Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    you seem to take shots at me a lot.
    um, no...to my recollection I've never posted anything directed at you. If I have, it was a very long time ago. Oh, wait...I do remember congratulating you on a good interview, something related to nutrition.

95% of people bench the same way I was benching... wider grip with a cross style. That is the type that places you at the most risk.
    While using very heavy weight in conjunction with bands, you touched the bar to the middle of your chest. You know you should have dumped it, but instead tried to press it up. You made a mistake. That's what caused your pec tear. Don't make it again, and you're good to go.

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    again, I performed the press in the same manner of which I see 95% of the people bench press

WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500)
    again, I performed the press in the same manner of which I see 95% of the people bench press
    I disagree, but I wasn't there and didn't see you bench. It's still irrelevant to the point. You bench pressed improperly, did something stupid and made a mistake. Don't do it again, and you're good to go. No reason to give up benching because of it.

patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by WowWeakForum View Post
    I disagree, but I wasn't there and didn't see you bench. It's still irrelevant to the point. You bench pressed improperly, did something stupid and made a mistake. Don't do it again, and you're good to go. No reason to give up benching because of it.
    u mad?
    500lb deadlift crew

RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Hey Travis,
    Great having you still posting on here. I dont post often, but have been lurking and following along with your progress in your log for the last few years. Expecting big things for 2009.

Anyways, i have a question regarding axel/barbell push press/jerk. After the bar has been cleaned, and its in your hands, when you squat the weight down and exploding up is the bar seated in your hands or is it also on your chest. Ive been just doing it in the hands, but i think i would loose a lot of power that way, but find it hard to set it on my upper chest at the same time, because my arms are way back.

Thanks,
    Ryan

str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you weren't there as you said, so how in the world would you know? If you think there is no risk of tearing a pec performing a 'perfect' bench press then you are simply wrong my friend.

there is ALWAYS potential for injury. We can do our best to minimize it, but thinking 'that won't happen to me' is just you trying to make yourself feel better. It can happen to anyone.

you weren't there as you said, so how in the world would you know?
    because this "95%" you refer to aren't bench pressing to the middle of their chest with 200 lbs over their maxes by using bands (and being at the bottom of a 535 lb bench with bands isn't the same as being at the bottom with a 335 bench, or even a 380 bench)However, I still wasn't there, so this is moot.
    If you think there is no risk of tearing a pec performing a 'perfect' bench press then you are simply wrong my friend.
    There is also a risk of dying every time you walk across a street.
    It can happen to anyone.
    I've seen and run across...man, 20 (?)pec tears over the years. Yours is one of the few that didn't involve "supplements." However, just like those others, you made a big mistake in your form and how you handled getting pinned, and you admitted this in your initial post before you found out you had a pec tear. So, in my view, there still appears to be minimal risk of getting a pec tear unless one of the following is present
    1.) Certain kind of 'nutrition'
    2.) Bad form
    3.) Doing something stupid
    Combination of all those things seems to increase the risk exponentially. I'm done. I'll let you have the last word
    Last edited by WowWeakForum; 02-03-2009 at 11:12 PM.

because this "95%" you refer to aren't bench pressing to the middle of their chest with 200 lbs over their maxes by using bands (and being at the bottom of a 535 lb bench with bands isn't the same as being at the bottom with a 335 bench, or even a 380 bench)However, I still wasn't there, so this is moot. There is also a risk of dying every time you walk across a street. I've seen and run across...man, 20 (?)pec tears over the years. Yours is one of the few that didn't involve "supplements." However, just like those others, you made a big mistake in your form and how you handled getting pinned, and you admitted this in your initial post before you found out you had a pec tear. So, in my view, there still appears to be minimal risk of getting a pec tear unless one of the following is present
    1.) Certain kind of 'nutrition'
    2.) Bad form
    3.) Doing something stupid
    Combination of all those things seems to increase the risk exponentially. I'm done. I'll let you have the last word
    I am not going to address anymore of these posts as you were not there. You can believe what you want to believe. I did a ton of research on pec tears and read through many various forums and found plenty of guys not on the sauce who tore their pecs doing flat bench. Hell another guy in our gym tore his pec doing bench press and he is a natural bodybuilder. So if you want to believe there is absolutely no way you can tear a pec doing a proper cross syle bench press then go ahead and believe that fallacy. Now please, if you want to continue this, send me a PM if you want to quibble with me further. Otherwise let us stop polluting Travis' thread.

N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I am not going to address anymore of these posts as you were not there. You can believe what you want to believe. I did a ton of research on pec tears and read through many various forums and found plenty of guys not on the sauce who tore their pecs doing flat bench. Hell another guy in our gym tore his pec doing bench press and he is a natural bodybuilder. So if you want to believe there is absolutely no way you can tear a pec doing a proper cross syle bench press then go ahead and believe that fallacy. Now please, if you want to continue this, send me a PM if you want to quibble with me further. Otherwise let us stop polluting Travis' thread.
    ^^
    I admire your patience and calm replies Layne

Yes - pec tears can occur when using perfect form.
    Back injuries can occur when deadlifting with perfect form.

There's a reason why the word accident exists.

81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by VICREP View Post
    Do you take a week off training between cycles to allow your body to recover?

Or do you just do a lighter week?
    I'll take a week off after most shows and sometimes I'll do 2 light weeks after one of the big 3.

you're telling me brother. It felt like saran wrap tearing.

Did you have yours surgically repaired? I got mine repaired 10 months ago
    I don't have insurance so that wasn't an option unless I lost total function in the muscle. Now I just have this nasty gap in my upper pec... It sucks. I wish I could have gotten it repaired.

Originally Posted by ighairynutsack View Post
    what are your thoughts on things like belts, wraps, sleeves and what not? how to you utilize them? i noticed most older lifters use a lot of them but the young guys usually just use belts and maybe wraps or sleeves.

also when you design your workouts do you have somethign that you set in stone that you want to do or do one thing a certain way? or do you have anything weird that you do for a certain reason that others think might be stupid?

sorry if this doesn't make sense i can clarify if you don't get the idea.
    I use them only when necessary. I try to do all my warm-ups and beginning work sets without any supports then when the weight gets heavy I start putting stuff on. I do use a lot of linaments and I warm up very well before any time I lift big weights.

Originally Posted by Doenitz79 View Post
    Travis,how do you prevent the FW implements from swinging(up and side or side to side)while you're walking fast?

Thanks!
    Heal toe! Think this when you are walking with the weights. You can't just walk like you normally do you have to be smooth. It's kind of like walking with books on your head.
    "If you want to be world class you must first act world class"

Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I get very sore elbow joints while training with the stones, have you experienced any discomfort while doing the stones and if so how did you get around it.

Originally Posted by 81Ort View Post
    I'll take a week off after most shows and sometimes I'll do 2 light weeks after one of the big 3.

I don't have insurance so that wasn't an option unless I lost total function in the muscle. Now I just have this nasty gap in my upper pec... It sucks. I wish I could have gotten it repaired.

I use them only when necessary. I try to do all my warm-ups and beginning work sets without any supports then when the weight gets heavy I start putting stuff on. I do use a lot of linaments and I warm up very well before any time I lift big weights.

Heal toe! Think this when you are walking with the weights. You can't just walk like you normally do you have to be smooth. It's kind of like walking with books on your head.
    Hey Travis,
    If you do have health insurance now, you may still be able to get it fixed. Some surgeons have performed reattachments up to 10 years post injury

81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 81Ort is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by RyanE View Post
    Hey Travis,
    Great having you still posting on here. I dont post often, but have been lurking and following along with your progress in your log for the last few years. Expecting big things for 2009.

Anyways, i have a question regarding axel/barbell push press/jerk. After the bar has been cleaned, and its in your hands, when you squat the weight down and exploding up is the bar seated in your hands or is it also on your chest. Ive been just doing it in the hands, but i think i would lose a lot of power that way, but find it hard to set it on my upper chest at the same time, because my arms are way back.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    I keep the bar across my shoulders. Watch how Olympic lifters rack the bar: shoulders forward, elbows forward, and wrists locked on the bar giving it a solid starting position. This allows all the power from your legs to be transferred into the bar. Think of it like this, picture one of those desktop ball bearing things (the 5 balls hanging from strings where you pull one back, let it swing into the others then the last one gets knocked away then it swings back and this goes on and on...). Well, your legs are the first ball, your torso is the 3 in the middle, and the bar is the 5th ball that goes shooting off after the energy is transferred from your leg drive. The 3 ball bearings in the middle act as one solid piece therefore ALL the energy is transferred into the last, 5th, ball. If there is any space between any of these balls the energy is dissipated and lost. So, if you don't have the bar racked solidly on your shoulders then you will lose some of your leg drive and end up with a lower press.
    This make sense?

RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RyanE is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Thanks for the reply.

Makes perfect sense, great analogy.

Originally Posted by Theeos View Post
    I get very sore elbow joints while training with the stones, have you experienced any discomfort while doing the stones and if so how did you get around it.
    I used to as well. Do you use tacky? If not, then you may be cradling the stones too much thus straining the biceps. If you use tacky then keep your arms a little straighter and use your body to lift them. Basically, latch onto the stone with your chest close to it then use your legs and low back to lift it into your lap. Imagine yourself as a crane, your arms are the hooks and your legs and low back are the only moving parts. Once you have lifted the stone high enough roll it into your lap (you will probably need to bend your arms for this but that is ok). Roll the stone high onto your chest then get your hands over the top of it (a little above the midpoint of the stone) and roll it up your body as you extend your legs and body upwards then go up on your toes and push it forward. This should take a lot of the strain off the biceps and put it on other larger muscles.

Hey Travis,
    If you do have health insurance now, you may still be able to get it fixed. Some surgeons have performed reattachments up to 10 years post injury
    I have heard about some guys having success with that. I don't yet have insurance but I am working on that problem and I will definitely look into getting it fixed. I hate the feeling of it when I do any sort of chest exercises...

let me know if you want the name of good surgeons. I know a few as I did some shopping around

Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theeos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I used to as well. Do you use tacky? If not, then you may be cradling the stones too much thus straining the biceps. If you use tacky then keep your arms a little straighter and use your body to lift them. Basically, latch onto the stone with your chest close to it then use your legs and low back to lift it into your lap. Imagine yourself as a crane, your arms are the hooks and your legs and low back are the only moving parts. Once you have lifted the stone high enough roll it into your lap (you will probably need to bend your arms for this but that is ok). Roll the stone high onto your chest then get your hands over the top of it (a little above the midpoint of the stone) and roll it up your body as you extend your legs and body upwards then go up on your toes and push it forward. This should take a lot of the strain off the biceps and put it on other larger muscles.

Cheers mate, its only in the pick up that causes the sorness, eveything else with the lift is fine and no I dont use tacky at the moment. Used it once in a comp but had the wrong type for the weather conditions so it went hard while on my hands and i couldnt get a decent grip so that is why i have steered away from using it. The technique you mentioned about keeping my arms straight and using them as hooks is exactly how i have been working on my pick up form but yeah, I think the tacky will help alot.

I totally neglected the fact that you probably have tendonitis... Have you done any treatment for this? Ice your arms after all workouts, take some anti inflammatories, and use some type of linament on your arms before training. On off days, or several hours after your post training icing, do some hot/cold therapy. Ice the area for about 10 minutes (until really cold) then heat it for 5 or until it's hot. Then repeat this a few times ending with ice.

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I totally neglected the fact that you probably have tendonitis... Have you done any treatment for this? Ice your arms after all workouts, take some anti inflammatories, and use some type of linament on your arms before training. On off days, or several hours after your post training icing, do some hot/cold therapy. Ice the area for about 10 minutes (until really cold) then heat it for 5 or until it's hot. Then repeat this a few times ending with ice.
    good call. that's exactly what my wife's doc had her doing, except after work. she's got tendonitis (elbows), right arm in a cast right now. last step before surgery if it doesn't get better.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

Registered User greatestathlete's Avatar
    greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

deadlifts

1) for deadlifts i do 6-8 sets of 3-5 reps, rhen some assistance exercises, is this a good way to start building basic strength.
    2) do you remember how much could you squat, deadlift and bench when you were 19.
    3) what routine has helped you the most for the basic gym/powerlifts.
    thanks

Originally Posted by greatestathlete View Post
    1) for deadlifts i do 6-8 sets of 3-5 reps, rhen some assistance exercises, is this a good way to start building basic strength.
    2) do you remember how much could you squat, deadlift and bench when you were 19.
    3) what routine has helped you the most for the basic gym/powerlifts.
    thanks
    1. Way too many sets. Stick with 1-3 sets of 3-6 reps. For building basic strength (ie: for a beginner) do a simple pyramid style rep scheme. Do some warm-ups of 10 and 8 reps then one set each of 6, 4, and 3 reps with increasing weight. I prefer to always leave one rep in the tank with deadlifts.

2. I am not exactly sure but if I had to guess what I was lifting at 19 I'd say: ~405 squat (for a few reps maybe), ~585 DL, and ~350 bench.

3. I think consistancy and eating properly helped me the most. I did a lot of routines in that time so it's hard to narrow it down.

Registered User greatestathlete's Avatar
    greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greatestathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks
    do you think 3 sets of 90% 1 rep max would be better for deadlift once a week, than 6-8sets. not including warm ups.
    is deadlifting with a mirror bad. i heard its not good for learning form
    thanks

codyhawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) codyhawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) codyhawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) codyhawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) codyhawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) codyhawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) codyhawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) codyhawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) codyhawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) codyhawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) codyhawk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How important do you feel height plays in Strongman? Have you met any pro strongmen who are short yet successful?

Curious for myself honestly...I've been meaning to pick up the sport, but don't know of many gyms in my area that carry atlas stones and such. There's another question, what do you suggest I do if I can't find a gym in my area that has equipment supporting strongman?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
    - Aristotle

Originally Posted by codyhawk View Post
    How important do you feel height plays in Strongman? Have you met any pro strongmen who are short yet successful?

Curious for myself honestly...I've been meaning to pick up the sport, but don't know of many gyms in my area that carry atlas stones and such. There's another question, what do you suggest I do if I can't find a gym in my area that has equipment supporting strongman?

check out http://www.ac-strongman.com/
    not sure about gyms, but i know there is a few training groups in and around NS, including the newly turned pro Grant Conners in Kentville.

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    1. Do all the elite strongman get along really well with each other at big competitions, or are they pretty serious?
    2. Who do you enjoy competing with the most?
    3. Are there any crazy strongman party stories you have?

Mr.Fail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Fail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Fail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Fail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Fail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Fail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Fail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Fail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Fail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    travis ur one of my favorite strongman, i hope you win it one day....

can u tell me how important is endurance in events?

how many pounds can Mariusz Squat?

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    from my own experience... glute ham raises made my deads immensely stronger
    really? do you feel that your hams were just your weak point prior to doing them? Myself, I found that my hip strength (or lack of) was my weak point on the dead.

killerj96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerj96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerj96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerj96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerj96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerj96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerj96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerj96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerj96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerj96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killerj96 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hey travis question about strongman training. my football team is taking 9 guys to a strongman type challenge for lineman called the pitt big man challenge. we do stuff like fat bar bench for reps with 185 and trapbar deadlift for reps with 275. and real strongman type stuff like tire flip, trap bar carry(kinda like a farmers walk), 30 lb overhead medicine ball throw and the prowler sled. what is the best way to get prepared for stuff like this?
    Bench: 245x4; 185x15; 255(got 265 but my spotter had his fingertips on the bar so i count it as a miss)
    Board Press: 4 board; 315 for 2
    Squat: 425 raw
    Deadlift: 460 trap bar deadlift- 365 regular bar(attempted 405 couldve gotten it but got "distracted"
    Hang Clean: 225
    Standing Strict OHP: 135 for 6
    CoC#2: CLOSED

the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000) the_pupil is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by killerj96 View Post
    hey travis question about strongman training. my football team is taking 9 guys to a strongman type challenge for lineman called the pitt big man challenge. we do stuff like fat bar bench for reps with 185 and trapbar deadlift for reps with 275. and real strongman type stuff like tire flip, trap bar carry(kinda like a farmers walk), 30 lb overhead medicine ball throw and the prowler sled. what is the best way to get prepared for stuff like this?
    You dont need travis for this one.....Practice those events. No different than strongman. Train in the gym to get stronger and train the events to get better at the events.

Originally Posted by codyhawk View Post

I have known a lot of top Strongman competitors who were under 6 feet. Mariusz is 5'11", Vidas Blakaitus is about 5'8", and Andrew "Stumpy" Raines is 5'3" just to name a few.
    You need to make your own stuff. Just start out with some homemade farmer's handles and a tire if you can find one. Then look for training groups around your area. Good luck!!

Originally Posted by someonefat View Post
    1. Do all the elite strongman get along really well with each other at big competitions, or are they pretty serious?
    2. Who do you enjoy competing with the most?
    3. Are there any crazy strongman party stories you have?
    1.Yes, these guys are some of my best friends. I have let other guys use my equipment if they needed something and they have let me use theirs.
    2.I can't really say. I always enjoy competing with these guys.
    3. None that I can mention here...

Originally Posted by Mr.Fail View Post
    travis ur one of my favorite strongman, i hope you win it one day....

can u tell me how important is endurance in events?

how many pounds can Mariusz Squat?
    Man, I appreciate that. Endurance is very important. If you don't have enough stamina to keep going at full capacity then you will get run over by the guys who do. Having enough endurance to make it through an event will also help with your other events since you will have enough energy to recover fully between them. Strongman has changed drastically over the past 5 years. It used to be all about brute strength with a bit of cardio, then in the late 90's and early 2000's they had more speed events and rep events. Now the max weights used in previous WSM's are used for reps and speed events! You have to be stronger than ever and still be able to move like a bat out of Hell.

Originally Posted by killerj96 View Post
    Like the pupil said, practice them! A quick tip on the axle bench for reps: use wrist wraps. They will make your wrists much more stable and you may get a couple extra reps since your hands won't be a weak point. Also, make sure your cardio is good. It looks like you will be doing a lot of reps on that day!