take you as far as you can truly go.
    Train hard, train smart, eat right, rest and heal, BELIEVE IT, KNOW IT!
    I have written something similar to this so many time Travis. Great post

short answer... you can't change your genetics anyway... so don't waste time worrying about them... just train/eat your ass off and let the chips fall where they may

81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by swolegantor View Post
    Okay enough pussy footing im asking the only question on everyone mind so we can just close this thread.

how much ya bench?
    A perfect question! Only problem is I don't have an answer anymore. My best pre-torn pec bench was 484. Now that I am missing half my upper pec I haven't even tried close to that. I guess I could get over my fear of heavy chest work again but it's not a top priority at the moment.

Originally Posted by greatestathlete View Post
    hi travis.
    how many meals do you eat a day, what your recommended amount of protein for best strength gains,
    thanks
    I try to get about 4-5 meals a day and 2-3 shakes; in total I want about 6,000-7,000 calories a day. As far as protein goes, I try to get about 1.5-2 grams/lb. bodyweight.

Originally Posted by Phill_UK View Post
    Great work in WSM 08! Will be expecting to see a top 3 finish next year!!

What is your pre workout meal?

Do you use any nutritional supplements?
    First off, I think it's awesome that your first post is a question for me! Thank you.

Pre workout I try to eat some kind of light protein (chicken is good) with some whole grain carbs (wild rice) or PB&J's will work.
    I use a ton of nutritional supplements. I like Labrada's whole food shakes, and their RTD's are awesome too. Con-Cret is the best creatine on Earth! Post workout I try to have a weight gainer shake with about 100 carbs, 70-80g protein, and 5-10g of fat. Pre workout I take Super Charge Xtreme, or Super Pump for energy. I also take a lot of vit C, joint supplements, and multi vitamins/multi minerals.

KDK will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDK will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDK will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDK will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDK will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDK will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDK will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDK will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDK will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDK will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Travis, when you were doing all those IFSA competitions in Europe, how many days before the event did you usually arrive over here? Do these plane trips (whether competitors fly from the US to Europe or vice versa), the time difference, etc have a noticeable effect on your strength?

str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    travis, looks like we are brothers in the torn pec club my friend. I tore the sternal head of my right pectoral off the tendon last february & got is surgically re-attached last march.

horrifying, not sure i'll ever bench again, too scary

xnametheric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xnametheric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xnametheric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    travis, looks like we are brothers in the torn pec club my friend. I tore the sternal head of my right pectoral off the tendon last february & got is surgically re-attached last march.

just start out light and work your way up.

Originally Posted by xnametheric View Post
    just start out light and work your way up.
    ever tear your pec?

Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ever tear your pec?
    this^^^

Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    travis what methods do you use to keep the unwanted fat off while maintaining or even increasing strength? what foods besides meats are healthy and still contain high amounts of protein and carbs?

laxxxer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) laxxxer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) laxxxer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) laxxxer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) laxxxer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) laxxxer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) laxxxer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) laxxxer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) laxxxer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) laxxxer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) laxxxer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by laxxer View Post
    do u ever do any running/sprinting?
    ???
    Now/ Goal
    squat- 405/455
    bench- 355/365
    deadlift- 615/675

Registered User greatestathlete's Avatar
    greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do you ever do glute ham raises, do you find them beneficial for hamstring strength, or do you prefer deadlifts for hams.
    thanks

dbik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Travis,

I thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions. I have a couple for you if you are so inclined to answer...an I apologize if these have been answered in previous posts.

Where is a good site located to find competitions in Europe? I am a soldier currently station in Bavaria Germany, and would like to go to a few in the local area before I head back to the states in the spring. I will then be in Alabama, and looking for competitions in that area.

What is the road to get one's procard?

Also, I understand there are two major affiliations for Strongman Competitions, are either one drug tested? Both? Neither?

I thank you for your response.

dbik
    dbik is online now Add to dbik's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message

STEADFAST88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STEADFAST88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STEADFAST88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STEADFAST88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STEADFAST88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STEADFAST88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Americans are becoming increasingly dominant in the WSM category. Between yourself and Derek Poundstone, who has the best chance at dethroning Pudzianowski? Poundstone almost did it last time, and many say that he is the best stone lifter in the world. Would you challenge that?

the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by STEADFAST88 View Post
    ......and many say that he is the best stone lifter in the world. Would you challenge that?
    Wait for it...................Wait for it...................

.........I wonder if a man that goes by "Texas Stoneman" would think he is a better atlas stone lifter than Derek Poundstone? hmmmmmmm.
    Last edited by the_pupil; 01-29-2009 at 03:58 PM.

do you ever do glute ham raises, do you find them beneficial for hamstring strength, or do you prefer deadlifts for hams.
    thanks
    from my own experience... glut ham raises made my deads immensely stronger

Originally Posted by KDK View Post
    Travis, when you were doing all those IFSA competitions in Europe, how many days before the event did you usually arrive over here? Do these plane trips (whether competitors fly from the US to Europe or vice versa), the time difference, etc have a noticeable effect on your strength?
    For most of the grand prix's I would arrive the day before. It's tough but usually you can just ride on adrenaline and be in near top condition. The longer the contest goes on the harder it is up to about a week in a far off time zone. After that you get pretty used to being there and then it's hard to come home!

Man, it was the most sickening feeling and sound I have ever experienced in my life!

Originally Posted by Mitsuomi View Post
    travis what methods do you use to keep the unwanted fat off while maintaining or even increasing strength? what foods besides meats are healthy and still contain high amounts of protein and carbs?
    Well, I'm not the leanest Strongman out there and that's probably because my favorite cheat food is pizza and cream soda and the fact that I was always the fat kid growing up... but, I am doing a lot of cardio on my off days with the elliptical machine. I use that particular machine because it is very low impact on the joints and if you crank the intensity up and go backwards it's great for interval training- feels just like a heavy sled drag!

Originally Posted by laxxer View Post
    do you ever do any running/sprinting?
    I started to do some running at the end of 2007. I would time myself doing a mile on the treadmill. After a few sessions I got down to about 8 minutes but my shins were absolutely killing me and I couldn't train my Strongman events. I have the world's flattest feet and I guess that's not very condusive to running with a 300+ lb. body. I am currently doing some light sprinting to develop foot speed. We'll see how it works out.

thanks
    I do them after deadlifts sometimes. I really like them too because you can feel them blowing your hams apart! Now that I have my G/H machine set up at home I will start doing them again every other week.

Originally Posted by dbik View Post
    Travis,

I thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions. I have a couple for you if you are so inclined to answer...an I apologize if these have been answered in previous posts.

Where is a good site located to find competitions in Europe? I am a soldier currently station in Bavaria Germany, and would like to go to a few in the local area before I head back to the states in the spring. I will then be in Alabama, and looking for competitions in that area.

What is the road to get one's procard?

Also, I understand there are two major affiliations for Strongman Competitions, are either one drug tested? Both? Neither?

I thank you for your response.

dbik
    I appreciate all you guys taking the time to ask these questions!
    If you are in Germany then I would try and contact Heinz Olesch. I know he lives in Bavaria too so that may work out in your favor. As for finding amateur competitions in America the best site to go to nastrongmaninc.com. This is the official site for all amateur Strongman contests in the USA. Being in AL you will be close to LA (Mark Cummings) and GA (Dane Garreau-my cousin) and these guys put on excellent shows each year.

Originally Posted by STEADFAST88 View Post
    Americans are becoming increasingly dominant in the WSM category. Between yourself and Derek Poundstone, who has the best chance at dethroning Pudzianowski? Poundstone almost did it last time, and many say that he is the best stone lifter in the world. Would you challenge that?
    Of course I have to say that I have the best chance!!!!
    As for Poundstone being the best stone lifter in the world, I have only heard him say that but I will attest to his ability in the Atlas Stones. The dude's a freak all around! I didn't have a great run in the stones in last year's finals but that was from my foot slipping on the 3rd stone and I nearly crushed myself with it. Arild Haugen came out and had a tremendous run on the stones but to call him the emperor of stones is too much too soon. If he continued to do it then I would have to agree but you can't earn a title like that in one competition. To answer your question in one short statement: Yes, I am the greatest stone lifter of all time. I was the first to 500 and I will be the first to 600!

VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50) VICREP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do you take a week off training between cycles to allow your body to recover?

Or do you just do a lighter week?
    Bench: 215
    Squat: 250

"Saving the world one brick at a time"
    - Ben Stapleton (Brick layer)

Originally Posted by 81Ort View Post

Man, it was the most sickening feeling and sound I have ever experienced in my life!
    you're telling me brother. It felt like saran wrap tearing.

Did you have yours surgically repaired? I got mine repaired 10 months ago

^ bighairynutsack oops ighairynutsack's Avatar
    ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    what are your thoughts on things like belts, wraps, sleeves and what not? how to you utilize them? i noticed most older lifters use a lot of them but the young guys usually just use belts and maybe wraps or sleeves.

also when you design your workouts do you have somethign that you set in stone that you want to do or do one thing a certain way? or do you have anything weird that you do for a certain reason that others think might be stupid?

sorry if this doesn't make sense i can clarify if you don't get the idea.

Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Travis,how do you prevent the FW implements from swinging(up and side or side to side)while you're walking fast?

Thanks!
    My goal when I come in everyday is to make sure if somebody beats me,it is not because they outwork me. ~Layne Norton.

Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Wink

from my own experience... glut ham raises made my deads immensely stronger
    Wow,Layne didnt realise you are here.

You're my hero man. I might dip my feet into competitive BB after my next SM contest.
    My goal when I come in everyday is to make sure if somebody beats me,it is not because they outwork me. ~Layne Norton.

Originally Posted by Doenitz79 View Post
    Wow,Layne didnt realise you are here.

You're my hero man. I might dip my feet into competitive BB after my next SM contest.
    hey thanks man. I love anything to do with training, just because I am a bodybuilder doesn't mean I don't appreciate and admire olympic lifting, worlds strongest man, and powerlifting. I am a fan of all the iron sports and respect all of them

Talking

hey thanks man. I love anything to do with training, just because I am a bodybuilder doesn't mean I don't appreciate and admire olympic lifting, worlds strongest man, and powerlifting. I am a fan of all the iron sports and respect all of them
    Layne,I think you're good enough for PL.

well i'm gonna give it a whirl!

WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500)
    No reason to stop benching. Stop doing this kind of thing -- "Tonight was Max Effort bench day and I was doing reverse band presses. I worked up to 445 X 3, 495 X 3, 535 X 1 with the heavy bands. Then I decided to go for 545. I got myself way too amped for the set, and as I lowered it to my chest, instead of focussing on proper form and hitting my lower chest/upper abs and pressing straight up I let it hit mid chest and instead of dumping it tried to press it." .....and you won't have any problems.

Originally Posted by WowWeakForum View Post
    No reason to stop benching. Stop doing this kind of thing -- "Tonight was Max Effort bench day and I was doing reverse band presses. I worked up to 445 X 3, 495 X 3, 535 X 1 with the heavy bands. Then I decided to go for 545. I got myself way too amped for the set, and as I lowered it to my chest, instead of focussing on proper form and hitting my lower chest/upper abs and pressing straight up I let it hit mid chest and instead of dumping it tried to press it." .....and you won't have any problems.
    you seem to take shots at me a lot.

My surgeon talked a lot to me about pec tears and other muscle tears. He told me 95% of pec tears occur on flat bench. He's seen people tear muscles doing things that should not cause them to tear. Sometimes **** just happens in his words. 95% of people bench the same way I was benching... wider grip with a cross style. That is the type that places you at the most risk.

Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000)
    you seem to take shots at me a lot.

My surgeon talked a lot to me about pec tears and other muscle tears. He told me 95% of pec tears occur on flat bench. He's seen people tear muscles doing things that should not cause them to tear. Sometimes **** just happens in his words. 95% of people bench the same way I was benching... wider grip with a cross style. That is the type that places you at the most risk.
    Did your Doctor ever say anything about pec tears with the Decline bench?

said flat bench is the worst, wide grip is even worse, and any barbell is worse than dumbbells. I don't think decline is as bad as flat